Why SPM Sucks

Marcelagus said:
I think the problem is that most people judge it as an RPG.

It's not an RPG guys, it's a platformer. You have to get the RPG thing out of your head.
I was well aware that it was a platformer and not an RPG. I still thought it was an extremely lousy platformer.

I never really had much of a problem with the gameplay. It was a perfectly enjoyable game until the story would rear its ugly head.

At least it had a story. Count Bleck actually has a reason for being evil, unlike Bowser, who's just evil because it's cool. Villains who have a reason to be evil are far more interesting than villains who don't have a reason, and are just evil for the hell of it. As Ballade said, Bowser is better as an anti-hero than as a villain. He had a great personality in Bowser's Inside Story.

And they've already had Bowser as the villain in the original Paper Mario. It would be boring if they repeated the same plot again.

Motives are nice and all but not when they're as retarded as Bleck's. Imagine if everyone acted like that when their girlfriend broke up with them.

Just because they don't want Bowser as a villain again doesn't mean they have to make him the town idiot.

Mr. Doctor Professor Assistant-Governor General Shyguy said:
Motives are nice and all but not when they're as retarded as Bleck's. Imagine if everyone acted like that when their girlfriend broke up with them.

Just because they don't want Bowser as a villain again doesn't mean they have to make him the town idiot.

Bowser is almost never the main antagonist of a Mario RPG game anyway.

Marcelagus said:

What about Shyguys last point?

Marcelagus said:

Such a terrible chain, huh?

Imagine if everyone acted like that when their girlfriend broke up with them.
Like I've said before, that wasn't the reason why Count Bleck tried to destroy the world. It was because he thought that Tippi/Timpani had been killed, after his father made her wander through all of those dimensions.

THAT CHANGES NOTHING. A LOT OF PEOPLE'S SPOUSES DIE. NONE OF THEM HAVE EVER BEEN THAT SOUL-CRUSHINGLY EMO ABOUT IT.

My grandfather died of clinical depression shortly after my grandmother died.

People don't die of depression, they die of not taking care of themselves because they don't give a shit anymore.
Besides, that doesn't change the fact that Bleck is borderline-retarded, ridiculously stuck-up, and spoiled beyond belief; and THAN at the end they try to make you feel sorry for him, even though he near-single-handedly destroyed entire universes(i.e, more than any sentient being in real life will probably ever be able to fathom) over something that few would even kill THEMSELVES over.

Uniju said:
People don't die of depression, they die of not taking care of themselves because they don't give a shit anymore.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_depressive_disorder

Have a good read before making conclusions about the death of my grandfather.

I like how you continue the subject of your oh-so-on-topic grandfather, but not the subject of the game. Perhaps you know you've been beat?

Marcelagus said:
My grandfather died of clinical depression shortly after my grandmother died.
Note the lack of him destroying the universe.

I liked the game, and none of you have given me a reason to think otherwise.

o_0

What is the matter with you?

IMO, King Croacus was the lamest boss in the history of Mario games.

Wow, is it not okay for him to be entitled to his own opinion?

About King Croacus... I think he might as well had been called "Queen" Croacus, since he didn't look even the slightest bit masculine. I don't know WHAT they were thinking when they decided to have him be a male.

Oaktown Mojo said:
PIXLS SUCKED.
OK, I'll admit to making a generalization. Not all of them sucked. Some were innovative, like Carrie and Barry. A lot of the others were just new versions of previous sidekicks. But why was Bobbery OK if Boomer was lame? Didn't we already have Bombette? Well, here's the thing. Bobbery had flair. He had a goddamn personality. He was actually interesting. He had a backstory. Then, there's Boomer's dialogue scene:

[quote author=Boomer]
1. You stay up wonderin' if anyone ever gives presents TO Santa Claus.
2. For some reason, you clean your room before a test.
3. When someone says, "Let's just be friends," you think, "Yeah, whatever."
4. You don't really understand why I'm askin' you all these questions.
5. You think shoppin' online is a wonderful and magical experience.
6. You once put on a shirt inside out but didn't bother reversin' it before goin' out.
7. You wanna be sleepin' when you're awake, but when you're tired, you wanna wake up.
8. You're gettin' real tired of these questions.

a. WHAT THE *bleep*? This is really dumb. Which goes for most of the Pixls, actually. One of Slim's few lines is, "OOOOONNNE! TWOOOOO! THREEEEE! FIIIIIIIVE! FOUUUR! SEVENTEEN!!!! THREE-POINT-ONE-FOUR!!!! ONE MARZILLION!! TEN!!!" Thudley gives you "Girth Points". How interesting and relevant to the plot!

b. That's pretty much the only lines Pixls have.

And then Piccolo is the single lamest excuse for a sidekick ever assembled. And you have to do way too much work to even get him.

[quote author=Mario Wiki]
1. The player must go to Merlee.
2. The player must go to Merluvlee.
3. The player must go to Bestovius.
4. The player must go to Watchitt.
5. The player must go to Merlumina.
6. The player must give the autograph to Watchitt.
7. The player must give the You-Know-What to Bestovius.
8. The player must give the Training Machine to Merluvlee.
9. The player must give the Crystal Ball to Merlee. In exchange for the Crystal Ball, she gives the player a Random House Key.
10. The player must take the key to the first floor of Flopside and look for the locked door near the card shop.
11. The player must use the key to open a door.
12. The player must open the big chest inside to get Piccolo on their team.
[/quote]

I'm sorry, I thought doing all that work meant you got something decent in return, not a pile of feces. He's useful in the Underchomp fight, though.

STUPID ENEMIES.
Know what was so nice about the first two PM games? Not only did they have normal Mario enemies, but they made them even better! All the types of Goombas and Koopas were pretty nice to see. And now, introducing SPM's main enemy!

44._Squiglet_Card.JPG

Looks like a *bleep*ty drawing made by a preschooler to which adults are forced to respond with, "That's great!"

preschool.png

Then again, there are some epic ones, like Muths. The Muth is, IMO, the best thing in the entire game. But that's just me. What do you guys think?
[/quote]

Those are the only ones I can understand/agree with. The graphics for this game sucked, and you can tell they didn't put a lot of effort into them, same goes with enemy and character design. The Pixls themselves were under-characterized to the point were you wonder why they even bothered to give them personalities at all.

Everything else, though, I felt it was complete bullcrap. The overall story for every Paper Mario game, like it or not, was nothing more than a cliche (Paper Mario: Bowser kidnaps Peach; Thousand-Year Door: secret organization wants to take over the world using magical MacGuffins), and this is no different. Where each game shines, though, is in the details of the plot, the characters met and the quirky lines and clever jokes said throughout each game.

And as for the whole sidescrolling thing, cut me a break. Do you like turn-based combat so much that you're not willing to accept any other style for RPGs? And yeah, Super Paper Mario DOES have some key components from RPGs, such as leveling up and the use of items and power-ups.

That said, I think you still missed certain other points about the game that weren't that good, like the main hub area being too big to navigate around easily. Seriously, I remember spending almost 5 minutes getting from one place to another, especially when it game from going from Flipside to Flopside, and vice versa. And then there's the item limit. It went back to just 10 items. Why didn't this game have the Strange Sack as well?

But then again, those are just nit-picks. Super Paper Mario is one of my favorite games for the Wii, even with its flaws.

Rogueport is a cool place, the town of thieves... Sounds romantic, and adventurous, at the same time! Plus, a freaking Pianta Syndicate!

Back