"Nintendo is lazy and you don't care"

wsbm

King Bowser
What do you guys think about what Nintendo has been doing lately? Do you thing they made a mistake introducing the casual crowd? Are they abandoning their previous fans? Are they weighing down the industry as a whole? Was motion control just a gimmick? Did Wii Music suck ass? In terms of sales, even?

Please give me your thoughts.

It's OK.

Let's talk about games that fans want, and yet Nintendo won't make them.

First one I can think of off the top of my head: LUIGI'S MANSION 2. Ever since I got this game, I've always wanted a sequel. I even made a whole new story line for the game when I was six. I'll show it;

All the ghosts are finally gone and to celebrate, Luigi invites all his friends (including the enemies that he did parties with) to the mansion. But, King Boo manages to escape from his portrait. Before he freed the other ghosts, he went into the mansion to spy on everyone. Then, he went in and took one of the Toads. Then he tried puting him in a portrait. It worked. He went back to the other Boos and freed them. While Luigi and friends were partying, King Boo and the other 50 boos went into another part of the mansion, where King Boo told them his plan. And then, King Boo and the other Boos went where everyone was. They went on a rampage, taking people and putting them into portraits. Eggads, Mario, Luigi and 2 Toads were the only people who got out. Fritened, they went to check on the portraits. And they found some empty! Eggads was worried. Luigi was terrified. Mario coulden't believe it. And the 2 Toads ran out scared, only to be captured by Boos. While our 3 survivors was thinking on how to save everyone, King Boo and his Boos put the portraits of each person in each room, and he even doubled the size of the mansion! Later, Eggads gave both Mario and Luigi an upgraded version of the Poltergust 3000, the Poltergust 5000. With their new ghost catching mechanism, they went into the mansion, hoping to save everyone. Once they got inside, not knowing about the dangers that await them. And after they left Egadds by himself, the Boos captured him and released all the other ghosts and even found some more ghosts in a nearby farm, and each one of them are told to protect a portrait. Will the 2 bros be able to save everyone? Will King Boo conquer the Mushroom Kingdom? And what about Bowser? The only way to answer these questions is to play the game.

There are people with the BALLS to call themselves FANS and actually liked Luigi's Mansion?

You just further made my point for me; your opinion. Don't act like you talk for the fans when you're just talking for yourself. I for one would hate another Luigi's Mansion, and I'm sure a lot of "casual gamers" never even played Luigi's Mansion.

AND ON THAT SUBJECT why do people even make the distinction between "hardcore gamers" and "casual gamers"? They don't make a distinction between "hardcore movie watchers" and "casual movie watchers", do they? I know that I don't and I never have. Hopefully in a couple years all the old people who still think video games are some weird niche thing will be dead and the smarter younger generations like my own will rule the internet.

Well they probably would, since Luigi's Mansion sucked.

Reversinator said:
Opinion, pure opinion. You don't know, so don't say anything. Me, I never spoke for all of Nintendo fans, I just spoke on my behalf.
Reversinator said:
Let's talk about games that fans want, and yet Nintendo won't make them.

@Uniju: I liked Luigi's Mansion and think there should be a sequel.

wsbm said:
What do you guys think about what Nintendo has been doing lately? Do you thing they made a mistake introducing the casual crowd? Are they abandoning their previous fans? Are they weighing down the industry as a whole? Was motion control just a gimmick? Did Wii Music suck ass? In terms of sales, even?

Please give me your thoughts.
At first I was upset, but then I realized that it's not a bad thing, getting non-gamers into gaming, since this way, they have new fans to hopefully turn into new Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, etc. fans.

And no, they're not abandoning their older fans. Have you seen New Super Mario Bros. Wii? And look at the future! New Super Mario Galaxy, hints at a new Zelda game, Metroid: Other M, and a fifth generation Pokémon is also in the works!

If anyone's weighing down the industry, it's Xbox 360, what with continuously releasing first-person shooters and games that only appeal to people who were already going to buy the games, rather than trying to reach out for new gamers.

Motion control has potential, but in some games, it does seem like a gimmick and there's not much of a reason to use it other than it being there.

I've never played Wii Music, and I don't really have much interest in it, but I'm still going to say it isn't as bad as Too Human.

Uniju said:
You just further made my point for me; your opinion. Don't act like you talk for the fans when you're just talking for yourself. I for one would hate another Luigi's Mansion, and I'm sure a lot of "casual gamers" never even played Luigi's Mansion.
Wow. Is there anything you DON'T hate? Also, he's not just speaking for himself. I, too, would like to see a Luigi's Mansion sequel come into existence, and I've seen tons of other people who feel the same way.

The problem with appealing to casual gamers is that they're making the games too easy, and as such, the hardcore gamers don't like them.

The hardcore gamers come from an age where video games were hard. They're used to a challenge. When they are deprived of a challenge, they often dislike the game.

Appealing to casuals is making Nintendo more money, yes, but it's alienating the hardcore fans.

Zoroark said:
The problem with appealing to casual gamers is that they're making the games too easy, and as such, the hardcore gamers don't like them.

The hardcore gamers come from an age where video games were hard. They're used to a challenge. When they are deprived of a challenge, they often dislike the game.

Appealing to casuals is making Nintendo more money, yes, but it's alienating the hardcore fans.
That's why they're trying to turn casual gamers into hardcore games with stuff like the Super Guide in New Super Mario Bros. Wii (apparently, it's also going to be in the new The Legend of Zelda game, too). I think this is a brilliant idea in that it helps those how aren't into gaming and are having a hard time with "hardcore" games get better at it. It sounds a lot better than trying to appeal to just one audience or the other.

"No more dumbing down or obtusing up, just the flick of a God-damn switch!" - Game Overthinker

^^^The term "Hardcore Gamer" has been hijacked from what you are describing (old-school players whining about the easyness of modern gaming) by 13-years fratboy that only ever play dumbed down console FPS.

only appeal to people who were already going to buy the games, rather than trying to reach out for new gamers.

What, company try to appeal to an existing demographic? It's like it's some sort of Business.

Glowsquid said:
What, company try to appeal to an existing demographic? It's like it's some sort of Business.
Yeah, and what's the main goal of a business? To make money. And while appealing to a re-existing audience will work for now, you ALSO have to renew interest in newcomers, otherwise, when you're pre-existing fanbase dries up (life gets in the way of buying games, people losing interest, etc.), you'll be left with nothing but a small handful of die-hards who may keep buying, but it won't be nearly enough to cover how much time and money it takes to actually MAKE the damn game!

So you see, Nintendo's making the right movie, buy getting new people into gaming and by helping them get into the games we want.

You know, the problem with most of those "fans want" type of discussions is that those mostly focus on MARIO-ZELDA-METROID.

Nintendo listened to them and, guess what? More freaking Mario and Metroid (still no trace of a unique Wii Zelda game bu it will come eventually).

Where are my F-Zero games for Wii and DS? And my Wii Starfox game? Why don´t they advertise Starfy games a little more? (only ONE has come outside of Japan, and nobody knows about it). Speaking of which, why don´t they advertise the Custom Robo games too? Only the DS one has reached Europe, and again, no one Knows about it. And where is my Wii Kirby platformer? Where is my Pikmin 3? And my new Wave Race? (They even got the balls to say that they won´t be focusing on this series... as if this series was as overused as to have to let it rest, lol).

There are many things left to do other than making more Mario and more Metroid. As much as I like those series, I think we got enough with Mario Galaxy, New Mario Bros Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Party 8, Mario Super Sluggers, Mario Strikers Charged, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Hunters, Metroid Pinball, New Super Mario Bros DS, Mario Slam Basketball, Yoshi´s Island DS, Super Princess Peach, Metroid Trilogy, Metroid Other M...

Nintendo, please, I like Mario and Metroid, but we got enough. Revive your other series, please.

Don't forget that Donkey Kong seems to be dead at the moment.

Thankfully they acknowledged Punch-Out, but that's not enough judging the number of neglected series.

I really want a Kirby game for the Wii actually, and more decent RPGS.

Also; I happened to like Luigi's mansion too :P

Back