Friendly for Girl players?

Do you hope more or more recurring female characters in Mario games ?

• More

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • Just now like this

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Less ?

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • No idea

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters
Scrub Jay said:
You can't just shoo off the baby characters. I believe that they have established their own identity now. Many females love cute characters, including Toad and the babies.
The only babies that matter to me are Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. Toad and Toadette also need to stay.

Wait, I thought Yoshis were their own species, and could be male or female? The Yoshi in sports games and stuff I remember being male, but otherwise it could go either way.

Also, I don't really understand what the OP is trying to say. Are you saying that there is a lack of female characters in the Mushroom Kingdom, or that the games are being marketed towards female gamers and that's a problem?

I wouldn't say that there's a lack of female characters, but I'm biased somewhat because I'm male. Other than the damsel in distress scenario that plagues the games, the Mushroom Kingdom has quite a few strong female representatives. You got Rosalina, Bowletta, Queen Bean, Dixie Kong, and both of the Shroob Princesses to name a few. Plus, the princesses that do get kidnapped rule over a whole kingdom, so they can be considered strong as well.

I wouldn't say that the games are being marketed towards female gamers either. I think they are marketed towards the younger demographic, and stereotypically that leads to us thinking female because of how it's presented.

PokemonMaster said:
Scrub Jay said:
You can't just shoo off the baby characters. I believe that they have established their own identity now. Many females love cute characters, including Toad and the babies.
The only babies that matter to me are Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. Toad and Toadette also need to stay.

I'm just saying in general. You don't have to like the baby girls.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: There needs to be more gender diversity (I hope I said that right) in the Mario Universe. No more new guy characters for a while, because the girls, imo, are more interesting than the guys (Don't get me wrong, I love most of the guy characters, but I prefer some of the females better). Also, Dixie Kong needs to be in more spin-offs so she can officially be a part of the Mario Universe and people can recognize her more and not just some cameo player who appears in only a couple games. (Diddy Kong appeared in like 6 mario spin-off games for crying out loud).

Six games is quite a few, actually.

I don't find female characters interesting, IMO, when most of them are princesses.

Leonyx said:
I wouldn't say that there's a lack of female characters, but I'm biased somewhat because I'm male. Other than the damsel in distress scenario that plagues the games, the Mushroom Kingdom has quite a few strong female representatives. You got Rosalina, Bowletta, Queen Bean, Dixie Kong, and both of the Shroob Princesses to name a few. Plus, the princesses that do get kidnapped rule over a whole kingdom, so they can be considered strong as well.
if take my signature pic as example, there are lots of female characters more than what you merely told. It's just a problem of recycle and emphasis in relationships of characters. Not to mention Peach is the only recurring heroine in main games, basically we shoudn't highlight the princesses by making no other main female characters.

Starr said:
Dixie Kong needs to be in more spin-offs so she can officially be a part of the Mario Universe and people can recognize her more and not just some cameo player who appears in only a couple games. (Diddy Kong appeared in like 6 mario spin-off games for crying out loud).
one thing is that Diddy is publically known as DK's best partner. So if another Mario spinoff let two character of DK series engage, they must be DK and Diddy, but the problem is that this would make unbalance of gender more serious while the original recurring Mario heroines are not enough. Just hope that they can consider Dixie sisters and Candy the next time.
Scrub Jay said:
I don't find female characters interesting, IMO, when most of them are princesses.
counting bosses, ninja, athletes, university or high school student and coming different races (human, toad, dinasour, goomba etc), the diversity is good enough.
also other things such as characters relationships don't consider whether they could be interesting. If Peach wasn't a funny or detailing character, Nintendo must have MAKE her funny and detailing with additional plot.

Dorayaki said:
counting bosses, ninja, athletes, university or high school student and coming different races (human, toad, dinasour, goomba etc), the diversity is good enough.
also other things such as characters relationships don't consider whether they could be interesting. If Peach wasn't a funny or detailing character, Nintendo must have MAKE her funny and detailing with additional plot.

Only princesses appear regularly.

Oooooo gurl, I agree! We need more girl power, and this is coming from a guy lol Candy Kong being more active in the DK (heck maybe even Mario) series would be great. I've always thought she had great potential, but Nintendo just makes her a "side" character. It's really weird. Also, a lot of girls I've known and talk to normally like the small "cute" characters like Toad, Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr., etc. but yeah, I think more females in the Mario series would be a great thing.

Scrub Jay said:
Pink, Cyan, Yellow, Purple, and White Yoshis are female in my POV.
I have a different opinion on that subject. :P Just because a Yoshi has a light color doesn't mean it's female, there WAS a pink Yoshi on Mario Party that was a female, so I know for a fact that female Yoshis exist, but I just don't think that EVERY Yoshi that's a certain color is a female just cuz it's lighter, that's just my opinion on that case.

Peachy said:
Scrub Jay said:
I have a different opinion on that subject. :P Just because a Yoshi has a light color doesn't mean it's female, there WAS a pink Yoshi on Mario Party that was a female, so I know for a fact that female Yoshis exist, but I just don't think that EVERY Yoshi that's a certain color is a female just cuz it's lighter, that's just my opinion on that case.

I think it's the same colored Yoshi we keep seeing, not the species in general. But I implied the species in general. I should have been more specific.

Yes, we do need way more female characters, even though my most favorite character is Mario.

Peachy said:
[/quote]
uh.... didn't I said the consense that dinasours are transexual?
generally whatever, Yoshi's recurrence is much more than many other female characters yet
and only the green Yoshi is the man "character"

Dorayaki said:
uh.... didn't I said the consense that dinasours are transexual?
generally whatever, Yoshi's recurrence is much more than many other female characters yet
and only the green Yoshi is the man "character"
Yoshis aren't transexual... Where'd you get that? :P

Some reptiles lay eggs by themselves that hatch.

I think that the Mario series has a fine amount for me. They have Peach, Daisy, Toadette , Birdo and alot of female partners in the Paper Mario series.

Toadette and Daisy are minor characters, with the latter not appearing outside a spinoff since 1991. Why do they get preference over DK, Wario, etc? Plus, in TTYD a majority of partners are female, and the ratio is about 50/50 in PM.

As for Yoshi, it seems that both male and female Yoshis are able to lay eggs, but only female Yoshis can lay eggs that hatch into new Yoshis.

Snowstalker said:
Toadette and Daisy are minor characters, with the latter not appearing outside a spinoff since 1991. Why do they get preference over DK, Wario, etc?

1989, actually. :'(

Snowstalker said:
Toadette and Daisy are minor characters, with the latter not appearing outside a spinoff since 1991. Why do they get preference over DK, Wario, etc?

Probably to appeal to girl gamers and serve as love interests to Toad and Luigi.

Do we even know what Toad and Toadette are to each other?

Also, I was responding to the OP. In the games, usually Wario comes before Birdo and Toadette.

I guess the relationship between Toad and Toadette is up to the fans and their imaginations.

I'm honestly surprised Birdo is still coming back when she isn't even a she. Nintendo should just make a new girlfriend for Yoshi already, like a pink Yoshi, or a new dinosaur species.

Aqua Soul said:
I guess the relationship between Toad and Toadette is up to the fans and their imaginations.

I'm honestly surprised Birdo is still coming back when she isn't even a she. Nintendo should just make a new girlfriend for Yoshi already, like a pink Yoshi, or a new dinosaur species.
Birdo should have been confined to the graveyard of bad SMB2 enemies along with Wart and Mouser. SMB2 was just a bad idea anyway you look at it. The original, SMB3, and Super Mario World were infinitely better.

Mouser actually works as a boss. In my idea for a Mario cartoon series, he would be a crime boss in the Moufia (punny) and be setting bomb threats in Mushroom City (from MK:DD and MKW)

Snowstalker said:

Also, I was responding to the OP. In the games, usually Wario comes before Birdo and Toadette.

I may be wrong, but I saw somewhere that Toad and Toadette and brother and sister :toad:

NintendoQueen814 said:
Snowstalker said:

I may be wrong, but I saw somewhere that Toad and Toadette and brother and sister :toad:
I thick Toadbert and Toadette are brother and sister.

Back