All-Stars in Mario main games possible?

Who should be playable characters or partners in the next Mario main game?

• Total voters

Dorayaki

King Bowser
All-Stars in Mario main games possible?

Mariostars.jpg

Desktops

for such a long time playing main series of Mario games
it's making me a little strange (or bored?) for that the plot restricts the main characters
in which we can conclude in one sentence :
Mario and his brother Luigi fight against Bowser to rescue Princess Peach, no other important roles (?)
while spin-offs reversely feature in variable Mario members

for those other Mario members seldom appear in main games
it lacks the persuasion for their friendships or other relations, if these can be only shown in plot of main games
or sometimes their relations seem to be just an "introduction" or personal images
( for example, some fans want to know whether Luigi has love interests in Daisy and see them save each other =///= )
in some RPG games, it also shows the availability for multiple playable characters as a team
but it never conducts on Mario members
so I tried to classify these details by characters and games

Characters :

Peach & Toad
Most significant NPCs since the first SuperMarioBros, also important in all later main Mario series. Although Peach seems to be a stereo-type and weak princess/hostage, special magic and tactical attack abilities are added for her in later games in RPG series and SuperPrincessPeach. Toad only had his playablility in Super Mario USA, although his assistant status in most Mario games.

Bowser
Strongest rival in Mario series! Although almost impossible to ask him as a partner, temporarily alliance for new threats is okay

Donkey Kong & Wario
Both the two made rivalary against Mario in initial main series games in Donkey Kong and Wario Land. After Nintendo established their own series, they seem to have no chance (or need?) to be Mario's rival but another player and even own other partners. Still Wario made a return in 64DS and Donkey Kong came back in mini-march series.
In the relationship, we know that Wario has rivals Mario for a long time. But how Donkey Kong' gets alone with Mario in spin-offs is still unknown, even that Pauline who takes Donkey Kong's notice never attends spin-offs.....
(maybe the fact is that Pauline is an intruder between DK and Mario)

Yoshi
Mario's best partner in charge of riding. Unlike DK and Wario, luckily, he can both own his series and still appear in most Mario main games, although only play individually in 64DS in Mario main series.

Birdo & Daisy
Initially a rival and a hostage, the two female characters never made another appearance in main games but take stages in spin-offs. In face of their counterparts Yoshi & Peach, it's still strange for that today nobody wants to ride on Birdo or attempt to kidnap Daisy.

Waluigi & Toadette
Even worse than the previous couple, the two are created in spin-offs to correspond their two counterpartner, Wario and Toad. They have no main stages in any Mario main game, although Toadette only made appearance in PaperMarioTT.

BowserJr. & Toadsworth
Far away from Waluigi, both started from Sunshine, and are created as Bowser and Peach's important relatives intendedly. So their future status are ensure, even BowserJr. can appear in most spin-offs and main games in a short time......

Pauline & Candy Kong & Mona
Already complained in old topic fading heroines.

DK series
The most notable subseries. Donkey Kong's relatives mostly live in their country, but they never make direct relationships with original Mario members with formal plot. It may be a little strange about their appearances and standpoints in Mario spin-offs...

Wario series
Mostly, Wario's best friends live in Diamond City and ally as Warioware. Wario has no significant partner in advantures (Waluigi : ......) but rivals Captain Syrup. Same as DK series, we don't know when these characters will make direct relationships with Mario members.

...Others?
Most Mario members are told above if no other close relatives of these characters. So if still reasons that someone else should be in Mario members, may be partner characters that appeared in RPG series or tennis/sports series, etc, even if they only appeared for one time but are determined to be Mario's close friend.
Another uncertain character is Rosalina. She is significant in Galaxy series but not a close relative or friend for Mario members yet.

Games of Partners :

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
The very first game with the concept of "partners". Although Luigi didn't appear, most Mario members hadn't make debut in NES too, so two original characters Geno and Mallow took stage. With Princess Peach and Bowser on Mario's team, it's maybe a classic in the NES age.

Paper Mario series
In some aspects, it herits the concept from SuperMarioRPG, but goes back to the mode of "evil Boss Bowser and hostage Princess Peach"(except Queen Shadow), which two are not in Mario's team. But neither no other Mario members join Mario's team, instead, new partners from different villages of species. In some aspectsof RPG that collect partners through traveling is another pleasure, but the premise should be that Mario can't call any other friends or he can find the friends on the road of traveling. Also it's a pity that these distinctive and featuring partners can only appear once in the two games.
For those Mario members who still appeared, the satire of Paper Luigi may be meaningless to players, even the pitiful Toadette who can't join.....

Mario and Luigi series
In most main games, Luigi plays 2P, although playable but not Mario's partner. It is reasonable for such a series to emphasize on the brothers with their baby states and Bowser, though not totally concerning Mario members too much.

Super Mario 64 DS
Leveled up from the original 64 version, makes Yoshi playable and plusses Luigi and Wario, which two seldom had chances of partnership. It must be persuable to make old 64 players buy this transplanted remake.

Super Paper Mario
Back to the similar mode of SuperMarioRPG, Princess Peach, Bowser came back even with Luigi and Pixls. Although no any other main Mario member joins, it may be the ideal example of all-star game, although not for classic Mario bros or full 3D series.

Baseball series
Although not in Mario main series, Baseball series make main characters - Mario, Peach, DonkeyKong, Yoshi, Wario and Bowser browse on 3D gym maps and find their teamates in challenge mode. It may be another demonstration if the game is not a baseball game but an RPG .

New Super Mario Bros Wii
The first time of classic Bros series allow multiple players together, up to 4. Before on sale, since Peach and Bowser are excluded in the classic plot, most assumptions would aim at the possibility of Mario members' new engagement instead of two unfamiliar Toads.
One argument refers that Blue and Yellow are ideal colors to perform on screen along with Red and Green plumbers (although some Mario members already have the two theme colors). Rationally, even if the heros did run out in a rush at the beginning of Princess Peach's birthday party, at least Princess Daisy, Toadette, Toadsworth and the NPC-only Toad who must be attendents chased, too. Also since characters are choosable in multiplay mode, staff don't have to restrict options to only four.

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Co-star made his cooperative playability here, although not meant to be major in the plot.

In fact, the plot of classic Super Mario is not full of disadvantages.Different from other RPG games, players can concentrate on enjoying every features, like traps and secret passages of games. We do not have to concern heavy or desperate plot including sacrifice or betrayal scenario.
But still since Mario members are created with their distinctive personality, relationships and special abilities of battle, these elements are just wasted or not considered as a true part of Mario world if not used in Mario main series.
Still there are many other solutions to this problem, such as developing new subseries (ex. Super Princess Peach) to tell other characters' own detailing story. But I hope one day that Mario can fight, travel and adventure with his conviced close friends together on the road of Mario series.

P.S. please confirm if mistakes above

Bowser threatened to quit the job if he ever got a lecture on the super power of teamwork, so Nintendo decided to play it safe.

I voted Daisy and Birdo because they need more respect :< They both actually started out as main Mario series characters (well, Birdo started out in Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic! of course, but her first Mario-related appearance was in a main series game), yet have hardly appeared in the main series after their debut (or, in Daisy's case, never). A lot of the other characters on the list either already receive a lot of attention, even if not as playable characters (Koopa Jr. and Toadsworth for instance), have already been playable in the main series (Koopa, Wario, Peach, etc.) or I simply can't easily imagine their being playable.

In any case though, I definitely support the idea of more - or rather, other - playable characters. With the amount of recurring characters introduced in the Mario series and its spin-offs so far, it's a shame that so little is being done with so many of them, mostly in favour of the Mario brothers. Some more "gaiden" games centering around characters that aren't among the current cast of "main" hero characters would be nice, actually. It's been done before with the Yoshi series, the Wario series and Super Princess Peach, and I'm not aware that any of those have been received particularly negatively, so I don't believe games with other characters in major roles would be noticably harder to market, especially with the popularity that so many of the "side" characters possess by now.

I voted Toad for an obvious reason. He has been my favourite Mario character since Super Mario Bros., and after playing him in Super Mario Bros. 2, I was disappointed that he no longer appeared as a playable character in the later mainstream games. New Super Mario Bros. Wii did give Toad a chance (though it was not exactly Toad, but rather two generic Toads). I do hope that he gets a better treatment in the future as it seems that most of the other regular characters in the mainstream games have gotten bigger roles in comparison to Toad.

New Super Mario said:
a couple games but not every game
well, it's also hard to call all characters in most games. but may just enlist different subcharacters in turn

Vellidragon said:
I voted Daisy and Birdo because they need more respect :<

it's a shame mostly in favour of the Mario brothers. I don't believe games with other characters harder to market, especially with the popularity.

Well......for Daisy, Birdo, Waluigi and Toadette, they are mostly less noticed by either non-playable or not owning individual series. Especially as referred, Daisy's place of heroine as Peach is really weak.

In the basic standpoint of the topic, the topic just mentioned that Nintendo should lay more emphasis on the characters' detaling stories and relationships. But also for reality of market, since characters that came from old Mario main games, new fans can't tell who every "main" character is, and need to know them in recent main series. Reversely, the more those main characters appear in the main series, the more fans would love to buy spin-offs.

Speaking truth, Miyamoto might just want to emphasize on game features instead of multiple playable characters or plot. Or Mario bros would lose their status under other popular characters...... but from the imbalanced reality, the problem would only emerge after a very long time.

I heard that Miyamoto doesn't like to use characters he had no involvement in creating, which would explain the lack of Daisy, Wario, and Waluigi in main games.

I vote for Baisy, Birdo and Mona!
I think they never expected things to get this far... I don't think they planned that characters like: (Wario, Waluigi, daisy, etc.) will become that famous. When they created them... They just wanted to do more Mario games. And now they're dealing with it... They give them a diversity of abilities and well definited personalities as time passed, this give them a lot of possibilities. this thing is growing and getting out of hand with 1000000 fans expectatives. And I think it will be a great business for nintendo to use this for their own good, and explote this huge thing they been slowly creating. So... I agree!. XD

DaisyCrazy14 said:
I heard that Miyamoto doesn't like to use characters he had no involvement in creating, which would explain the lack of Daisy, Wario, and Waluigi in main games.
well, I almost forgot this point......rightly Mario Lands from GB
or recently other minor Mario handheld games are not designed by Miyamoto or the core staff
it may not be necessary or forces Miyamoto to think of them in new main games

but whatever subseries or other games, most players don't consider who made them
since the games are all under the brand of Mario, and the characters are recognized to be together
Miyamoto can't take excuse to refuse other characters' participation
unless he step in the designs of early spinoffs to prevent this.....

also another problem is that whether the staff can utilize and reuse old characters in new plot
for Mario RPG, Paper or 3D series where many characters could appear
suppose that there were a "mother of star" in SMB, hence Rosalina couldn't appear in Galaxy

DaisyCrazy14 said:
I don't think they planned that characters like: (Wario, Waluigi, daisy, etc.) will become that famous. When they created them...
well, since they can participate in spinoffs
I think Nintendo do know that how to reuse popular characters and earn
but it's impossible to make popular characters more and more, and all of them appear in main games
only if that Nintendo begins to plan the use of main subcharacters

Wasn't daisy created by Miyamoto's Mentor?
It will be a great way of honoring him even more, if he puts he's character on a main game.

ToD the ToaD said:
Wasn't daisy created by Miyamoto's Mentor?
It will be a great way of honoring him even more, if he puts he's character on a main game.
Daisy and Wario were original from Super Mario Land, which designer wasn't Miyamoto.
their formal appearance in Mario spinoffs, Miyamoto mostly only plays the role of supervision and design

I think if they really consider to throw a character in spin-off, they need to consider this
or they can wait someone like Rosalina who has a concrete story in main game

This should be the list of playable characters for the next mainstream Mario game:

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Yoshi, Birdo, Rosalina, Toad, Toadette, Wario, Waluigi, DK

Of course it's only wishful thinking though...I doubt Nintendo is gonna add THAT many playable characters in a huge, mainstream game. Appearances, yes, but playable? Likely not.

Although it would be a great change in the typical Mario gaming style if they did do that though.

Bowser and Bowser Jr. should not be playable seeing as how they're the bad guys and there's no point in actually playing, unless there's a side story going on. Or, we could play as one of the enemies who explore Bowser's castle and tries to escape.

I was also gonna add Diddy and Dixie, but I figured they were too irrelevant for the Mario series but I'd like them to be featured in a mainstream game tho.

Starr said:
I doubt Nintendo is gonna add THAT many playable characters in a huge, mainstream game. Appearances, yes, but playable? Likely not.
Although it would be a great change in the typical Mario gaming style if they did do that though.
I was also gonna add Diddy and Dixie, but I figured they were too irrelevant for the Mario series but I'd like them to be featured in a mainstream game tho.
I just mean that Nintendo should utilize most main characters in main game instead of recurring in spinoffs only, there is not so much need yet to call for many playable characters in each action game. But in face of partners in Paper Mario and New Mario bros, it shows that some other main characters can/sholud be playable, too.
Wario or DK series can concentrate on their own series as make more chances for the rest of main roles, although they still need some appearances to show the relationships of subseries.

Peach and Toad. I think it would be perfect to be another Mario game that has Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad as the main characters. That seems to be the most realistic though. It would be nice to see a mainstream Mario game that has a full list of characters helping out to save the world or something.

Peachy said:
Peach and Toad. I think it would be perfect to be another Mario game that has Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad as the main characters. That seems to be the most realistic though. It would be nice to see a mainstream Mario game that has a full list of characters helping out to save the world or something.
Toad can do that in SMBWii --- though other two blue and yellow guys replace him :(

not to mention the old game SMB USA
this combination is not complete if counting main member living in Mushroom Kingdom
there must be Daisy, Toadette and Toadsworth(maybe NPC only) playable at the same time Peach and Toad are in

also the problem is that no other main characters engage main games, this combination is just tranditional and didn't solve much

Dorayaki said:
Peachy said:
Toad can do that in SMBWii --- though other two blue and yellow guys replace him :(

not to mention the old game SMB USA
this combination is not complete if counting main member living in Mushroom Kingdom
there must be Daisy, Toadette and Toadsworth(maybe NPC only) playable at the same time Peach and Toad are in

also the problem is that no other main characters engage main games, this combination is just tranditional and didn't solve much
Waluigi should be a boss in Super Mario 3D.

Yacker said:
the basic problem is the relationships of all main characters
Bowser ans his son are the main villians
Toad, Toadette, Toadsworth and Daisy should have appeared in most recent main tranditional series as they are close friends of Peach and live near by the Mushroom castle (Nintendo's unsolved problem)

the others DK and kongs, Wario bros and Yoshi, Birdo are Mario's other friend or rival
but in theory they don't live in Mushroom Kingdom so they appear more seldom in main games, unless other reasons (the only unreasonable one is Yoshi) or all characters can appear

also don't forget, traditional Mario games are based on "Mario fights Bowser's troop on his way"
Wario and Waluigi don't go with Bowser, unless like Birdo, act as an irreleveant involver

basically Waluigi should get his chance in Wario series......

Dorayaki said:
Yacker said:
the basic problem is the relationships of all main characters
Bowser ans his son are the main villians
Toad, Toadette, Toadsworth and Daisy should have appeared in most recent main tranditional series as they are close friends of Peach and live near by the Mushroom castle (Nintendo's unsolved problem)

the others DK and kongs, Wario bros and Yoshi, Birdo are Mario's other friend or rival
but in theory they don't live in Mushroom Kingdom so they appear more seldom in main games, unless other reasons (the only unreasonable one is Yoshi) or all characters can appear

also don't forget, traditional Mario games are based on "Mario fights Bowser's troop on his way"
Wario and Waluigi don't go with Bowser, unless like Birdo, act as an irreleveant involver

basically Waluigi should get his chance in Wario series......
Then he should have is own stage in the next wareware game.

Ussually, the only main playable charater in the mario series is either Mario or Luigi. With the exeption of NSMBW, I would like one of the Toads to be playable in a 3D mario game. It would be cool

I voted Toad and Toadette (to replace Blue and Yellow toad as the 3rd and 4th playable characters), Bowser (I want a minigame or arcade section with him as the playable character), and others (I want some of the PM buddies, primarily Goombario and Lady Bow, to make a comeback. They never got enough time to develop as characters.)

Back