The Official "I'm going away/coming back!" Thread

If you feel insulted that people call you a bad Christian, think how other people feel when you say they're bad humans for being gay.

Charley Dietz said:
I'm going to leave the forums for a few days to clear my mind from everything going on in the thread where I'm being called a "bad Christian," which is honestly insulting. I'll still hang around chat, so if you need me contact me on there or Original Forum, if you're on there.

Seeya in a few days.
I'm sorry I insulted you, just like how I'm sure you're sorry that you insulted me

Take a few days off, hopefully when you come back, we can forget about this whole thing, but you just need to realise how hurtful you were being in there. You've probably offended a lot of people, including me.

My last post on Mario Boards was on February 14, 2015. About a month earlier I had participated in a thread debating homosexuality and religion.

Over a year later and I come back. There's some shocking, awful news that I don't really know how to process yet.

There's also a heated debate about homosexuality and religion.

At least some things never change.

Amphituber said:
My last post on Mario Boards was on February 14, 2015. About a month earlier I had participated in a thread debating homosexuality and religion.

Over a year later and I come back. There's some shocking, awful news that I don't really know how to process yet.

Welcome back to the Mario Boards, where talk about homosexuality, transsexualism, counting games, and so much more!

Billy The Kitten said:
well last time i posted one persons theme was chiaki nanami

and now that im back another persons theme is chiaki nanami
same guy probably

pi is the only person who's ever used that theme

i think

Glitchy said:
General Neptune said:
Billy The Kitten said:
well last time i posted one persons theme was chiaki nanami

and now that im back another persons theme is chiaki nanami
same guy probably

pi is the only person who's ever used that theme

i think

didn't fanta have it for a while?

oh god did i think fanta was pi for a while?

Time Turner said:
Amphituber said:

Welcome back to the Mario Boards, where talk about homosexuality, transsexualism, counting games, and so much more!.
Don't forget taco commercials!

Charley Dietz said:
I'm going to leave the forums for a few days to clear my mind from everything going on in the thread where I'm being called a "bad Christian," which is honestly insulting. I'll still hang around chat, so if you need me contact me on there or Original Forum, if you're on there.

Seeya in a few days.

I'm going to be honest: After reading the things you've been spouting in that other thread just now, I am not particularly saddened to see you leave. Your attitude is insulting and personally disgusts me as a believer in the love and compassion of Jesus Christ.

I hope you will use this break to reflect on your choices and adjust your attitude. Homosexuality is not a choice, but hatred is. If you cannot let go of your hatred, please do not come back.

Dr. Alphys said:
Charley Dietz said:

Seeya in a few days.

I'm going to be honest: After reading the things you've been spouting in that other thread just now, I am not particularly saddened to see you leave. Your attitude is insulting and personally disgusts me as a believer in the love and compassion of Jesus Christ.

I hope you will use this break to reflect on your choices and adjust your attitude. Homosexuality is not a choice, but hatred is. If you cannot let go of your hatred, please do not come back.
Frankly, I don't expect his opinions to change like that. They seem to be deep-rooted, and if that's what he chooses to believe, I can't stop him. With that said, the most that I want him to gain from this is simply a tolerance for others; you have your opinion, I have mine, others have theirs, and even if we disagree, we can coexist in harmony.

I'm sorry, but "deep-rooted"? The guy is 14, he's in the middle of puberty. That's pretty much the time when people change the most.

And no, being hated and called "sinner" for something that is beyond my and others' control is not something I have to tolerate, or co-exist with. Or at least not without making my distaste for that hatred known.

I just want Roy to be more educated in science and how it works

Going to cover a lot of the recent departures/returns in this post.

Paper Iggy Koopa said:
See ya, PIK. Hopefully things improve in your life.

Lapis Lazuli said:
returning
Midna said:
returning
Amphituber said:
returning
Roger Smith said:
returning
Welcome back!

Billy The Kitten said:
returning maybe
Welcome back! I'm not entirely sure if we were ever active around the same time or you were just active in my early user days.

Kirstie Maldonado said:
Kirstie Maldonado said:
returning
bye packy hi packy :yoshi:

Charley Dietz said:
I'm not going to pry into the whole religion thing but see you in a few days when you're cooled off, Roy.

Dr. Alphys said:
I'm sorry, but "deep-rooted"? The guy is 14, he's in the middle of puberty. That's pretty much the time when people change the most.
I mean, I only know him from posts made entirely through text and smilies, but considering his upbringing, it really isn't something you can shake off like it's nothing. As something who was brought up a certain way as a little kid and didn't escape it until I was ~16 (when I started getting ready for college and my driver's license), I can personally attest to that. Beyond that, who'd you think he'll stick with, his parents or some people on an online forum?

Dr. Alphys said:
And no, being hated and called "sinner" for something that is beyond my and others' control is not something I have to tolerate, or co-exist with. Or at least not without making my distaste for that hatred known.
Fair enough, that's your opinion, and I have mine. My opinion is probably too idealistic, but here's the way I see it: if there's a crowd of random people talking about the latest video game or movie or whatever, nobody's going to care what their religious beliefs are or what their favourite food is or who they'd rather vote for in an election. Roy isn't radiating hateful beams that physically harm people, and if I'm going to be honest, he's hardly the first person that I strongly and passionately disagreed with on a topic, but that's never stopped me from talking to and being friends with those other people. I can't see why he needs to be permanently stigmatized for it.

So, let me ask you a question:

Are you actually a part of the group that he is demonizing? Do you have to live with ever-recurring negative fallout and hateful behavior tossed your way for something that you have no control over, and have never used to hurt anybody? Do you live in a world that treats your kind as sub-human, and that you share with people who will cut off all ties with you, or, in worse cases, threaten you with physical harm, if you reveal what you are?

You probably have a way easier time forgiving this kind of behavior because it does not really affect you. I don't blame you for that, and I'm happy for you that you are able to avoid it. But for those who have to live with this sort of hatred on a day to day basis, it is a hell of a lot more personal and real.

I am just one person. I may be unable to fight back against everyone who spreads these beliefs at once. But if I encounter homophobia targeted at myself or those I consider close to me, I will make my discontent known. That is my right, and I will use it whether if it's on a forum about video games or elsewhere.

Billy The Kitten said:
Well-Balanced Breakfast said:
Welcome back! I'm not entirely sure if we were ever active around the same time or you were just active in my early user days.
I was most active around this time last year! I'm not sure of Toy Chica/Yasuke Matsuda is familiar to you but that was me
Ah, gotcha. Didn't really remember those though since it was about a year ago it's understandable that I forgot about it.

I think I was being kinda irrational when I said I would go cold, because I was browsing around as a guest earlier today. Anyway, I love this community and want to continue to be a part of it, but let's face it. If I start arguing every time someone mentions my religion, I won't be able to stay here. Sure I have my flaws and I'm not exactly the model Christian, but when you think about it, that's really not enough to say I'm a "bad" Christian. Other Christians, maybe my views differ from yours, but for all I know we're completely different denominations, and different denominations have different beliefs.

All in all, I'm going to try to avoid getting into fights and arguments over my beliefs. This is so I don't have to do something like this again. I can't stand being away from here for any long-ish period, and like I said, I love this community.

TT and Edo: I'm going to clear this up by saying that I won't be changing my beliefs just because some people don't like it. I've been taught my beliefs all my life, and I'd prefer to keep my lifelong beliefs than change then because of some people in an online community. That might seem sharp, but I'm sorry.

Ninja edit: I was kinda thinking what Blocky was thinking.

On Saturday and Sunday I'll be bowling pretty much all day Saturday and after church Sunday, so don't expect me to be on here then.

Wish me luck at my tournament.

Charley Dietz said:
On Saturday and Sunday I'll be bowling pretty much all day Saturday and after church Sunday, so don't expect me to be on here then.

Wish me luck at my tournament.
good luck at the church tournament

i said this a while ago to a few people but i've decided to finally take an extended break from here to sort some stuff out. how long i'll be gone for remains to be seen, but i will be back, eventually.

See ya later :ashley:

Back