Author Topic: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 20: A game that truly scared you  (Read 6164 times)

Pheromosa

• Extradimensional bug princess
  • Star Spirit
  • A51 Trooper
    • View Profile
If I was doing this question before mid-January this year, I would have picked Peach. But ever since buying her home game after seeing her official artwork in Super Smash Bros Ultimate as a spirit, listened to the 2 music tracks from that game in Ultimate and looking up the game trailer, I've really, really enjoyed Esna the water spirit from Ever Oasis as a character, and she's now my favorite female video game character overall to date.

To put it short, Esna is a major NPC in Ever Oasis who helps you grow a new oasis shared between your player character and herself after an oasis belonging to your older brother got destroyed by the main villain of the game, named Chaos. As you build up your oasis, you gain more and more residents as you progress through the game, and Esna will provide her help along the way.

After I finished the game, I looked up to see if there was anything in particular the developers said when creating Esna and various other characters, and I did find these quotes from the director of the game in this article, which is 1 of 3 that he uploaded on that website.

I’ve always enjoyed exploring the relationship between spirits and the world – when I write stories, spirits are an essential element of them. Vistrahda, the setting of Ever Oasis, is a desert world, so you might wonder why we chose to make Esna a water spirit.

It’s precisely because Vistrahda is a desert world, in which water is a precious resource, that we made that choice. Also, compared to a small, faint light fairy, a water spirit has a more visible presence (even if only the hero can see her…)

Esna supports the hero and shares their outlook, their joys and their troubles – she’s like a second protagonist. She’s a partner who helps build up the oasis, celebrates the hero’s accomplishments as if they were her own, and provides praise and encouragement.

We were very committed to making Esna a sympathetic character. As players progress through the story, we want them to wonder, “What’s she thinking? What will she say next?” With this in mind, we revised Esna’s lines right up until the very end of development. I hope she’ll be a good partner not just for the hero, but for the player too!

Koichi Ishii, producer and director of Ever Oasis.

To further emphasize Koichi's words on Esna being a sympathetic character, I'm gonna share these 3 screenshots of the game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Esna is everything I could ever want from a female character. She's heroic, beautiful, has a wonderful personality as well as a cute voice, and being a water spirit, exceptional magical powers. Just as much as you try to build up your oasis alongside her, so does your friendship between you and her throughout the game, and you get to clearly see her character development too as you play.

I'll conclude this by giving a shout-out to Super Smash Bros Ultimate for including Ever Oasis in its vast lineup of spirits meant to indicate "characters that left a mark in video game history", as the menu puts it when you highlight the full spirit list. I'm very hopeful that a sequel for this game on the Switch gets made (and if it does happen, I hope Esna gets to be playable!), seeing how the game got its own supply of LINE stickers, various comics on Play Nintendo's website and going back to Ultimate, 2 spirits and 2 music tracks. Given that this happened to an original Nintendo IP that was first released in the summer of 2017, that's something I find very notable, and I don't think very many recent games get that same kind of recognition.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:19:54 AM by Esna »

Ray Trace

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – сырная бл🧀🧀🧀 Тарелка!
    • View Profile
It's pretty simple: Toadette. I like playing as her. Though female video game characters, I'm not really into all that much; it's much easier for me to name male video game characters that are my favorites than the girls.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Shygul

• Nikaido Saki
  • Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
    • my new website plz check it out and share on facebook
this is an incredibly hard choice. there's a *bleep*ton of good ones out there, Fire Emblem alone has a plethora of them. and even beyond that there's a *bleep*ton of really good ones left: Virdi, Zelda, D. Va, Lara Croft, Samus Aran, Rosalina, Serena (Skyrim one not fe one), Yuri, Maki Harukawa, Midna, Amateratsu, Maya Fey and others i'm probs forgetting. quite honestly i don't have an ultimate preference for favorite overall.

so i guess i'll just go with whoever happens to be my phone wallpaper atm and that would be Peri from Fire Emblem: Fates. reasoning is that i just find her demeanor of not understanding the basic morality of "you know, killing people on a whim is bad" to be absolutely hilarious. everyone's reactions to it and attempts to teach her otherwise in her support conversations are totally priceless. it's also a bit...i dont want to say endearing but like, it's a really neat punchline when she applies her lack of uh, self control on the battlefield. plus i'm just a bit of a sucker for the whole yandere thing in general, idk how'd explain the appeal of yanderes (for me personally) better than i did to Pittoo on discord one time so i'll just post the logs here.

Quote from: me
the reason i like yandere in general (and by extension Yuri) honestly also has its roots in depression etc
basically one of the symptoms of one of my problems is extreme paranoia/fear
i get freaked the *bleep* out really easily if i dont take the right meds/etc and
one of the ways i found to cope with fear is too just
embrace *bleep* that supposed to be scary
yandere's are a really good outlet for that since they're basically just "scary thing that wants to hurt everything EXCEPT YOU"
so my embracement of said trope/horror *bleep* in general has actually helped alot with my paranoia/depression and helps me feel better on a day to day basis

Alexander Hamilton

• Secretary of Treasury Packy
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 3: A game that's so bad but so good
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 08:58:35 PM »
Day 3 is a go! Today's challenge: A game that's so bad but so good! Explanations and thoughts aplenty.

Moldomré: The Crossover Episode

• I definitely know how to draw Koops!...it's just that I've never gotten around to it...right?
  • King Bowser
  • Moldomré
  • The local Pink Yoshi Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Planet Minecraft Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 09:06:36 PM »
Hotel Mario, for the memes.
Hate to say it, but MK64. I remember having tons of fun with that as a kid, but now I realize that the CPU system and the controls have not aged well. At all.
Still like that version of Rainbow Road the most though.

Twitter | Ask Thread | Luigi64DD, LeftyGreenMario, and BabyLuigiOnFire | Moldomré and Toadgamer in the avatar

Toadette

• fan of Mario, Kirby, Sonic, Pokemon, Digimon, Yo-kai Watch, and Crash Bandicoot
  • Dry Bowser
  • Toadettefan14
  • Toadette's the winner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 09:27:03 PM »
I can’t really think of one I’ve played recently, but I can think of one I’ve played when I was young.

And that game is Pokémon Battle Revolution!

I used to play it a lot as a kid, I thought it was cool to see your carefully trained Pokémon battle it out on the big screen, and the game was really fun. But now that I’m older, I’ve realized how bad it is. I now think the battles are repetitive and the last time I played, it wasn’t as fun as it used to be. I’m glad I don’t like the side games and spin-offs of Pokémon as much as I used to nowadays!

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 09:30:00 PM »
Tonic Trouble

I had of fun with this when I was a kid, but looking back on it now, it kinda sucks. But despite the quirky camera and bad controls, it still managed to be somewhat enjoyable.

winstein

• Power Star
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 10:07:46 PM »
I think I will have to go with Sonic R.

This game is basically a Sonic game, and unlike many other Sonic racing games, the characters race on foot with some driving vehicles, namely Amy and Eggman. So why did I put this game in the "bad" category? It's because the game is quite unbalanced. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are characters that can hold their own against others, but Amy and Eggman have trouble catching up because of their slowness. That's not all: the other unlockable characters are of a better performance compared to the initial five that choosing the initial five against the others is putting yourself at a handicap. Seriously: Super Sonic is the best character that only Metal Sonic and Metal Knuckles have the best chance in competing.

One thing that I was wowed by this game was that each race course is very elaborate like a 3D platformer level since it has many branching paths (except the last one) and the scenery is somewhat detailed for its time. However, there were also only 5 courses, which made me impressed by Super Mario Kart for having 20 tracks even though several of them share a theme with others. The game at least put the elaborate courses to good use by having a "find 5 balloons" mode, so that's pretty good.

So why is this game still great in some form? Easy: the music. Every piece of this game's songs are top notch, and this is pretty much the game's saving grace. The developer was concerned that not everybody would love it, but the general consensus now is that this is the best thing about Sonic R. Super Sonic Racing is the most noteworthy track that it's even made it to Smash Bros. and even Sonic Generations! Though with that said, I like this one too:

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

YoshiFlutterJump

• The Flying Yoshi
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 10:14:36 PM »
Sonic X for Leapster.  It defined my childhood before I was introduced to real games on the Wii, and as such I have quite a bit of nostalgia for it, but outside of nostalgia I really have no reason to play it anymore, being an edutainment game intended for 5-year-olds and all.

Yukiho Hagiwara

• Ace Idol
  • Star Spirit
  • Epic Nitwit
    • View Profile
    • Backloggery
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 11:21:56 PM »
I think I will have to go with Sonic R.

oh man this is my answer as well, and for basically the same reasoning as you have
the only other thing i have to add onto that is that, despite the playable character roster being terribly unbalanced, i love the idea of having different characters with different abilities and being able to go a different path depending on who you use, like being able to use knuckles and glide waaaaay off the normal path of the track and basically take a huge shortcut that characters like sonic can't use. it makes me wish that character-based non-car racing games were more of a thing

Ray Trace

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – сырная бл🧀🧀🧀 Тарелка!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 11:45:13 PM »
My pick for this is Ride to Hell: Retribution. It's essentially a game that's so atrocious that it's hilarious.

I've never played the game itself, thankfully, and I just got most of my information of it from reviews, but it's so hilariously inept at everything it tries to do that you just can't help but laugh at it. Even when it has atrocious sex scenes with females that you rescue as rewards from killing a bad guy. The combat is derp, shooting is abysmal, and the driving sections are Big Rigs -esque. Voice acting is one of the worst ever in video games. There's a part of the game where how the protagonist deals with an electric fence obstructing his path by stealing a truck, driving it quite a bit of distance, and then blowing up an electrical power plant. The weirdest part of this game is is that it's functional garbage. Crashes and unplayable states don't occur all that much and it's quite a long game too, yet somehow the game is still playable.

It's essentially a perfect type of game to just laugh at it all the way through.

ProJared has summed it up quite nicely in his review of the game, though Angry Joe does a much more through takedown of it. Though I'll just let this We Broke video take care of it for its straightforward badness.

RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Sakura Matou

• The Imaginary Element
  • Celestial Guide
  • Crackin355
  • "Welcome home, Senpai." △
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 01:14:16 AM »
1. Etrian Odyssey Untold. I was on holidays without internet at the time which probably helped give it a lasting impression, I had to figure out everything on my own. I feel like I never give myself the chance to do that these days or at least it's the only game that I've played completely blind that wasn't easy or held my hand so it actually had an impact.
2. Estelle Bright in Trails in the Sky. *bleep* dude, if anybody plays this series and doesn't love her by the end then they're dead inside. I still don't really understand how they handled having a female protagonist so well, it's just a slow progression over two games from a one dimensional dumbass tomboy into a fully emotionally developed character influenced by and influencing the rest of the cast. and it worked so well. Too bad Falcom has found out male mc harem *bleep* sells better.
3. Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. I feel like this whole game is low quality, gimmick races with some *bleep*ty side missions to pad out the game and re-used assets to double the track count. I played the *bleep* out of it though and really enjoyed it. I even played it again this year and still enjoyed it, though it was just to scratch a random itch to see what the game was like now that I'm older.

Toadgamer

• Probably the biggest Toad fan out there
  • Dry Bowser
  • Well, bup, I guess...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 01:24:38 AM »
The best (or worst) video game I can think of in this section has to be Superman 64. I never played the game, and believe me, I do not want to. But from the footage I saw, it's pretty hilarious to see the game glitching and seeing how poorly made the game was: The city is completely empty, the controls are really clunky (never played it but from the footage I've seen, literally no-one is good at the game) and it can't be taken seriously.

I could have gone with ET, which can hardly be called a game, but it looks really boring and I only look at 5 seconds of gameplay before getting bored and stop watching the video about that game.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:26:38 AM by Poochy »

Hooded Pitohui

• The Bird with Batrachotoxin
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Whomp
  • With Awards, prepare to present, play, and party.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 08:00:54 AM »
I thought about saying Mario Party Advance for this one, but then I realized that it's not exactly good because it's bad. Its an awful game to give the Mario Party title to and it's altogether middling, but it has its charming moments and was creative enough to come up with some new characters and find use for old ones at the time. Plus, the Gaddgets are at least occasionally entertaining and most of the minigames are good.

But, more to the question, I'd have to go with Sonic Adventure 2, which I've played on the Gamecube. It's not without issue or oddities, but it all comes together to have some level of, as TVTropes might put it, "narm charm." Its flaws tend to be of the more charmingly bad variety. Not to mention it has the Chao Garden, which can occasionally draw you back to the game after a break to work on it for a few hours or so.

Yoshi the SSM

• (Space Station Manager)
  • King Bowser
  • I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »
For 2, I'm undecided. It's either Starlow, Princess Peach, Princess Zelda, or Wendy (Koopaling). They all look like good females to chose as a favorite.

For 3,
3. Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. I feel like this whole game is low quality, gimmick races with some *bleep*ty side missions to pad out the game and re-used assets to double the track count. I played the *bleep* out of it though and really enjoyed it. I even played it again this year and still enjoyed it, though it was just to scratch a random itch to see what the game was like now that I'm older.
Hmm... Yeah. That is a bad game that is good. It took me a bit to get the control down, but once I did I liked the gameplay. Although, I believe I still have some trouble. But, I like those tracks and they are very different from the regulars.
I don't have time to give you a ride, I am managing a space station. And ask me something here:www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=38633.msg1934343#msg1934343

Pheromosa

• Extradimensional bug princess
  • Star Spirit
  • A51 Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 11:44:06 AM »
I'll pick Mario Kart 64 for this. It's probably the only Mario game I've played so far that I inherently dislike with an open mind (wonky controls, item physics etc), but it still introduced some nice racetracks with great music, and it can still be fun to play with friends

NanoPhoenix

• Traveler of Teehee Valley
  • King Bowser
  • NanoRim
  • Touch fuzzy, get dizzy.
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 12:53:45 PM »
Day 1 - Game That Left A Lasting Impression: Super Mario Galaxy.

Day 2 - Favorite Female Video Game Character: Marie, Rosalina, Vivian and Blaze.

Day 3 - A  Game That Is So Bad That It's Good: Ben 10: Protector of Earth (DS) is a game that I have quite a bit nostalgia for, even though I can now see some of the chinks in it's armor upon a recent playthrough awhile back.

Shygul

• Nikaido Saki
  • Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
    • my new website plz check it out and share on facebook
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2019, 01:13:40 PM »
 a game that's so bad but so good...hmm there's definitely a few games i know kinda suck alot in retrospect but i still enjoyed the hell outta of them. the one that stick outs the most to me is Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring for ps2. (specifically the ps2 version because iirc there were some differences between the games and that's the only one i played). most post 2000 LOTR games are exclusively based upon the hit movies rather than the books because $$$. however this particular game is actually based entirely off the books and is a bit more accurate to them as such. however rather than just be a continual hack and slash fest or really badly made rpg it's actually switches off between a badly made hack and slash and a stealth/adventure type game.

the plot pretty much follows the book to the point of often using the same exact dialouge iirc. you start out as Frodo in the shire who's fixing to leave on his big quest to throw a piece of jewlery in the fires of mount doom in order to defeat the evil dark lord Sauron. for the first couple hours or so (depending on if you speedrun it i guess) you frolic around the green hills of the shire making some last minute preparations for Frodo's journey out into the big world. you can also partake in various small sidequests if so choose to gain some items that will make the rest of the game easier (albeit just a bunch of healing stuff). the music is actually pretty good in both this part and the whole game and really compliments the innocence of the shire. but after that you have to leave in the middle of the night. evading Nazguls and wolves alike (the latter of which i super appreciate because wolves coming into the shire was actually one of the signs that Sauron was on the move again and i love little tidbits of lore like that.) you escape into the old forest. i'm not gonna bother going into details but basically a *bleep*ton of *bleep* involving Barrow Whites, giant spiders, and giant killer trees, (as well as trees that move when you're not looking) takes place but Frod and co. eventually safely arrive at the village of Bree. the game then actually switches you over to Aragorn and you finally feel like a badass who can kill stuff instead of a hobbit who's always running and sneaking and literally fighting everything using a walking stick. which imo is actually good game design as it the experiences of using a new character actually make me want to keep playing as opposed to same tiring *bleep* i've already been dealing with forever. after killing orcs and wargs and trolls in the wilderness you eventually reach the city of rivendell. there you meet the fellowship etc. and continue on the journey. the next part of the game actually has you assume the role of gandalf which means you can actually get to use magic for the first time in the game which is rewarding experience. blasting enemies with lighting and fire never felt so good. for the rest of the game you then switch between using frodo/aragorn/gandalf culminating in a final battle on the banks of the Anduin river where you get to kick the ass of the nazgul who you had to run for your life from at the beginning of the game. unfortunately it ends there and as this game wasn't successful for reasons i'm about to go into, the sequel, which was to be known as The Treason of Isenguard (a scrapped beta name for the Two Towers book), was scrapped.

now as for why this game is bad well...the combat for starters. quite honestly it sucks for the most part until you get to play as Gandalf and even then that's for one section of the game. the rest of the time you are literally just pressing the square button repeatedly and mindlessy. you can block granted and use ranged attacks but blocking doesn't open up enemies for counter attacks and your ranged weapons do almost no damage which makes them both rather pointless. and even when you do kill something it really feels more like you've just smacked someone to death with a pool noodle rather than epicly thrust your blade through the corpse of a defeated foe. the game is also horribly linear, even moreso than classic zelda or hell most oldschool jrpgs. there's also about 5 (maybe not even that it's been ahwile) voice actors total in this game so you will be hearing the same voice coming from a variety different characters mouth which really kinda breaks immersion which imo is very important for a game like this. also when you get back to the aragorn segments after playing the Moria part it just gets really dull and repetitive. kill orcs. kill orcs. kill wargs. kill a troll. kill more orcs. kill another warg. etc. really gets boring after awhile. it's also a ps2 game so uh yeah the graphics aren't up to par which while i don't think that matters too much it would be really nice if some of the charaters didnt look so....bleh

however as for why i like it, the atmosphere and progression. as i said earlier the music does a very nice job of conveying the mood of where you're currently at. from peaceful violin and flute tunes in the shire to the drums nerve-gratingly beating whenever wolves are attacking to eerie melodies in the dark mines of moria. the way in which you switch characters is also really neat. you start out as a hobbit with a stick and have to run half the time away from enemies. but then you get to be a badass ranger with an actual sword and bow and get to hack up *bleep* that would've killed you easy if you tried to fight them earlier, and then once that didn't seem to grand anymore you got to be a mother*bleep*ing wizard who can shoot lightning and stuff. plus in addition to that the enemies actually seem gradually more powerful to match your new powers. at first you only saw wolves, then it's giant ass spiders, then it's ghouls, then it's wargs which are about 4 times the size of the wolves, straight up groups of orc, then a troll who's twice the size of a character who's three times the size of the character you started out as. and then a bunch of that stuff all at the same time

are there tons of better games out there and does this deserve the rap it received from critics? hell yeah. but i did unironically enjoy it? absolutely and i would definitely recommend this to someone seeking a simple fantasy adventure and/or anyone who's big into the lotr franchise like i am.

Princess Mario

• Mushroom Kingdom's Most 🦄Fabulous🦄 Wario Killer
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »
it's so hilariously inept at everything it tries to do that you just can't help but laugh at it
the menus use ridiculous keys, the beginning of the game places you in a turret segment, terrible cinematics with absent sound effects and music and weird cuts in videos, nonexistent cover, bullet sponge enemies, broken combat where only kicking works, women treated like actual objects whose only goal is sex and promptly disappear after you're done and you get the benefits, this game has it all

"All Enemies In The Area Are Dead", I think that's the only moment in a video game where the HUD actually lies to you.

But another of my vote would be that Star Trek game (also from We Broke)

Turboo

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2019, 06:04:28 PM »
the issue is I can't really name any truly *bleep* games I've enjoyed despite them being kusoge, and I (un)fortunately haven't played devil may cry 2 yet to decide if it hits that spot. like mario pinball land was what i was considering answering since i DID play that, but that's just flat out bad and unenjoyable

mario kart 64 isn't really inherently bad so much as it just aged badly, but I also don't have that much attachment to it. on the flip side, i think double dash also aged roughly because of the controls being a hydroplaning simulator, but i love the gimmick and the race courses so i'd go with that for my answer despite it not matching the question exactly