What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

I'm 40 minutes into Little Monsters (1989, not Hulu) and oh god it's like Cat in the Hat nightmare edition. Or Cat in the Hat meets Monsters Inc. but Sully's off his rocker on drugs.

Mulan (original animated version)

I have a very faint memory of watching part of this film when I was very young (long before the live action version existed) and then I heard all this talk about the live action not being as good so I decided to finally get round to fully watching this version. It might be nostalgia for the other Disney movies talking, but I'd say this was one of the weaker Disney films I've seen imo. But still a good film in its own right.

The Mario movie

this movie is pretty much enjoyable from how bad it is and tbh, the story has nothing to do with the games. And don't let me start talking about the goombas, or else you're gonna turn into one!

Shrek 2

I saw Shrek 1 & 2 when I was very young, and I returned to Shrek 1 for the first time in many years last year, I wanted to return to Shrek 2 at some point and I recently found out Shrek 2 was put on Netflix UK so I watched that this evening. I'd say it was really good, much better than the first film which was in itself a pretty decent movie. Lots of funny moments and the songs were a throwback to my childhood lmao. Plot was also decent, most of it I didn't remember so that was cool since it was like I was watching it for the first time

Shrek 2

I saw Shrek 1 & 2 when I was very young, and I returned to Shrek 1 for the first time in many years last year, I wanted to return to Shrek 2 at some point and I recently found out Shrek 2 was put on Netflix UK so I watched that this evening. I'd say it was really good, much better than the first film which was in itself a pretty decent movie. Lots of funny moments and the songs were a throwback to my childhood lmao. Plot was also decent, most of it I didn't remember so that was cool since it was like I was watching it for the first time
The first two Shreks were always the best ones

Godzilla vs Kong (2021), Mortal Kombat (2022), Last Holiday, and Just Wright.

The LEGO Batman Movie

Brilliant. LEGO Batman 1 on the DS and Wii was a childhood favourite and LEGO Batman 3 for 3DS and X360 has been incredible in the last year. In addition, I enjoyed both of the LEGO movies with 1 being a childhood favourite and 2 I saw only recently (specifically on my 18th birthday and I only rented it so I haven't been able to rewatch it since but I would definitely like to someday). So putting the two together is a cool concept alone. But this surpassed my expectations easily because the plot just kept getting more interesting and cool and had a lot of cool characters in it and some good songs too. So yeah I had an awesome 1h45m this afternoon

(Edit: On the other hand I'm really not a fan of this version of Batgirl despite liking her in DCSHG. I wasn't a fan of her personality or
the fact she only ever becomes batgirl at the end. Also I didn't really like that Batman had a secret crush on her that never went anywhere.

The Joker also could have been better, I feel that he's better in LEGO Batman 3 and LEGO Dimensions because he's crazier and eviller (whilst still being child friendly) but still has the thing where he enjoys the competition against Batman)

Last edited:
i did not expect The Mitchells vs the Machines to be as good as it is but color me surprised sony dug the emoji movie deeper into its deep grave with this. its no spiderverse, but i loved it

Cars 2
This movie was just okay. Not as bad as some people say, and some of the spy parts are legitimately fun, but it's not as good as the first movie and a few jokes that are bad are really painful, although the comedy is mostly average otherwise. This is probably my second-to-least favorite Pixar movie behind Good Dinosaur.

The Accountant
Ben Affleck did a great job acting as he legitimately sounds on the spectrum in the movie, it deals with that part tastefully and really well but everything else was just overly complicated and eh.

Raya and the Last Dragon
This movie would otherwise be good as there are some likable side characters here and good animation, but the bad execution of its moral (every time Raya doesn't trust someone she's completely right) and awful ending really bring it down.

Black Widow
This movie is a bit overhated. Sure, some of the parts feel forced occasionally but I still liked it mainly because of Natasha's chemistry with her "family", which really brings it up to the fairly good level. Not the best MCU movie but it's at least not the worst.

Monsters vs. Aliens

Very fun, very nostalgic movie, I haven't seen it in like a decade but I am glad I decided to put the DVD in when I found it lying around the house, this was such a childhood favourite.

Arthur Christmas

Great animated movie with an interesting take on the traditional story of Santa delivering all those presents, also pretty heartwarming. Definitely see this!

Movies I've seen in theaters in 2021:

• A Quiet Place/A Quiet Place Part II Double Feature (w/ mom)
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Free Guy
  • PAW Patrol: The Movie
  • RiffTrax Live: Hobgoblins
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  • The Addams Family 2
  • Ron's Gone Wrong
  • RiffTrax Live: Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes (w/ mom)
  • Eternals
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Ghostbusters: Afterlife
  • Encanto
  • West Side Story (w/ mom)
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home (w/ mom)
  • Sing 2

• A Quiet Place/A Quiet Place Part II Double Feature (w/ mom)
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Free Guy
  • PAW Patrol: The Movie
  • RiffTrax Live: Hobgoblins
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  • The Addams Family 2
  • Ron's Gone Wrong
  • RiffTrax Live: Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes (w/ mom)
  • Eternals
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Ghostbusters: Afterlife
  • Encanto
  • West Side Story (w/ mom)
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home (w/ mom)
  • Sing 2
Would you recommend any?

Pokemon the Movie 3: Spell of the Unown

It's the first time I've watched this movie since I was little. I still have it on VHS, but I decided to stream it on Pokemon TV while it was available during last month and the first week of this month. I really wanted to see it again after the Pokemon Masters Mafia ended, since I used Molly as my character in that. I still like it as much as I did as a kid, so I'm glad I watched this when I could!

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017)

Saw this cause it's my birthday and I wanted to see something special I had been saving this for after I finished season 7 (I'm currently in the early stages of season 7) but it thankfully didn't contain any spoilers / confusion as long as you've finished season 3.

Good music and some cool characters but I kinda feel the plot and writing weren't the best I've seen and the animation style I felt would've been better as just the usual FIM style. Still very good movie though

South Park: Bigger, Longer, And Uncut / South Park: The Movie (1999)

The Matrix (1999)

My first time seeing it, IT'S SO GOOD!
I felt strongly but wasn't sure so I just had to look it up..
And the answer to my question is YES:
Switch is trans.
So cool! I'm really happy to see the protagonists had normal people socializing when not on missions. Some like Neo and honestly Morpheus were totally geeky.

Spicy take: Ironically, the A.I. were treating their human farm more ethically than some rich ass humans treat their livestock factory farms (i.e. chickens).

Sugary take: Neo looking up at the ceiling and in a very serious expression says "There is no spoon."
Should be a meme.

Everything Everywhere All at Once.
My gosh I cannot express how flipping awesome this movie is without major spoilers!
But I'll try spoiler free 😊
It's like The Matrix meets David Lynch. A scifi psychological thriller,
With lesbian representation!
And the dad is super cute I am crushing.
It also deals with mental illness in a really good way.
This is all I can say, except, do watch it!

Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers

This movie is an absolute trip and I like it.
Cartoons living amongst us as fellow people? Hell yeah!
Disney using other big wig companies characters without their permission? Ok sure why not! If it's for the quality of the movie.
It's a crossover palooza and I love that.

One thing to know going into this, is even though it's rated PG, it was definitely not really made for kids. It has a lot of mature themes that are shown in a way to go over kids heads, but wow!
This movie was made for the people who grew up with the classic cartoon many decades ago.
Stinky Cheese is a drug for cartoons that operates just like cocaine. The drug lord is also abducting cartoons and forcing them to play in bad knock offs of themselves.

There's also Ugly Sonic but you probably already knew that!

Back