Generic human characters in Mario Tennis/Golf series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorayaki

King Bowser
For basic changes in Tennis Open compared with the old titles, I'd refresh this topic to talk about it.

Golf and Tennis series are mainly developed by Camelot, a subteam of Nintendo. A feature of these gams different from other Mario games is that, the main characters are not Mario or his close friend---but strangers.
Well, more clearly, the aim of staff is clearly that we should consider them as ourselves (much like Pokemon games), who strive to win a trophy in the world of sports. But the idea is not so flexible, since the characters are not so generic in face of Pokemon series and other Mario characters are so remarkable.

The outline of the main story usually goes like this: first of all "we" have to win the championship in "the world we live", then we can get the chance to "another world" where Mario and his friends exist and play with them. (uh, Mario should be from "our world" Italy actually, but that's not important.)
This makes a blind spot : although the young athletes are far away from Mushroom Kingdom, but in reality we players are already familiar with Mario. IF we just play for Mario, why don't we just buy other spinoffs but this game almost without Mario?

However, we shouldn't be biased to the Tennis/Golf athletes. We might be emotional in them, since we already pay lot of time with them. But the problem is that they aren't promised to be recurring in all future sport games (regardless of that the series itself changes different human players by game)

In the premise that the series shouldn't have added the "club story", there should be more better ways besides traditional Mario spinoffs where we just have to play as Mario characters. Rather than generic human, some human characters in Wario series (Mona, Syrup) are much more distinctive, and some one-game-only characters(eg, RPG partners) do fit more in Mario world than these athletes.
And because the series was born in GBC era, now some games are made for Mii where players can be "themselves" (eg, Fortune Street).

MarioPowerOpen.jpg

Now the newest Mario Tennis Open shows that Nintendo have the interest to make more games, but this time they obviously decide to remove the club story settings. There is the problem that whether they shouldn't abandon the tranditions they made, and how to deal with the athlete characters since they won't appear in the next sequel?

I think we don't have to be left or right wing. There are still some neutral ways. For example, they can preserve the environment of "clubhouse" where Mario and friends pay visits, and the atheletes teach them how to play. Or the staff can make a recurring representive of athletes (eg, Ace, Plum) playable in all future Mario sport spinoff.

Re: Third or first party in Mario Tennis/Golf series?

For example, Daisy was really never a playable character in those Camelot Tennis/Golf series.

What? You do realize that Daisy got re-introduced in Mario Tennis 64, and she also appeared as playable in Mario Golf TT and Mario Power Tennis, right?

Yes, I know that the Camelot handheld Mario sports games are focused on generic characters that upon becoming stars at their sports, eventually get to whatever sport tourney the mushroom kingdom people are organizing, but I thought that was a nice way of making a different plot and keep things fresh.

The only complain I give you is the lack of Mario characters in Sports Mix.

I have no clue what you are talking about Dorayaki. It wa rambling that didn't make much sense. I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Camelot is better when it comes to selecting characters (even though they screwed up with Baby Mario by himself).

They also make funny cutscenes of Wario and Waluigi. 5 minute long opening is awesome in Mario Power Tennis, plus the bloopers. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour opening was great too.

The console games that camelot makes, I believe, are better than the handhelds. I hope that camelot makes more Mario Tennis/Golf games.

And besides, I do not think you are talking about the consoles anyway.

Villain said:
I don't understand the point you are trying to make.
Sorry for that since I posted without thinkin, and some adjustments are made
Hope that you may put doubts here

Easmo said:
What? You do realize that Daisy got re-introduced, right?
Yes, but I thought that was a nice way of making a different plot and keep things fresh.
The only complain I give you is the lack of Mario characters in Sports Mix.
Well, I talked about Daisy for in games where generic characters appeared in this topic
But that’s right I said it roughly

Not to mention this problem, training and development sports game is still nice in some ways, no need to reject.
But actually for the same type of game plot and same problem of generic characters, it may be fresh at once, but not at all after 4~5 times……

I don’t hate FF roles to be guests, but to exclude the replaced Mario main characters and species, ninjas and magicians are not true characters, but just professions. If staff use those specific characters in FF XIII and Chocobo series (example picture above), it can be more reasonable……

BabyLuigiOnFire said:
Camelot is better when it comes to selecting characters (even though they screwed up with Baby Mario by himself). They also make funny cutscenes of Wario and Waluigi. 5 minute long opening is awesome in Mario Power Tennis, plus the bloopers. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour opening was great too.
LeftyGreenMario said:
The console games that camelot makes, I believe, are better than the handhelds. I hope that camelot makes more Mario Tennis/Golf games.
Yeah, the plot of generic characters is mainly used in handhelds, but in the sight of home game consoles, Camelot mad good jobs in those sport games.
Besides, Mario Golf 64 also allow generic characters go together with Mario team equally, not as the handheld games, where we are forced be in the their perspective in story modes.

Another problem is that even if we have to play as a new character for plot, whatever, generic characters that are all “human” from “reality” don’t make sense with Mushroom world viewpoint. If staff could mixed other characters from different races or species that had been in Mario series, the whole perception could be more natural.

One thing I did not mention about "generics" in sports games is that they give the marioverse some logic and depth. I mean, sure, Mario is a plumber who saves worlds in his spare time but as professional as he is, it would be overpowering him if he was the best at everything. Having these "filler" sports people makes sense, since in the Mario world, every sport has its own champions (like Kid who´s supossed to be a golfing legend), whereas the Mario cast seem more like famous people doing tourneys or show-offs.

Easmo said:
Mario is a plumber who saves worlds in his spare time but as professional as he is, it would be overpowering him if he was the best at everything.
uhm.....that make sense
whatever, Mario is still not a profession in sports out of his true career
if there is a plot that the "heroine/hero" have to become professional athletes, there must be new characters
but the final match between Mario members and the hero/heroines is wierd in standpoints
if it is that Mario members come to join our local tournaments
or Mario members won their championship in Mushrrom Kingdom so we take a friendship or international tournament with them, this can be more reasonable

also this don't affect some problems above, including whether the characters are valuable, recurring or the plot fits in the viewpoint of Mario world

HOLY HELL, IS THAT GOOMBELLA AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER?!

Villain11 said:
I have no clue what you are talking about Dorayaki. It wa rambling that didn't make much sense. I don't understand the point you are trying to make.
Do you care to say which part you don't understand?

That was a post made two years ago made by someone who hasn't been online in two months.

I actually like generic humans as long as they don't take like every roster spot

Marshal Dan Troop said:
I actually like generic humans as long as they don't take like every roster spot

Some of them are actually hilarious to play against in Mario Golf. Which lightens my attitude for them. At least you can choose them as an opponent, unlike dumbass Miis.

The only times I really wouldn't mind them in the roster is only if some of our favorites made it in playable. THEN add them.

Baby Luigi said:
Marshal Dan Troop said:

Some of them are actually hilarious to play against in Mario Golf. Which lightens my attitude for them. At least you can choose them as an opponent, unlike dumbass Miis.

The only times I really wouldn't mind them in the roster is only if some of our favorites made it in playable. THEN add them.
Maple is the greatest Mario Golf character ever

Marshal Dan Troop said:
Baby Luigi said:
Marshal Dan Troop said:

Maple is the greatest Mario Golf character ever

No Charlie is, with that fish face of his and his constant +7 scores!

Marshal Dan Troop said:
Just not too many like handhelds. One or two are okay, and don't easily change human characters in the next game.

Lumin Blade said:
And Wario, Yoshi and Daisy were left out in Mario Tennis: Power Tour (GBA).
It's not the problem since some of them are not musthaves in spinoffs.

Just not too many like handhelds. One or two are okay, and don't easily change human characters in the next game.

It's not the problem since some of them are not musthaves in spinoffs.
Uh no. We should have a lot of humans. There's nothing wrong with having humans in video games. Bruh they ARE must haves in spin offs

W

Well, I talked about Daisy for in games where generic characters appeared in this topic
But thats right I said it roughly

Not to mention this problem, training and development sports game is still nice in some ways, no need to reject.
But actually for the same type of game plot and same problem of generic characters, it may be fresh at once, but not at all after 4~5 times

I dont hate FF roles to be guests, but to exclude the replaced Mario main characters and species, ninjas and magicians are not true characters, but just professions. If staff use those specific characters in FF XIII and Chocobo series (example picture above), it can be more reasonable

Yeah, the plot of generic characters is mainly used in handhelds, but in the sight of home game consoles, Camelot mad good jobs in those sport games.
Besides, Mario Golf 64 also allow generic characters go together with Mario team equally, not as the handheld games, where we are forced be in the their perspective in story modes.

Another problem is that even if we have to play as a new character for plot, whatever, generic characters that are all human from reality dont make sense with Mushroom world viewpoint. If staff could mixed other characters from different races or species that had been in Mario series, the whole perception could be more natural.
We were never forced to be in their perspective. Also no it wouldn't be more natural and every point you made is wrong. The staff should have alot of humans. THAT is more natural

Handhelds are better than the console games

No it

But thats right I said it roughly

But actually for the same type of game plot and same problem of generic characters, it may be fresh at once, but not at all after 4~5 times

I dont hate FF roles to be guests, but to exclude the replaced Mario main characters and species, ninjas and magicians are not true characters, but just professions. If staff use those specific characters in FF XIII and Chocobo series (example picture above), it can be more reasonable

Another problem is that even if we have to play as a new character for plot, whatever, generic characters that are all human from reality dont make sense with Mushroom world viewpoint. If staff could mixed other characters from different races or species that had been in Mario series, the whole perception could be more natural.
IS fresh after 4-5 times. Also those aren't problems you are saying for the previous and here points that are falsely made.

They ARE true characters. Not professions. It isn't the sight of home game consoles. The characters aren't generic characters and they DO make sense if they are human from a mushroom world viewpoint. Dude it's Mario. It's not supposed to make sense.Piss off with that shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back