The Let's Play Thread

Hey guys. I didn't think this was deserving of it's own topic so i'll post it here. Me and my friend have made a youtube channel known as the Chocolate Squirrels, and we record ourselves playing video games, the quality for the videos isn't the greatest, the videos are too bright and the sides are simply black, but at least you can watch the crappyness in glorious 720p hd. However, we record less for the actual game, and more for the comedy, and our jokes, so if i hope the bad quality doesn't instantly turn you away, as our most recently recorded videos should fix the black sides problem, and we are working on the lighting.

Here is a link to our first video, Naruto Clash of Ninja 2. (Warning, our intro is a bit loud, you may want to lower your volume if you use headphones, so our party horn sound effect doesn't hurt your ears.)

You don't have to watch it at all, but i just wanted to share. If you do watch it, thanks. =D If you find us funny, better quality videos will be coming in the close future, hopefully, if you didn't find us funny, then i don't recommend watching any else of ours, as like i said, we are more for the comedy than the actual game itself.

Currently we only have the Naruto video and a Spectrobes: Origins video, but i will most likely be uploading another Spectrobes video tonight or tomorrow.

(In case your wondering, i'm Dante, and you can probably figure out which voice is me easily if you read the description.)

(This doesn't count as advertising right? If it does, i'll delete this post.)

I thought it was alright. An actual recording device will probably get more people watching but I'll subscribe for now.

Having a second person alongside you definitely helps, since banter between two people is more interesting than someone speaking to them self.

LPs I've watched lately is Chuggaa's Pokemon Colosseum, Lucah's Blind PMTTYD, JoshJepson's Quantum Conundrum, and more Mario Party TV stuff.

I also saw Lucahjin's and Chuggaaconroy's 3 hour Project Jirachi thing where they played Chibi-Robo, Sonic Herioes, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Cubivore.

Now that I have Raw Meat, I can mate!

I think he mentioned it once. And, you know, he can record DS footage now.

sinnoh would be nice but any other rpg would be too, as said m&l games would be cool, even PIT, even though i didnt like the game i will admit it did have some nice humor to it.

mine :D

Due to my being a Mario-freak, I mostly only watch Mario LP's. I am currently watching Chuggaaconroy's TTYD one. It's really good so far, Chugga is really funny lol

Does it count as a LP if it lacks commentary? if so I have one of Super Paper Mario that I'm not very far through (come to think of it, I really need to upload), but if anyone's interested here's the first one (lol no gameplay, just the prologue, whatever):

Me and my friend are doing our own version of LP's. We're not going to upload it to the internet or anything like that but we might record one of them.

I'm not sure if you guys know this, but Marriland (yes, that Marriland) has done (done one, training for Red in the other one) two Nuzlocke challenges. Let's just say every death is a tragic occasion.

I watch MadameWario's Sims 2 Let's Play. I am also going to let's plays too. But instead of using my voice, it's going to be a robotic voice. It's called the Robotic Gamer. It's not going to be on YouTube though.

jeez, i watch a lot of lets-players. i watch attackingtucans, joshjepson, sgblikestoplay, brainscratchcomms, chuggaaconroy, battlexon, gamegrumps(that isn't really lets playing, but it kind of counts.), chickenfajita12,munchingorange(sometimes), purplerodri,superskarmory,nintendocaprisun and some other people i am forgetting at the moment.

I already watched Link's Awakening when JoshJepson did it, and I'm watching Mario 64 Versus.

Josh & Tyler beat Chuggaa to his own LP's (SM64DS isn't a big difference from SM64. I'd rather funny commentary than a newer game)

Funny Commentary isn't what LP's are about though, it's about showing everybody a game you like.

We have different views as to what we enjoy in a LP.

I won't watch an LP of a game I like, if the commentary bores me.
I will watch an LP of a game I hate, if the commentary entertains me.

I just don't see the point of watching a video that makes me hate the people in it. I tried watching Chuggaaconroy these past 2 years, but I just hate his commentary now. IMO, it's kind of childish, the jokes are horrible and have no comedic timing at all. I see why people would enjoy his commentary but I do not. The same things applies to SlyFoxHound. He acts like a 10 year old and giggles and laughs all the time. He talks to his viewers to explain whats going on when he should be actually playing the game and not standing around. When something goes wrong he gets angry at the game when it's completely his fault because he didn't see the obvious tutorial that was there for 10-20 seconds and then continues to do nothing useful while complaining the game didn't tell him how to get passed the obstacle he's near.

I just can't watch shitty (opinion) commentary without getting a headache or walking away to do something better. I watch LP's for entertainment.

NSY said:
Funny Commentary isn't what LP's are about though, it's about showing everybody a game you like.

Actually, i completely disagree, the game doesn't matter to me, the person talking matters, I watch LPs 99% for funny commentary.

This would also be why i don't like Chugga at all, i don't care for his commentary at all. He isn't funny IMO.

It is all a matter of personal preference and opinion though.

I haven't watched a Let's Play in quite some time. I should probably go back to doing that.

I've been watching the RunawayGuys do NSMBU and Chugga do SM64DS. I still need to watch LuckysevenDXs Kid Icarus Uprising Lp.

I like Josh Jepson because he's funny and he plays games I want to watch. He also records in high definition, which is a plus.

Mario4Ever said:
I haven't watched a Let's Play in quite some time. I should probably go back to doing that.

I keep wanting to finish watching Chuggaa's LP of Super Paper Mario, because I started watching practically a year ago and never finished it, but I never get around to it.

I've watched many LPers; people like Chuggaaconroy, TheRunAwayGuys, SlimKirby, MadameWario, ShadowMarioXLI, KmanRules1331 and CrystalStarStudio.

I've also started doing an LP of Mario Party 6 on my channel. If you enjoy my videos though, like/comment/subscribe! My commentary is kinda bland but at times I get upset lol
Also lately my commentary hasn't synced so I've had to resort to doing post-commentary... Well hopefully next video it will be synced up.

I use Powerdirector to record (with my Easycap), though I got a new version since the other one was a trial. I use Pinnacle Studio 15 to edit. I used to use Ulead but my god it is awful for recording.
I record my commentary separately from the recording program; I have to use Audacity at the same time I record which is why sometimes it won't sync up right. I need to start the video, then the commentary, then end the commentary and end my video recording.

I also have other Brawl videos and some random things. :p
I haven't updated lately since I've been rather busy and I have an exam on Friday and next week on Monday... Though I guess I can record tomorrow. =P
I try to update weekly, though as I said before, I have exams. But once those are done I will be back to recording more frequently!

Back