To what degree do you think our wiki impacts the people's decision to buy games?

Koopa con Carne

call me Hot Lips, 'cause i'm a one-shot wonder
MarioWiki
Koopa con Carne
I've always wondered if people would be more interested in getting a game if they read a good article about it on Super Mario Wiki. All these efforts to bring some articles to feature status--do they pay off practically?

What I have in mind when I edit the wiki is to benefit the reader in such a way that it draws them to the subject somehow. Of course, I'm aware that other things like reviews and gameplay videos factor into someone's decision, but a single most concentrated source of information might be very influential.

I can't really speak for myself because I've been very familiar with Mario for a long time, so I might not know how the wiki exactly impacted me to try games. I can say that it was rather the other way round for me: the games drew me to the wiki. On the contrary, I have actually been acknowledged on the existence of the Saturday Supercade thanks to the wiki, and I find it to be such a cool cartoon!

Anyone who had a similar experience? Oh, and yeah, going back to the original question... what do you think?

Depends on the person.

Some people feel safer by listening to what the majority thinks and took their desicion based on that.

Other people just like certain games regardless of how ''good'' or how ''bad'' they are said to be.

The Wiki being informative still influences the readers ultimately because it informs them about what to expect.

That's how i see it. Though i would also encourage for people to get the games if they really wanna try them to judge, like i did on Ultra Smash, i knew it was barebones and hated it without playing it and while i still feel its barebones, i can say that after playing , it was taking the Mario Tennis series in a good place GAMEPLAY WISE , because its very fun on its core and smooth ultimately.

I was already a big Mario fan when I joined the wiki, but reading about Super Paper Mario made me want to get it because it sounded cool with Luigi becoming evil and stuff like that, although my wiki friends praising it as one of the best games ever played a big part in it as well. It's kinda funny how I saw mainly praise for it before buying it and didn't see the criticism until after. :P

back when I was younger alot of the mario games (that I eventually bought) I discovered via reading this wiki (and wikipedia)

When I worked on Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island article, I had an urge to just go and play the game again. I don't think it's the same type of urge random readers would get though.

However, I do think when people search the games up on MarioWiki for information, what they read on there could impact their decisions on whether or not to buy the game since some game articles tell you all what you need to know about the game (and it irks me if sections are incomplete). How I do it, I usually read wikis after I played the game for further information on whatever I missed.

For Mario games in general, I think the point is moot for me: I'll buy Mario games almost certainly regardless of the wiki and I'm sure there are Mario fans out there who are like that well. When it comes to making informed purchases though, the wiki is a terrific resource on what to expect, if you don't feel like sitting through YouTube videos of course.

I wouldn't say it does for me, however, the community would influence my opinion. If there are plenty of people saying that a certain game is bad, then I'll probably steer clear of it.

If the community encourages me to play a game, I would gladly get it (well, try to get it). The wiki only informs you of what’s in the game so that you'd start making a decision about it. Although it affects more older games, as the new ones have trailers that may very well showcase the game's features.

No, as I decide based on critic reviews.

When I was younger I used to use the Wiki as sort of a checklist on what to keep my eyes peeled for whenever shopping for games every month, if I spotted a Mario game that wasn't already a part of my collection I would grab it as soon as I could. Basically I made it my goal to amass a collection of every Mario game (Spin-offs and sub-franchises included)

Okay. So, the wiki was the first time i heard something abot Mario. As you can read in my wiki userpage, after being bored and playing Mario fangames, i decided i want an oficcial Mario game for my Wii. The wiki was the place i did a research on to decide what game i want, and i wanted to buy Mario Sports Mix after seeing the wiki article. However, i didn't got it on the end. However, i did got MP8 after seeing its wiki article.

But all of this is because i'm new to Mario, and the wiki was the first place that i have readed and learned about Mario. So don't take it very seriously.

YoshiEgg1990 said:
Okay. So, the wiki was the first time i heard something abot Mario. As you can read in my wiki userpage, after being bored and playing Mario fangames, i decided i want an oficcial Mario game for my Wii. The wiki was the place i did a research on to decide what game i want, and i wanted to buy Mario Sports Mix after seeing the wiki article. However, i didn't got it on the end. However, i did got MP8 after seeing its wiki article.

But all of this is because i'm new to Mario, and the wiki was the first place that i have readed and learned about Mario. So don't take it very seriously.
Which Nintendo consoles do you have? I've got some recommendations for you...

The wiki does not impact my decision to buy games. However, it does show me more of a game I don't know much about. Like Super Mario Land...and Hotel Mario (not that I'd ever buy it)...

I can only speak for myself, but I was into Mario long before I came on the Internet. Although, IIRC the reason I bought Super Paper Mario is because I liked Mr. L's design which I had first seen in some SM64 hack video, and when I found his article on MarioWiki I saw where he was from so I had to get that game. One of the best decisions of my gaming life that was ;D

These days I usually base my purchase plans on gameplay footage and trailers I see online if it's not already a locked purchase (M&L, Paper Mario, 3D Mario, console/handheld 2D Mario, console/handheld Mario Kart and Smash Bros. are usually automatically day 1s or as close to that as I can do depending on the situation)

Then again I often see info before it's added to the wiki. Sometimes I'll add it myself, though most of the time I assume it's being added and I'd just screw something up lol

Back