Do You???

• Yes

Votes: 70 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 24 25.5%

• Total voters
Hardships in life, insanity, etc.

I think I'd have to disagree there.

Insanity can be linked with organized religion.

For example, we can say Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was insane, but it was still his religion that told him to blow up shit.

Brick Tamland said:
Herr Shyguy said:
The point of life is to have tons and tons of sex.
Ugh...I really hate this line of thinking. It's part of the reason I'm a feminist.
Herr Shyguy said:
BLT said:
If you are in a relationship with god, tell me what his opinion is on organized religion, the silliest thing on Earth!
Now now, that's uncalled for. Organized religion brings a lot of people peace of mind.
Exactly. The point of organized religion is so that members of one faith can reach out to one another and support each other in times of need. Have you never been inside a church? They are always running donation drives and such for people in need. If the religion was individualized, that wouldn't happen. There are also mission trips funded by the church and staffed by the church that go out to help with disaster relief. Organized religion brings much more good than bad.
BLT said:
Let's see what organized religion also does:

- Start wars
- Commit sex crimes against children
- Incite violence
- Other terrible things

I think not having these things in exchange for somebody's peace of mind is worth the trade.

If you need organized religion to have a peace of mind, you probably need to see a psychotherapist. (Not that that's a bad thing)
BLT said:
I think I'd have to disagree there.

For example, we can say Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was insane, but it was still his religion that told him to blow up *bleep*.
That would be the fault of extremists. Contrary to popular belief, Islam is not evil. In fact, at least 90% of the Muslims on Earth are peaceful people. It's the 10% who are extremists and decide to kill others that give the rest a bad reputation. There will always be evil people out there who find that religion becomes a great tool for evil, just as can be a great tool for good as well. Take Hitler for an example. He incited all of Germany to rise up and purify themselves of the Jews and other peoples in the name of Christianity.

Also, religion doesn't cause all those things. People cause those things to happen. The relationship between religion and those actions is similar to your life span and the age of the universe, it doesn't even register, there are hundreds of other things that causes that.

BLT said:
What or who incites people to do violent things more than religion?
Remember Stalin, the greatest mass-murderer in modern history? The Soviet Union was pretty anti-religious IIRC.

Dr. Javelin said:
Brick Tamland said:
Herr Shyguy said:
The point of life is to have tons and tons of sex.
Ugh...I really hate this line of thinking. It's part of the reason I'm a feminist.
That's not supposed to be chauvinistic, the reason for life is to pass on your genes to the next generation. The easiest way to accomplish that is through sex.

BLT said:
I disagree; there are plenty of insane atheists.

Oh I guess Shyguy already covered that but I was thinking more along the lines of paranoid ones and such.

Unless you want to call aliens an organized religion.

Herr Shyguy said:
BLT said:
Remember Stalin, the greatest mass-murderer in modern history? The Soviet Union was pretty anti-religious IIRC.
Stalin-era Soviet Union can be likened to a religion.

BLT said:
Any large organization can be likened to a religion, that doesn't make it true.

Let's start a religion Shyguy.

BLT, your initial point still seemed to imply state that insanity was directly caused by actual faith/beliefs, which is an understandable accusation (to some degree) but I would hope by now you can see it was too broad of a thing to say.

If you don't have a religion, I think it's weird to say it can cause insanity. In theory, wouldn't it cause NOTHING?

Alfred Kinsey and Jeffrey Dahmer were atheists. (Need I continue from that point?)

Herr Shyguy said:
BLT said:
No. Stalin-era Soviet Union can be likened to a religion because of the propaganda and the cult of personality he developed.

I wouldn't say a large organization like United Nations or the Women's Tennis Association could be likened to a religion.

BLT said:
Herr Shyguy said:
BLT said:
No. Stalin-era Soviet Union can be likened to a religion because of the propaganda and the cult of personality he developed.

I wouldn't say a large organization like United Nations or the Women's Tennis Association could be likened to a religion.
Stalinism had a personality cult, but that's not a true cult. Technically, you could say the revere of Stalin was a cult, but Kim Il-sung is still revered after his death, which is usually the difference between a cult and a religion. North Korea is more like a religion than Stalinism.

Nazism was the most extreme form of fascism. Unlike other forms, it didn't use religion (usually Catholicism just based on demographics) as part of the regime, but intended to make worship of Jesus into worship of the State (of course, being fascism, that also means worship of the Party and the Fuhrer).

Religion brings people peace of mind, and filled a useful void before modern science in explaining the world. Organized religion is even more useful because it can build the backbone of a community, increase togetherness, and yes, be exploited by elites and extremists to meet their goals.

War is not murder as long as there is a reason for it. World War I was murder because it didn't accomplish anything except death. World War II was not murder because we had to fight back against Hitler.

So find an instance where people killed without God's orders and weren't punished.

BLT said:
Mutsuki Minase said:
I love that explanation.
Did you love it when he said that religion filled the void of modern science?
Mason said:
*before modern science in explaining the world

Yes.
That doesn't mean I like that.

BLT said:
Nationalism, racism, etc...
Religion is just a tool in the oppressor's shed. But it's more than just that.

As for World War I being murder... it was senseless slaughter, don't make it worse by telling everyone drafted that they were forced to commit murder too! The Holocaust was murder. The Eastern front was murder when there was no quarter for POWs.

The Bible was not written all at once, so of course it's inconsistent. In the Old Testament God is one scary mofo, in the New Testament he mellows out.

And do you even know who are you talking about, are you ignoring what Sodom and Goliath did? Goliath and Sodom both cursed at God (one of the commandments), had sexual immoralities (sex with animals, sex with kids, sex with parents, sex with neighbors, sex with priest and priestess, and even sex with the same gender), and both practice barbaric and pagan rituals and practices. Also, even if they commit these things, God is gracious enough to give the WAY over too many times, enough warnings of what consequences will/may happen if they continue, one of them being death; according to the honor system, a sin like that is punishable by death, but God is willing to give warnings, second chances, etc. to anyone.

Plumber said:
The Bible was not written all at once, so of course it's inconsistent. In the Old Testament God is one scary mofo, in the New Testament he mellows out.
agreed

Mutsuki Minase said:
...even sex with the same gender
Speaking of that...how can homosexuality still exist? I mean, if someone can't pass on their homo genes, then how could anyone possibly be born gay/lesbian? Logic says it's their choice, and I really don't know why anyone would choose to.

Dr. Javelin said:
War is not murder as long as there is a reason for it. World War I was murder because it didn't accomplish anything except death. World War II was not murder because we had to fight back against Hitler.

So find an instance where people killed without God's orders and weren't punished.
In the Bible, god orders people to die.

@Zero777: Also same-sex marriage is OK, are you a bigot or something?

Who? And you're also referring to the Old Testament, where God had to be more harsh because humanity was less civilized. These days he can afford to be more merciful.

Back