Donkey Kong Country Returns

I may actually buy this seeing as I don't already have the Wii version and I got a bad feeling that this game may not sell that well. As such this game could end up rarer than the Wii version in years to come.

When was the original released? Late 2010? It's been less than three years and they're already making a remake. The original is still available on shelves.

What I am hoping for in the remake is additional content.

Not everyone has a Wii though, so if they have a 3DS, the remake will at least have its reasons for existing.

:donkey kong has same setting; people complain
:donkey kong has new setting; people complain

they just can't win

None of that makes sence I know.

I hate how the people who just complain. (looking at you Nabber)

I'm not complaining or anything, I'm just saying that there are other nintendo games that are coming out close to or soon after that interest me more.

IMO, Donkey kong country 3 was the best out of all of them. It had it all accept mine carts.

^ Are you sure about that? Tearaway Toboggan would like to have a word, along with Demolition Drain-Pipe. Well, I guess they technically aren't "mine carts", but it's a similar gameplay mechanic with the exact same control scheme.

Ghostony said:
:donkey kong has same setting; people complain
:donkey kong has new setting; people complain

they just can't win
Why shouldn't people complain about this? Instead of getting a Donkey Kong Land-style follow-up, we're getting nothing more than a port of the exact same game that was released two years ago, and is still on store shelves at full price. Sure, the first three DKC games had handheld ports, but the originals and their respective consoles had long since become obsolete, and were no longer in stores. Plus, all of those (even the garbage GBC port of the first game) actually had new content. The Returns, port, on the other hand, has no excuse whatsoever to even exist. The only thing good about this, in my opinion, is that it might open up a door for a Virtual Console release of the Donkey Kong Land series.

Good point Solar blaze, never gave that much thought. Those can be considered mine cart levels I guess. Tearaway Toboggan has got to be my favorite out of the two.

Every donkey kong game has had a port. Donkey kong country for example: SNES-best one by the way, Gameboy-donkey kong land-meh, gameboy color-terrible, GBA-ok I guess, virtual console- best port since SNES. It gets old after a while.
How many times will they port DKCR? Only time will tell. Let's hope it's not five times within a ten-years span.

In terms of mine carts, regarding offensive capabilities, I've seen the following...

DKC: Mine carts can't be used for offense by any means; Donkey and Diddy can only defeat a Krash if they're not riding in a mine cart.

DKC2: Skull carts can defeat enemies that Diddy and Dixie can normally jump on.

DKC3: Toboggans can defeat even enemies that Dixie and Kiddy can't jump on, such as Buzzes.

DKCR: Mine carts operate in the same manner as in DKC2, except for that hitting obstacles while riding in one results in an instant life loss at Crazy Cart, Bombs Away, and Prehistoric Path.

I would rather if they releasesd a revamped version of the trilogy.

NSY said:
I would rather if they releasesd a revamped version of the trilogy.

Yes, now there is a good idea. I like that idea alot.

"Easy mode"
what the hell the whole point of the game is that it's supposed to be hard
not to mention that there's already a Super Guide

Solar Blaze said:
Apparently, there is going to be some new content, after all. Until they specify exactly what this "new content" is going to be, I still want as little to do with it as possible.
The new content is an additional eight levels, making up World 9.

There's also more items in the shop, although that's only for "New Mode".

Why are people even whining about the inclusion of an additional mode? It's not like they dumbed it down to everyone, it's an optional feature that you can choose if you don't want to play on the original difficulty.

I agree with GF on this Easy mode is there for those who think the oringnal game was too hard. I have nothing against it.

I'm still not going to buy it.

This has the word "REHASH" written all over it.

I'm pretty sure that Mirror Mode will force even the players who are playing the "New Mode" to have to do everything with only Donkey Kong and one heart. Needless to say, Colonel Pluck is heavily atrocious in Mirror Mode.

I'm glad they gave DK an extra heart. It helps in making it less likely for me to die as much as I did in the Wii version.

Here's a map, showcasing the eight new stages:

CTRP_DKReturns_scrn01_Ev04.png

A few of the new stages show up about a minute and four seconds into the trailer.

I gotta say, this port may not be as half-assed as I originally thought.

Ports are never usually huge advancements, considering they are just ports. But I'm glad they decided to add some new things to it. The map makes me believe each extra level is based off one of the worlds.

Back