Donkey Kong Country Returns

I wasn't attacking you per se, I was attacking your fanboy raeg filled post.

If you want something relevant, this game looks pretty damn fine. I don't care about the Kremlins, as far as I care they're just generic mooks. I never really cared about DKC very much, but the fact that this game is legitimately challenging caught my attention.

I haven't played the game and even though I respect your disliking of the game, I 'm gonna have to disagree. Donkey Kong is still back and this game is a good basis for future sequels and possibly a 3D game a la Mario Galaxy. I miss Funky, Candy, Dixie, Kremlings, Enguarde and the underwater levels like hell, but still this is a pretty cool game. I think that Retro is allowed one mistake, because they really put hard work and plenty of depth in this game. If they do it again in a possible DKCR2 we 're totally allowed to curse them out, but for now they should be encouraged to keep up the good work AND bring back all our favorite DKC elements.

I never said that I didn't like the game, I'm saying that I was disappointed in that aspect of it. I still find the game fun to play and everything, but the game just isn't quite what I thought it would be.

Also, this may sound as if I'm nitpicking, but I liked it better when the 1-Up Balloons had the Kongs' faces on them, rather than the generic ones that they used in Donkey Kong Country Returns, but maybe that's just me.

Strange, since unlike in another franchise release, Sonic Colours (which I found to be good but disappointing), Retro made it clear from pretty much the start that the aspects you wanted were not going to be in at all. Sounds like you just built up an illusion based on the thought that they'd be obscuring the truth, when they did not.

Blaze the Cat said:
Also, this may sound as if I'm nitpicking, but I liked it better when the 1-Up Balloons had the Kongs' faces on them, rather than the generic ones that they used in Donkey Kong Country Returns, but maybe that's just me.
It's not just you. When I first saw how bland those 1-Up balloons were I was disappointed.

In my honest opinion, the Tikis are fucking awesome.

They are unique characters and are quite a group. Those who are whining about Kremlings not being the game should loosen their nostalgia goggles a bit.

Yin-Yarn said:
In my honest opinion, the Tikis are *bleep*ing awesome.

They are unique characters and are quite a group. Those who are whining about Kremlings not being the game should loosen their nostalgia goggles a bit.
That's not too easy when you've played DK games with Kremlings in them all your life. Image them getting rid of Koopas and Goombas in Mario games.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Image them getting rid of Koopas and Goombas in Mario games.
200px-Super_mario_sunshine.jpg

I like the Tikis though. It gave the game a good plot and something that the Kremlings couldn't have done. What would've the plot of DKCR be with Kremlings and K. Rool, the same plot as DKC? :/

I don´t get why everyone on the internet instantly attacks anyone who dares to say that something from a good game dissapointed him/her. I think that Blazethecat´s "raaaeeeg" opinion is perfectly legitimate.

I want to play the game and decide for myself if it´s good or bad, but you can´t deny that the fact that they named it "returns" and yet they axed about 90% of the iconic elements and faces of the game´s they were supossedly paying homage to, is a freaking slap in the face. Retro´s "does K.Rool NEED to come back?" line, makes me want to punch the one who said it, for god´s sake...

Exactly. You've hit the nail right on the head.

kat-rin koopa said:
Strange, since unlike in another franchise release, Sonic Colours (which I found to be good but disappointing), Retro made it clear from pretty much the start that the aspects you wanted were not going to be in at all. Sounds like you just built up an illusion based on the thought that they'd be obscuring the truth, when they did not.
Maybe so, but like I said several pages back, even PR statements could turn out to be untrue sometimes. I was also hoping that they might have changed their minds midway through the game's development once they saw how pissed people were about the lack of K. Rool and the rest of the Kremlings, but I guess not. Plus, there were all these different theories about K. Rool's involvement in the story, which all sounded very plausible (not just my own; I'm talking about the DKU forum members' theories, as well). Also, you cannot TELL me that it isn't a blatant disregard for the Kremlings, having the Tikis steal Donkey Kong's banana hoard, as well as using the same (or at least similar) airships and machinery that the Kremlings have used. It's almost as if that was done to throw it in peoples' faces.

The Tikis actually HAD a reason to steal the banana hoard while the Kremlings technically didn't and just used it to lure Donkey Kong in their traps.

That wasn't the case in Donkey Kong 64, though. In that game, K. Rool and the Kremlings stole Donkey Kong's banana hoard in order to keep the Kongs busy while they construct that "Blast-O-Matic" cannon to destroy Donkey Kong Island.

Oh, okay, but Donkey Kong Country 3 is an exception, though. In that game, K. Rool turned his efforts to world domination.

Anyway, regarding the Tikis... I'm not normally this bitter towards one-shot villains (assuming that's what they are). In fact, there's even some that I prefer over the usual main antagonist. These guys aren't one of them, however. I just happen to think that they're so bland and uninteresting, compared to the characters they're replacing.

Oh, and another thing, nostalgia isn't the primary reason why I'm so pissed off about this. It also has to do with the way the series has been getting handled/treated after Rare was brought out by Microsoft. First, we were given Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, which was described as Donkey Kong's "triumphant comeback". While the game was fun and everything, it was still a complete disappointment, since they pretty much went out of their way to exclude everything that made the series so great in the first place, even going so far as to say that they "[weren't] fresh enough for today" to justify it.

What Retro Studios did was hardly any different. They did almost the exact same thing: Removing key elements and proclaiming DKCR as a glorious return to the series' roots. Similar to the "[not] fresh enough for today" comment, they tried to justify the lack of Kremlings by saying, "Does K. Rool NEED to come back?". Oh, yeah... Now THAT'S reassuring. Did they honestly expect people to be content with this? As much of a letdown as it is that the Kremlings weren't included in the game, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be nearly as pissed off about it had they not made a comment like that.

I finally beat this game today.

IMO the final boss wasn't that good. But maybe that was because of the difficulty and the fact that you don't get any help from Diddy if you die once in the level.

Also, he reminds me a lot of the Master Hand and that boss from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker in the Tower of the Gods.

I just returned the rental and....

I like it. The tikis are pretty badass, the game is challenging yet fun, I hope I can own it soon.

I just got my pre-ordered game! woohoo! The game is totally awesome I just finished the first level. It's really challenging to get everything.

Back