Would you like a new entry in the Mario Strikers series?

Anser

King Bowser
I just finished playing Mario Strikers Charged after more than six years without touching it, and I have to say: WOW. I had forgotten what a great, fun game that is! I just wonder why Next Level Games never developed a new entry for the Wii U. An HD Mario Strikers game would be amazing.

Among the things that I love from that game is how much personality the characters have. They really put an effort in making each character unique and highlighted their personalities by giving them unique animations and themes, all of which are awesome. I even like Daisy and Waluigi in that game, when I usually hate those characters (Daisy's voice is still horrible, though). The music is also amazing, The Classroom's theme being my favorite, closely followed by the results screen theme. Another thing I like is its difficulty: it's not easy to beat the game 100%.

So, would you like a new Mario Strikers game? What features would you like to see in it? Here are my ideas:

-All the captains from Mario Strikers Charged return.
-New characters include Rosalina as a new captain; she's a Power-type character who levitates around the field, much like in Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. King Boo is also a new captain, keeping his look from Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (since that game was also developed by Next Level Games and to differentiate him from the Boo sidekick). Toad is promoted to a captain instead of a sidekick (he's been too relevant lately with the New Super Mario Bros series, Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker). Toadette is also a new captain.
-New sidekicks include Luma, Magikoopa, Goomba and Paratroopa.
-A new mode, called Captain's League, is implemented, which consists in making teams made of only captains, and no sidekicks.
-New items include the Lightning and the POW Block.

Share your thoughts!

Yes but after Next level games finished with the coming Metroid game.

Hell yeah. It should kick the ass of Pro Evolution Soccer and FIFA out the door.

I love Mario Strikers.

yeah sure.

Though considering Nintendo's direction with the recent Mario RPGs and sports-spinoff, I suspect a new Mario Strikers would more likely than not lack the ~edge~ and personality that made it stand out.

As much as I like Mario Strikers, I just get the feeling that Next Level is gonna come up with a bunch of great ideas and Nintendo will reject them for being too awesome.

Not particularly no.

Mario Strikers is one of my favorite Mario sports games so I will be most certainly up for it. I also like how unMario the Mario Strikers games feel, it's a pretty unique way to portray Mario characters.

I've thought up of a possibility of Baby Mario and Baby Luigi being captains because why not.

I agree with all your points, Anser. Heck, that's one of the reasons I'm going with a Strikers theme now. Even my favorite tunes are close to yours. The Classroom and the Sudden Death music are my absolute favorites. My only real complaint with this game is that the frame-rate rarely gets to perfect 60 FPS unless you're playing in the Classroom. Also, the roster might feel a tad small for today's standards, and I'd like to put characters like Mario and Luigi in the same team. But my favorite thing of this game is how expressive each character is, even those that are normally flat. Their themes that go along with them compliments this.

I also like the weirdly sci-fi vibe it has to it, it helps the Strikers games stand out a lot in my opinion.

Overall, yeah, I'd want a proper follow-up that expands on it just as how it expanded on Strikers, but I have my doubts if Nintendo is going to let Next Level Games pull it off successfully or make it turn out like that slop we call "Ultra Smash".

Glowsquid said:
yeah sure.

Though considering Nintendo's direction with the recent Mario RPGs and sports-spinoff, I suspect a new Mario Strikers would more likely than not lack the ~edge~ and personality that made it stand out.
Magikrazy said:
As much as I like Mario Strikers, I just get the feeling that Next Level is gonna come up with a bunch of great ideas and Nintendo will reject them for being too awesome.
Striker Mario said:
Overall, yeah, I'd want a proper follow-up that expands on it just as how it expanded on Strikers, but I have my doubts if Nintendo is going to let Next Level Games pull it off successfully or make it turn out like that slop we call "Ultra Smash".
Someone should write a book on how a single game could definitely kill any expectation on the Mario Sports genre...

It's funny because I pick on Paper Mario fans for abandoning the series after Sticker Star, but I go ahead and do the same thing because of a game that wasn't even released.

I still have high expectations for the next Mario Strikers game, but recent Mario games are just disappointment after disappointment. The year 2015 was just really bad for Mario, I'd say that Super Mario Maker sucks too.

Striker Mario said:
I still have high expectations for the next Mario Strikers game, but recent Mario games are just disappointment after disappointment. The year 2015 was just really bad for Mario, I'd say that Super Mario Maker sucks too.
The only "problem" I see now is that 2016 too will be a transitional year, so unless they manage to get the NX out with a new 3D Super Mario or New Super Mario Bros. game before the end of the year, we might not see much more beyond Paper Mario: Color Splash and the Wii U version of Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. And I hope they don't use the sports games again as filler, this strategy just doesn't seem to work.

For me I don't see how this year of some mediocre releases would affect development of other games. All of this requires copious amounts of context and information behind the development. This problem is a correlation/causation fallacy.

For example, Ultra Smash was crap because Nintendo rushed Camelot the game for holiday sales.

Mario & Sonic, were there any expectations for that franchise to begin with?

Paper Mario Color Splash, Paper Mario turned rotten before this generation of Mario did.

Aaaaaannd the Wii U has a pretty damn poor install base in general.

Next Level Games is making Federation Force, but aside from it being a botched Metroid IP, let's see how that game stands on its own.

Striker Mario said:
I agree with all your points, Anser. Heck, that's one of the reasons I'm going with a Strikers theme now. Even my favorite tunes are close to yours. The Classroom and the Sudden Death music are my absolute favorites. My only real complaint with this game is that the frame-rate rarely gets to perfect 60 FPS unless you're playing in the Classroom. Also, the roster might feel a tad small for today's standards, and I'd like to put characters like Mario and Luigi in the same team. But my favorite thing of this game is how expressive each character is, even those that are normally flat. Their themes that go along with them compliments this.

I also like the weirdly sci-fi vibe it has to it, it helps the Strikers games stand out a lot in my opinion.

:) Let's share the glory that is that song with our fellow Marioboarders, shall we?

And yes, the roster is pretty small for today's standards, but back in the day, I think it was perfect. It was balanced, had good characters, and a nice amount of them. That's why I propose Rosalina, King Boo, Toad and Toadette as new captains.

While we're at it, how would you feel if Nabbit was also a new captain, and Birdo promoted to a captain like Toad? I'm sorry Baby Luigi, but I just can't imagine Baby Mario and Baby Luigi playing such a violent game for some reason. I know it's not illogical, but it'd be just... weird. At least to me.

Another thing I loved about Strikers Charged was the vast amount of stages it offered. Granted, many of them were recycled from the previous game, but in the end it's still a lot of content. And not only that, but they offered unlockable ones that represented a great challenge to get (I never got the Galactic Stadium myself, too hard for me :( ) I'd like them to repeat that.

Strikers is one of my favourite sports games so hell yeah I'd like a new one

oh god yes please, this was one of the best games on the wii
shame that i lost the disc

i'm going to go buy it on amazon again right now honestly

Anser said:
:) Let's share the glory that is that song with our fellow Marioboarders, shall we?

*video*

And yes, the roster is pretty small for today's standards, but back in the day, I think it was perfect. It was balanced, had good characters, and a nice amount of them. That's why I propose Rosalina, King Boo, Toad and Toadette as new captains.

While we're at it, how would you feel if Nabbit was also a new captain, and Birdo promoted to a captain like Toad? I'm sorry Baby Luigi, but I just can't imagine Baby Mario and Baby Luigi playing such a violent game for some reason. I know it's not illogical, but it'd be just... weird. At least to me.

Another thing I loved about Strikers Charged was the vast amount of stages it offered. Granted, many of them were recycled from the previous game, but in the end it's still a lot of content. And not only that, but they offered unlockable ones that represented a great challenge to get (I never got the Galactic Stadium myself, too hard for me :( ) I'd like them to repeat that.

Ah yes.

I thought the roster was a major step up from Super Mario Strikers at least. Actually, nearly everything is a major step up (the only thing that isn't is the electrocution noises and the small panting noises each character makes when dribbling the ball, the noises the character makes when they charge and shoot the ball, and the noises the characters make when they are tackling; the noises make them seem livelier). But anyway, you have much better character variety in every way (Super Mario Strikers had just Super Strike meters), much better stage variety, background music, a bit more modes, and perhaps actual difficulty (not sure how easy Super Mario Strikers was though).

I think Nabbit and Birdo would work fine as team captains. As for new sidekicks, why not Goombas, Piantas, and maybe even Wigglers? I'd also like Metal Mario as a team captain, even though Mario does turn metal in his Mega Strike (but he doesn't resemble Metal Mario). I'd feel the rough and tumble nature of the game is perfect for him, and maybe we can slip in Pink Gold Peach as well. Metal Mario can be a Power character, Pink Gold Peach can be Offensive. Something. I would also like to see the possibility of team captains that are sidekicks (like in the Baseball games) so we can have Mario and Luigi in the same team. These captains lack the Mega Strike, but they have sidekick traits instead.

I did get all the stadiums. I actually wiped the floor with the Strikers Cup on the second attempt with my team of Mario, Toad, Dry Bones, and Boo. :P

Striker Mario said:
Ah yes.

I thought the roster was a major step up from Super Mario Strikers at least. Actually, nearly everything is a major step up (the only thing that isn't is the electrocution noises and the small panting noises each character makes when dribbling the ball, the noises the character makes when they charge and shoot the ball, and the noises the characters make when they are tackling; the noises make them seem livelier). But anyway, you have much better character variety in every way (Super Mario Strikers had just Super Strike meters), much better stage variety, background music, a bit more modes, and perhaps actual difficulty (not sure how easy Super Mario Strikers was though).

I think Nabbit and Birdo would work fine as team captains. As for new sidekicks, why not Goombas, Piantas, and maybe even Wigglers? I'd also like Metal Mario as a team captain, even though Mario does turn metal in his Mega Strike (but he doesn't resemble Metal Mario). I'd feel the rough and tumble nature of the game is perfect for him, and maybe we can slip in Pink Gold Peach as well. Metal Mario can be a Power character, Pink Gold Peach can be Offensive. Something. I would also like to see the possibility of team captains that are sidekicks (like in the Baseball games) so we can have Mario and Luigi in the same team. These captains lack the Mega Strike, but they have sidekick traits instead.

I did get all the stadiums. I actually wiped the floor with the Strikers Cup on the second attempt with my team of Mario, Toad, Dry Bones, and Boo. :P

Yeah! I also proposed Goomba as a new sidekick, along with Luma, Magikoopa and Paratroopa, but I hadn't thought of Piantas. Maybe Nokis and Paragoombas too? I don't know. Wiggler would be cool too but... wouldn't he be too big?

I envy you. I tried hundreds of times to unlock the Galactic Stadium to no avail. I'm not that good...

No no no no no, big NO to Metal Mario and a huge NO to Pink Gold Peach. Let's not have the same character twice just with different textures and stats, m'kay? It's better if everyone is totally different.

Baby Luigi said:
generally pretty sweet remixes of themes from the two series?

and uh

But yes new Strikers needs to happen. Both games were super fun and Mario characters acting comically edgy is hilarious.

Ok, since you already know who I would propose as new characters, let's just say that the smallest and cutest one (if remains cute unlike all the other edgy characters) with the Mega Ball ability (he makes the ball giant and walks on it) and the girl might be interesting contribution to the roster, but you know I would like the oldest even if there is 0 point in having him (for some reason I would see him with his father's cape rather than the aggressive sports outfit and only acting calm and arrogant without any aggressiveness whatsoever...).

And King K. Rool as captain is a given.
But really, can we have Boom Booms as sidekicks? And the Bumpties? They would be even legit Strikers sidekicks!
And, of course, Pom Pom as goalie now (but as a choice along with the Kremlings, not as replacement of those!).

Anser said:
Yeah! I also proposed Goomba as a new sidekick, along with Luma, Magikoopa and Paratroopa, but I hadn't thought of Piantas. Maybe Nokis and Paragoombas too? I don't know. Wiggler would be cool too but... wouldn't he be too big?

I envy you. I tried hundreds of times to unlock the Galactic Stadium to no avail. I'm not that good...

No no no no no, big NO to Metal Mario and a huge NO to Pink Gold Peach. Let's not have the same character twice just with different textures and stats, m'kay? It's better if everyone is totally different.
Oh, those are also good choices. I'd even throw in Fly Guys for that matter. Nokis and Paragoombas are good too. Wiggler worked as a sidekick character in Mario Super Sluggers, I'm sure it would be good, unique choice for team players. Its size could be what sets it apart.

My tactic was just abuse Toad and Boo's dekes to get past the goalie. Dry Bones is just fast and defensive, but the other two are fast enough for a decent defensive role. Mario is just... well, I like him, okay? I also practiced a whole lot for blocking mega strikes, so I just got good at that, even blocking the orange ones. And since the computer players love to mega strike and/or resort to white balls rather than cheesing past goalies, they can't really do much to my blazing fast teammates... and Mario I guess. So, that's how I beat Petey Piranha 5-0 in the final match. I didn't lose a single match the entire time.

Hm, well, I like Metal Mario. He might make a good choice for a power character who isn't hulking. I personally like him, too, so it's mostly my bias showing. He could be added in at a last minute or something.

Boom Booms would make good sidekicks, too. Good idea. I'd also like Penguins for sidekicks too, would be nice to have birds on my team.

Threek said:
Baby Luigi said:
generally pretty sweet remixes of themes from the two series?

and uh

But yes new Strikers needs to happen. Both games were super fun and Mario characters acting comically edgy is hilarious.
When people extract models from those games, it's a field day for me. Because if there's one thing commendable about the franchise, its its graphics. And no, don't downplay that. I, as a modeler, highly appreciate that stuff.

Back