Do you beleive in Jesus?

Do You???

• Yes

Votes: 70 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 24 25.5%

• Total voters
Yeah, I believe in Jesus. I'm a Catholic. And I think this should be re-named to Do you believe in God because everyone seems to be arguing about that

I must say that is seems weird that a supposed child prodigy (a 10 year old that takes university courses) believes in a Pokemon religion. Doesn't seem too add up....

Admittley I was raised under Catholic religion, but I havent go to church since last Easter. Thats a whole year. I do go to a Catholic school. Actually, I was in chruch last Thursday-its school policy that during Lent we go to church. So I havent been to church of my own free will since last Easter.

Well, I definitely don't believe in the bible because most of it is just stupid to me (Making The Sea split in Half? Bullshit), So no reason to believe in Jesus. This is from a Christian's point of view.

That was pretty offensive even though you think that for yourself.

You know they wrote it down like that like how they see it. Example: If a person lives in a place where it NEVER rains and then they go to a rainforest, they will be describing it in a way that people won't believe.

The sea split in half now is possible. The most accepted theory on this is that a tsunami was coming and caused water recession and there was a rise in the sea floor witch was visible when the water went down.

Forgot to post in this.

My answer is yes.

Why do you believe in Jesus if there are no historical records documenting Jesus's lifetime during the time he was alive? :-\

Herr Shyguy said:
The Q Document. Bam. While it is admittedly a theoretical document, there is strong evidence of a lost book just all about Jesus.
You know, that would make sense if the Gospels didn't conflict with each other.

More likely the source was oral history passed down from generation to generation.

BLT said:
You know, that would make sense if the Gospels didn't conflict with each other.
The Article said:
The relationship among the three synoptic gospels goes beyond mere similarity in viewpoint. The gospels often recount the same stories, usually in the same order, sometimes using the same words. Scholars note that the similarities between Mark, Matthew, and Luke are too great to be accounted for by mere coincidence.

BLT said:
More likely the source was oral history passed down from generation to generation.
The Article said:
If the two-source hypothesis is correct, then Q would probably have been a written document. If Q were merely a shared oral tradition, it could not account for the nearly identical word-for-word similarities between Matthew and Luke when quoting Q material.

Gonna be honest with you here, I haven't read that shit myself. Still, Wikipedia's got my back here.

BLT said:
Why do you believe in Jesus if there are no historical records documenting Jesus's lifetime during the time he was alive? :-\

That's actually pretty easily answered. "Believing" in something means having faith that something is true even if it cannot be proven with a hundred percent certainty.

That's why people believe in Jesus. If his existence was actually confirmed by accurate sources, the question wouldn't be "Do you believe in Jesus?", but rather "Do you know about Jesus?".

As for an actual reason, there is none. Believing in something is a matter of heart and often more or less irrational.

Edit:
As for an actual actual reason, it probably has to do with the fear of death, something many people suffer from. Usually, death means the end. By believing in christianity, people convince themselves that after dying, they will be led into a realm where everything is better, peace is everlasting, etc. That's somewhat of a less bleak prospect and makes people able to live more relaxed lives.

gallowsCalibrator said:
BLT said:

That's actually pretty easily answered. "Believing" in something means having faith that something is true even if it cannot be proven with a hundred percent certainty.

That's why people believe in Jesus. If his existence was actually confirmed by accurate sources, the question wouldn't be "Do you believe in Jesus?", but rather "Do you know about Jesus?".

As for an actual reason, there is none. Believing in something is a matter of heart and often more or less irrational.

Edit:
As for an actual actual reason, it probably has to do with the fear of death, something many people suffer from. Usually, death means the end. By believing in christianity, people convince themselves that after dying, they will be led into a realm where everything is better, peace is everlasting, etc. That's somewhat of a less bleak prospect and makes people able to live more relaxed lives.

What you said below is pretty insightful. A lot of people probably use religion as comfort for those sort of things.

I read somewhere about Pliny the Elder, the Greek historian, writing down some of the events in the Bible such as the eclipse during the crucifixion, and there are also Roman historical records about the crucifixion.

I don't know where we are now but hey, I've read some of the gospels that supposedly conflict. (Like Luke and Matthew?)

Totally, totally seems like a matter of semantics. So far I haven't seen anything big enough to be considered a conflict. You also have to realize that those gospels were supposedly personal accounts.

Back