Wii U

LakituderSchnell said:
Yes, it is more powerful.

Explain, please. What are the tech specs? Sorry, but I've gotta cock an eyebrow at that.

Dankey Kang said:
Anyone see that Game Theory that compared Wii U to Virtual Boy? Or did you already talk about that?

That was here earlier.

But now there is a follow-up to that now. At the end of that video, it said it may not be Nintendo's fault for the lack of interest in some of their games. Basically shows that is seems most gamers aren't looking for innovation. Although Nintendo struck rich with the Original Wii, it seems doing what they did is like mining for gold and diamonds. Sometimes you strike rich with huge nuggets of gold and big diamonds. But other times all you find is rock, soil, and the little gold that there is, is very small. Which seemed have been the case with the Gamecube and Wii U.

Amphituber said:
Explain, please. What are the tech specs? Sorry, but I've gotta cock an eyebrow at that.

Not sure if there are more recent ones.

HARDWARE
Width 6.8 inches
Depth 10.5 inches
Height 1.8 inches
Color Black, White
Exterior surface Glossy
PERFORMANCE
CPU brand IBM
CPU speed 3 GHz
GPU brand AMD
GPU model Radeon
GPU ram 32 MB
RAM 2 GB
CONNECTIVITY
Wi-Fi Yes
Wi-Fi support 802.11n, 802.11g, 802.11b
802.11n frequencies 2.4GHz
AUDIO / VIDEO
Supported resolutions 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i
PORTS
Audio / Video output HDMI, Component, Composite, S-Video
Controller connection Wireless, Wired
USB 4
STORAGE
Internal storage 32 GB, 8 GB
User upgradeable Yes
External memory USB mass storage, SD, SDHC
SOFTWARE
Game media Disc
Online multiplayer Yes
Online store Yes
Backwards compatibility Wii
POWER
Power supply External

HARDWARE
Color Black
Exterior surface Matte
PERFORMANCE
CPU brand PowerPC
CPU model Xenon
CPU speed 3.2 GHz
CPU cores 3
GPU brand ATI
GPU model Xenos
RAM 512 MB
CONNECTIVITY
Wi-Fi Yes
IR Yes
AUDIO / VIDEO
Supported resolutions 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p
Audio / Video playback DVD, CD
Supported video files MPEG4, AVI, WMV, DivX, Xvid, MOV
PORTS
Audio / Video output Proprietary, HDMI, Digital optical
Physical controller port(s) 4
Wireless connection type Proprietary
USB 5
Ethernet Yes
STORAGE
Internal storage 250 GB, 4 GB
User upgradeable Yes
External memory Memory card, USB mass storage
SOFTWARE
Game media Disc
Online multiplayer Yes
Online store Yes
Backwards compatibility Xbox (partial)
POWER
Power supply External

HARDWARE
Width 11.42 inches
Depth 9.06 inches
Height 2.36 inches
Weight 4.63 pounds
Color Black, White
Exterior surface Glossy
PERFORMANCE
CPU model Cell Broadband Engine
GPU model RSX
GPU ram 256 MB
RAM 256 MB
CONNECTIVITY
Wi-Fi Yes
Wi-Fi support 802.11g, 802.11b
Bluetooth Yes
AUDIO / VIDEO
3D enabled Yes
Audio / Video playback DVD, Blu-ray, CD
PORTS
Audio / Video output Proprietary, HDMI, Digital optical
Wireless connection type Bluetooth
USB 2
Ethernet Yes
STORAGE
Internal storage 12 GB, 250 GB, 500 GB
User upgradeable Yes
SOFTWARE
Game media Disc
Online multiplayer Yes
Online store Yes
POWER
Power supply Integrated
BUNDLED ACCESSORIES
Bundled Accessories Wireless Controller (Dualshock 3)

Except the gamepad is 100% not being punched in the fucking screen proof

Ulrich said:
What's with all this negativity?

Even if Nintendo lost 250 Million dollars every year, they would be able to substain until 2052. They have that much money from their business.

The Wii U is far from a failure. It just simply has not picked up as quickly as Nintendo wanted it to. The media are blowing it up like it's going to be the next virtual boy. It's just like with plane crashes where the media is all over it due to the rarity of it. So yeah, Nintendo rarely has this happen.

The system is awesome though. The gamepad is very innovative, the storage is much bigger than the Wii's storage, there is a social network called Miiverse on there, and HD quality for games. Plus you don't have to pay handsome amounts of money for controllers and stuff since they reuse the Wiimotes.

The 1st party games are far from the problem as well. I mean, Super Mario 3D World getting famed as one of the best Mario games in years, the release of Pikmin 3 that many fans have been hoping for for countless years, and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze being a very high ranked game.

Again, the main issue I see is the support of games on the system. I don't think Nintendo really got enough attention yet as they did with the Wii since many of their games are not the "big" ones. I mean, when the Wii came out, we had a new Zelda pushing the sales on the console, a new Mario 3D Platformer (Galaxy) that was coming out shortly, the hype from Smash Bros. that was going to originally come up in 2007, and plenty of new games like Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play, etc.

I have no doubt that Mario Kart 8 will push the sales, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will drastically push the sales, and - depending on if they go with a Zelda that rallied the fans like Twilight Princess - continue to push the sales on the Wii U.

And I'm 99.9% confident that in 2016 they'll still be pushing the system. I don't think another console will come out into maybe 2017 or 2018.
okay bmb i can't argue with you in mafia but i can argue with you here

the wii u isn't the next virtual boy - which failed because it was an inherently flawed product - but the fact remains that it's been out for nearly a year and a half now and isn't doing well. which is bad when you take into consideration that there have been numerous first party games, price cuts, and bundles, yet the xbox one and ps4 have both at least caught up to the wii u in the short time they've been out. the 3ds started out slowly, but once the price cut hit it took off like a rocket. that's not happening with the wii u

the system is not "awesome", at least in my opinion. while the gamepad offers some great ideas, it hasn't really been used much in games and has failed to provide many unique experiences. the storage is greater than the wii's, sure, but it's also 6.4% of the storage in the xbox one and the ps4. hell, dkctf takes up like a third of that space. not that impressive. hd is a technology all of the competitors have had for years now, and while miiverse is cool, it fails to make up for the wii u's terrible online friend support. and wii u pro controllers cost $50 a pop, which is still expensive

as i said, 1st party games are great but not only are they failing to draw in consumers, they're failing to draw in 3rd party companies, who have mostly given up on the wii u. nintendo can't carry the console by itself

will smash push the system? yes, but i don't think as much as you expect it to. the wii did well because it offered an experience that you couldn't get anywhere else. the wii u offers that too, but it's hardly used and terribly advertised. every commercial i see for the wii u says "well, yeah it's like the wii, but you can play yet another mario game on it along with a zelda remake". that's not selling the console's best features, it's just making it sound like an attempt to pull in money by nintendo

The problem for the Wii U is not competing with the PS3 and Xbox 360, it's competing with the superior PS4 and Xbox 1 (I still think that's a dumb name). The Wii U is just not technically up to par with them.

Junketsu said:
Amphituber said:

Not sure if there are more recent ones.

HARDWARE
Width 6.8 inches
Depth 10.5 inches
Height 1.8 inches
Color Black, White
Exterior surface Glossy
PERFORMANCE
CPU brand IBM
CPU speed 3 GHz
GPU brand AMD
GPU model Radeon
GPU ram 32 MB
RAM 2 GB
CONNECTIVITY
Wi-Fi Yes
802.11n frequencies 2.4GHz
AUDIO / VIDEO
PORTS
Audio / Video output HDMI, Component, Composite, S-Video
USB 4
STORAGE
Internal storage 32 GB, 8 GB
User upgradeable Yes
External memory USB mass storage, SD, SDHC
SOFTWARE
Game media Disc
Online multiplayer Yes
Online store Yes
Backwards compatibility Wii
POWER
Power supply External
PS4-vs-Xbox-One-specs.jpg

Baby Luigi said:
game guy said:
Anser said:
Contra(dictory) said:
the Wii U is stronger than the PS3 and 360

*bleep* you talkin about

It isn't. Or, if it is, it hasn't shown its true power yet, and I really don't know what the *bleep* they're waiting for.
game designers are to lazy to optimize there graphics for the wii u :-\

If they were too lazy to optimize their graphics, we wouldn't have games like Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 running at a constant 60 fps
Too bad 3D World only runs at 720p

^yeah, i know NSMBU, SM3DW, and DKCTF all run at 720p upscaled to 1080p

the wii u is a lot more like the dreamcast than the virtual boy. the dreamcast was a great console, but it launched too late, right around the time better consoles were coming out in a new generation.

Aiko Heiwa said:
Baby Luigi said:
game guy said:
Anser said:
Contra(dictory) said:
the Wii U is stronger than the PS3 and 360

*bleep* you talkin about

It isn't. Or, if it is, it hasn't shown its true power yet, and I really don't know what the *bleep* they're waiting for.
game designers are to lazy to optimize there graphics for the wii u :-\

If they were too lazy to optimize their graphics, we wouldn't have games like Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 running at a constant 60 fps
Too bad 3D World only runs at 720p

I'd rather have 720p @ 60 fps than 1080 @ 30 fps

Howl said:
the storage is greater than the wii's, sure, but it's also 6.4% of the storage in the xbox one and the ps4. hell, dkctf takes up like a third of that space. not that impressive.

This point has been brought up so many times, it's old. You can easily by an external harddrive and just plug it into the Wii U. It's as simple as shoving a USB into the back of it. This is a moot point now. Unlike the PS4, the Wii U doesn't have to install disc based games into the harddrive. If they added more memory, the console would be more expensive. If you buy mostly digital on the Wii U, then yes you'll need an upgrade. If you rarely buy digital games from the E-Shop, like myself, then you won't need the upgrade, or at least not any time soon. The Xbox One is a whole different story. Read this for more detail. I'm not saying that the Wii U coming with 32GB is a good thing, but I definitely think people are blowing it way out of proportion.

Howl said:
and wii u pro controllers cost $50 a pop, which is still expensive

I have no idea why you brought this up, since both the PS4 and Xbox One controllers are more expensive. Expensive compared to the Wiimote? Yes.

Howl said:
[...]and terribly advertised. every commercial i see for the wii u says "well, yeah it's like the wii, but you can play yet another mario game on it along with a zelda remake"

Can't disagree here, the Wii U's marketing is abysmal right now, although at least they've started to do commercials.

This point has been brought up so many times, it's old. You can easily by an external harddrive and just plug it into the Wii U. It's as simple as shoving a USB into the back of it. This is a moot point now. Unlike the PS4, the Wii U doesn't have to install disc based games into the harddrive.
I was really just responding to bmb, who implied the wii u had a ridiculously large amount of storage. you do have a point that the wii u can have less storage because it can play discs, though. i forgot that the other consoles can't do that
I have no idea why you brought this up, since both the PS4 and Xbox One controllers are more expensive. Expensive compared to the Wiimote? Yes.
again, I was responding to BMB, who said that you don't have to pay handsome amounts of money for a controller. maybe i just have weird standards, but if you have to pay $200 for four people to play a game, i think that's still ridiculous
LakituderSchnell said:
Howl said:
the wii u is a lot more like the dreamcast than the virtual boy. the dreamcast was a great console, but it launched too late, right around the time better consoles were coming out in a new generation.
Except the Wii U was the first one.
except the wii u appears to be closer to last gen than the current gen

LakituderSchnell said:
Howl said:
Except the Wii U was the first one.

The deamcast also was the first one.
Dreamcast: 1999
PS2: 2000
Xbox and Gamcube: 2001

Ignoring all of the spec, release and money drama going on in this thread...

All of this console war crap is stupid in my opinion. To be honest, determination of the success of a console is really hit or miss. You can have a console with very good specs and good games, but they can sale very bad or not compete with the other consoles or the console in the lead and vice versa.

All types of console wars are stupid. Just buy a system with the games you want with it and have fun with them. Why do you care how well another console does or how more "advanced" it is than the console you own? I don't.

Baby Luigi said:
All types of console wars are stupid. Just buy a system with the games you want with it and have fun with them. Why do you care how well another console does or how more "advanced" it is than the console you own? I don't.
B-b-but how else will I justify my several hundred dollars I spent on what amounts to a fancy toy?

Back