Will Super Mario Galaxy 2 exceed Super Mario Galaxy?

What do you think?

• SMG2 will be better than SMG

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • SMG2 will be worse than SMG

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • They will be equally great

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

Garlic Man

Name-change free since 2018
In this thread, give your opinion about if you think SMG2 will be better than/worse than SMG.

What new things do you want in 2?
What did you not like about 1?
What could be improved? What do you want to reappear?

After the game is released, compare the two games and decide which one you like more.

Well let's just look at the facts;
*Super Mario 64 was the first mainstream 3D Mario game. It was great. The only appearance of Yoshi was minor.
*Super Mario Sunshine was the second mainstream 3D Mario game. It was OK. You could ride Yoshi.
*Super Mario Galaxy was the third mainstream 3D Mario game. It was great. The only appearance of Yoshi was minor.
*Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be the fourth mainstream 3D Mario game. You will be able to ride Yoshi.

I doubt i will really surpass the first one, especially since this game is apparently going to be even lighter on story Still, I'm willing to bet that this game will be equally as good as the last one.

Judging by the trailer and screenshots, yes, it looks like it will be better than the original.

And having less of a story will only make it better. Mario games don't need a plot.

Smashgoom202 said:
I doubt i will really surpass the first one, especially since this game is apparently going to be even lighter on story Still, I'm willing to bet that this game will be equally as good as the last one.

As KB said, less plot can be good. Remember Melee? That thing didn't even have a plot.

Uniju said:
Well let's just look at the facts;
*Super Mario 64 was the first mainstream 3D Mario game. It was great. The only appearance of Yoshi was minor.
*Super Mario Sunshine was the second mainstream 3D Mario game. It was OK. You could ride Yoshi.
*Super Mario Galaxy was the third mainstream 3D Mario game. It was great. The only appearance of Yoshi was minor.
*Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be the fourth mainstream 3D Mario game. You will be able to ride Yoshi.
The difference this time is that Yoshi doesn't randomly die when he runs out of juice.

That is a very good point, he probably doesn't die in water either.

He only died when he touched deep water. They did that because they couldn't figure out a way for Mario to swim while riding Yoshi.

That isn't very nice...

Anyway, I'm sure it'd be just below the first Super Mario Galaxy game.

Really? I still think it'll go above and beyond. But that's just speculation...

I added a poll to the thread.

SMG2 will be better than SMG in terms of gameplay.
SMG2 will be worse than SMG in terms of atmosphere.

DON'T YOU PEOPLE THINK SUPER MARIO GALAXY IS ATMOSPHERIC!?! PARTICULARLY, THE SPACE JUNK GALAXY?!?

Er... I think it's kinda atmospheric, but the use of "atmosphere" like that is kinda uncommon. I didn't understand what you meant right away. :P

I think he's trying to say that the level environments in Super Mario Galaxy 2 are going to be better than the first one.

That's not it at all.

My dictionary said:
Atmosphere ('at-me-,sfir) noun

2. a surrounding influence

4. an intriguing or singular tone, effect, appeal
He's saying the themes and feel of SMG2 won't be as amazing as SMG, from what I can tell. :P

I hope the bosses are a bit more mature. And the soundtrack needs to be less baby-ish. And those bunnies were seriously fruity.

Back