• Polari

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Lubba

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Both

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
Polari hes is not a fatso like lubba

Polari looks like any other basic Luma, so I have no complaints with him. Lubba, on the other hand, is a bit of a waste, if you asked me.

Lubba is funny, purple, and fat, just like Wario.

Flubber said:
Lubba. (s?)hes so cute that..

Petey has a similar problem. While he's officially male in most countries, in French countries (being named Flora Piranha), Petey is female.

Why Lubba is female in German countries is beyond me; see the spoiler below for an image.

Gender_in_Germany_by_BrokenTeapot.jpg

Lubba is like Patrick Star: funny, fat, star-shaped, and wears only pants.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Lubba is like Patrick Star: funny, fat, star-shaped, and wears only pants.
Haha oh my gosh true!!

Well Lubba is the only Luma that is different and er Large.

Apart from hungry luma's of course but there are like different types of them

Polari because he looks like a Hersheys Kiss.

MnSG said:
Flubber said:
Lubba. (s?)hes so cute that..

Petey has a similar problem. While he's officially male in most countries, in French countries (being named Flora Piranha), Petey is female.

Why Lubba is female in German countries is beyond me; see the spoiler below for an image.

Gender_in_Germany_by_BrokenTeapot.jpg

Not just in German. In Spain, Petey and Lubba are also female, and Petey is also named Flora Piranha.

To me, I´ve always seen the english versions as the ones that screw the character´s genders, despite being the most played around the world. I mean, I can´t speak for other PAL region languages since I can´t understand them, but the spanish translations of Mario games are almost always done from the original Japanese texts, which avoids any changes the english versions introduce, so I can safely assume it´s the same for the other languages except english, which for the most part is kept from the american english translations.

I mean, english versions tipically censor any kind of mildly "dirty" jokes, such as Vivian being a tranny, and, considering the reactions of english people when they find out watching a video I have on Youtube that proves it, I can see why they did censor the joke. But then there are Lubba and Petey who are changed into males in english. Yeah, mindscrew ftw.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about the topic: I voted both. I like Polari although he doesn´t get much role, and Lubba is awesome because of his/her lame puns. I dunno why people hate Lubba (the usual reason is being Rosalina´s replacement, but Rosalina appears in Galaxy 2 too, so...)

I also recalled hearing that in Japan, Birdo is a male who likes to imitate a girl. In English countries, Birdos are indeterminate gendered (based on Birdo's trophy in Brawl), but some do have official genders (such as the Birdo commonly used in spin-offs).

Sorry about going off-topic like that again. On-topic now...

MnSG said:
I also recalled hearing that in Japan, Birdo is a male who likes to imitate a girl. In English countries, Birdos are indeterminate gendered (based on Birdo's trophy in Brawl), but some do have official genders (such as the Birdo commonly used in spin-offs).

Sorry about going off-topic like that again. On-topic now...

Just to clarify things: Nintendo has retconned the main Birdo´s gender to be female even if it was initially a male in Japan, yes.

They still toy around with her gender for some jokes such as that famous mission in Captain Rainbow, but as tv tropes would say, that´s just the rule of funny, or, in other words, just for the lulz.

Back