Mario Sports Mix - Sports Mix mode stories **spoilers**

MnSG

Cosmic Beauty
I managed to complete Sports Mix mode today, and I thought that I'd make this thread for those who want to state their Sports Mix mode achievements. For those who don't know, Sports Mix mode is a tournament that involves ALL the sports in the game. The difficulty is set at "Expert", which makes it the final challenge after Hard mode.

I'll start off with my story...

Mushroom Cup
For the Mushroom Cup, I did 2-on-2 with Ninja and Bowser Jr.. 1st round was Basketball; 2nd round was Volleyball; final round was Hockey. Amazingly, I had to face Yoshi three times in a row. For round 1, he was with Peach; round 2, Waluigi; finals, Cactuar. I survived with very few issues. In fact, the finals was a cakewalk, considering that it was a Hockey match at Peach's Castle.

Flower Cup
I went 2-on-2 with Bowser Jr. and Cactuar. 1st round was Hockey; 2nd round was Dodgeball; final round was Volleyball. I briefly had some issues with the team of Wario and Mario for Hockey, but defeated them in the end. For Dodgeball, Daisy was one of my opponents. Volleyball, the team of Toad and Slime gave me a rough start for the second set, but I managed to win the first two sets.

Star Cup
Now, for the Star Cup story. This story is longer than the others, so I'll explain in parts.

I went 3-on-3 with the team of Mario, White Mage, and Bowser Jr..

Round 1: First round was Dodgeball, where I went up against two Yoshis and Bowser at the Wario Factory. The Yoshis were tough, but Bowser was the bull's eye, since his defensive move is useless against items. When I knocked out Bowser, I did everything in my power to make sure that none of my players were knocked out. In the end, I won the first two sets, and advanced to round 2.

Round 2: Second round was Hockey, where I went up against Slime, Yoshi, and Diddy Kong. The court was Waluigi Pinball, which made things trickier than normal. I dealt with a lot of close calls and lucky breaks during that matchup.

Finals: Lastly, there's the Final Fantasy team at the Star Ship. I faced them in a Basketball match, and that team sure gave me a run for my money. It took me two attempts to beat the team, but at least I kept the scores close. Some of the various nuisances included the Black Mage's shots, and I frequently had to do team combos to score. Fortunately, with my second attempt, I managed to win.

Behemoth King: After beating the Final Fantasy team, I was up against the Behemoth King. I started things out by controlling Mario, but once Behemoth King's health went below 50%, I switched to controlling Bowser Jr.. His high speed helped me when it came to powering up the meteor ball, and I eventually defeated it. Of course, White Mage did get knocked out briefly during the struggle.

And that's pretty much my Sports Mix mode story. Of course, I completed Hard mode for all sports before attempting this challenge; taking each difficulty one step at a time can be pretty helpful.

Feel free to post your scenarios with Sports Mix mode, and maybe even comment on the others. Just keep the discussions clean.

I have finished the Mushroom Cup, Flower Cup, and Star Cup for both Hard and Normal modes for basketball, and I finished the Mushroom Cup and Flower Cup on normal mode for volleyball. Pretty much now I'm either taking alternate routes to unlock characters and new outfits. But I am also going to do more tournaments. I've unlocked Moogle for both Basketball and Volleyball, and recently Slime for basketball. Haven't used him yet though.

SPOILERS: You can get a tennis-wear outfit for Peach by using alternate routes on the Mushroom Cup

SPOILERS FINISHED

I unlocked Slime by playing 28 matches, and just by getting Moogle, I, well, I just played. The Star Cup against the FF characters in Basketball can get hard for me sometimes though.

I've only completed the hard and normal tournaments on basketball and dodgeball. The others are so insanely boring that I just can't play them.

One time when I was playing basketball in a tournament, I made one of my characters take the ball and stand in the corner. I stood there for the rest of the game and didn't move at all. The CPUs were so stupid that they didn't even try to go after me. They just ran back and fourth. That's why I can't stand playing the hockey and volleyball tournaments. The CPUs are terrible.

Fawfulfury65 said:
I've only completed the hard and normal tournaments on basketball and dodgeball. The others are so insanely boring that I just can't play them.

One time when I was playing basketball in a tournament, I made one of my characters take the ball and stand in the corner. I stood there for the rest of the game and didn't move at all. The CPUs were so stupid that they didn't even try to go after me. They just ran back and fourth. That's why I can't stand playing the hockey and volleyball tournaments. The CPUs are terrible.

Stall in hockey for the normal tournaments. The match will go by quicker because there are no cutscenes/pauses. And maybe torture someone like Waluigi because it is funny. Don't worry Fawfulfury, you're not the only one who thinks these are tedious. I play 4 minute, 5 period hockey matches regularly, and even though it is only 4 minutes for each period, it took about 45 minutes to completely destroy Waluigi, Donkey Kong, and Wario with 134 points :D

I love stupid computers more than smart ones. I can say that they are being themself too much and they give us (LGM and I) something to make fun about.

For volleyball, try making the computers screw up by throwing an item at them while they try passing to each other. It's funny seeing the camera aim at the sad characters (makes them look stupid) rather than you happy. It'll take longer, though, but it is worth it to me.

I have a question: how big is the difficulty spike between Hard Tournament and Sports Mix? Cosmo and I found Hard tournament to be fairly easy.

What is the achievement for beating Sports Mix?

Scrub Jay said:
I have a question: how big is the difficulty spike between Hard Tournament and Sports Mix? Cosmo and I found Hard tournament to be fairly easy.

What is the achievement for beating Sports Mix?

You do get a background change for the main menu after clearing Sports Mix mode; the coloring is different. Also, there is a guy who recorded his Sports Mix playthrough, who stated that as the opposing CPU's AI increases, your teammate's AI gets weaker. Refer to the Youtube link below for more details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nNXZHXo61M

Eh, I have my sis with me instead of the stupid AI. Is Sports Mix mode like beating up Ninja and White Mage in the Hard tournament?

Cosmopolitan said:
Eh, I have my sis with me instead of the stupid AI. Is Sports Mix mode like beating up Ninja and White Mage in the Hard tournament?

All that I can say is that certain teams can give you a hard time as you advance. Sometimes, you have to get lucky with your opponents.

Mushroom Cup was wayyy too easy. LGM and I destroyed the competition with more than 20 points in the lead in all matches. A match with Ninja and White Mage in Hard tournament felt harder than this.

Cosmopolitan said:
Mushroom Cup was wayyy too easy. LGM and I destroyed the competition with more than 20 points in the lead in all matches. A match with Ninja and White Mage in Hard tournament felt harder than this.

Well that was only the beginning. Wait until you get to the Star Cup, and you'll likely notice the difficulty skyrocket.

Um, I beat Sports Mix Mode today and I haven't seen much of a difficulty spike. The semi-finals in Star Cup was basketball, and LeftyGreenMario and we killed Luigi and Toad 42-20. Don't get me started on the first round: we killed Bowser and Moogle in hockey about 114-31

Against Ninja and White Mage in dodgeball, I managed to get myself killed in the first two sets and we lost the first set to them. But on the second set, we pwned them and we ended up with no one killed (though I had to say I was killed and I got revived by killing White Mage. LeftyGreenMario got defeated in the third set, but not before White Mage and I finally took out Ninja with my Special Attack. Oh, and I had full HP remaining when I finished him off.

In the fight against Behemoth King, LGM remained with half her HP left and I with just a tiny sliver of HP left (any attack and I'm dead). Still, we killed Behemoth King before he can kill me, and that's thanks to our special attack.

All of this occurred in one try, BTW.

MnSG said:
Cosmopolitan said:

Well that was only the beginning. Wait until you get to the Star Cup, and you'll likely notice the difficulty skyrocket.

Nope, Cosmo and I didn't notice a difficulty spike.

We beat Sports Mix mode on our first try. Most matches were something like 42-20, which means we didn't win by luck. Basketball is also definitely my weakest sport.

I'm not in the mood to try Sports Mix by myself. I'm very glad that I have a twin sister to play with.

In case you were wondering, I was Mario while Cosmo was Toad.

Difficulty is only with one player.

Two players just make it a cakewalk, as one would expect.

adiosToreador said:

I was wondering why people thought Sports Mix mode was a cakewalk. Guess I wouldn't know, since I'm always playing alone.

Anyway, is there anyone who cleared Sports Mix mode, but NOT with a friend?

I'm feeling like an idiot now.

I completed it yesterday. It was, honestly, horrible at some points.

The CPUs were just getting lucky because they kept on getting red shells and bob-ombs.

What made it even worse was that it seemed most of the matches were hockey, which is my worst sport in that game. To make matters worse, hockey was the final match against Ninja and his crew.

Also, did I mention luck can either make or break the match, unlike in normal and hard where luck can just sway the points a bit?

I remember a point where my sister and I were going to lose a period in Basketball in Hard Star Tournament Finals, but I got a three-pointer at the last second.

I feel that the CPU use hax luck more often in harder difficulties.

adiosToreador said:
I completed it yesterday. It was, honestly, horrible at some points.

The CPUs were just getting lucky because they kept on getting red shells and bob-ombs.

What made it even worse was that it seemed most of the matches were hockey, which is my worst sport in that game. To make matters worse, hockey was the final match against Ninja and his crew.

Also, did I mention luck can either make or break the match, unlike in normal and hard where luck can just sway the points a bit?

Yeah I was fortunate that I got Basketball (one of my stronger sports) when I faced the Final Fantasy team. I did lose the first match, but the score was close. Tried again, and won the second match.

The guy who used the team of Daisy, Donkey Kong, and Mario had to face the Final Fantasy team in a Dodgeball match, which was bad news if you don't have items in your arsenal. Just look at the following video, and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35_mV4FbGdY

Items help tremendously. The Star, although most likely occurring when the team is losing badly, is the cheapest of them all.

Items can be a real nuisance though. The CPUs seem like they get better items. However, all items have their own uses. Even the banana is useful if you equip the ball/puck with it.

What irks me though, is that the CPUs seem to get more ? panels. I'm pretty sure there are more ways to up a difficulty without providing bias and cheapness for the CPU teams.

adiosToreador said:

That is incorrect. All of this depends on your teammates, their skill, and their ability to cooperate with you. If they meet all the criteria, then, of course, the game is cakewalk. But if they lack one of these qualities, they can make a game better or worse for you.

Cosmopolitan said:
adiosToreador said:

That is incorrect. All of this depends on your teammates, their skill, and their ability to cooperate with you.
Well, it seems both you are your sister are good and can cooperate, so it should've been a cakewalk in your case. If you're playing with someone that absolutely lacks the the two things you mentioned, then obviously it will be difficult. Like MnSG said, your teammates' AI decreases, to make things harder.

1 good person and 2 useless teammates (my case) < 2 good people and 1 useless teammate (your case)

Um, playing with 3 CPU's was not an option for us for some reason. We played with each other and that's it.

Back