What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

Ness said:
did you have some id
Supposedly, yes.

According to my friends who all got through prior to my arrival, apparently you could use your Oyster card (bus pass) or passport: I had the former, but I didn't want to take the latter with me, being naturally opposed to the idea (more so as I thought a picture of it was on my phone).

When I got there the person told me "there's really just your passport" and made an offensive presumption regarding my appearance that's probably better staying forgotten. I've never used an Oyster card as ID before so him omitting it made me think it wasn't an option, and attempted to persuade him with my collection of revision guides you'd only need in school when you're 14-16, statistically speaking a 2/3 chance that I was of age but he literally was not having any of it and told me he "needs reliably legal evidence of my age", aka my passport.

I don't know why he wanted to cheese me, but he really did.

E: In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I could've just purchased a different movie ticket and still entered the screening for Deadpool, because they have no security outside each room once you pass the initial ticket person

will you come back another time or something

Myrmidon NSY said:
will you come back another time or something
Unlikely unless I find different people who'd want to go, I probably wouldn't go out and watch a movie unless I was invited to go with other people.

i remember when i went to see chappie with the dudes and the guy there was like "please tell me you're all 17" and we just all nodded our heads and smiled

It was 2 weeks ago, but I watched The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.

It was really good, too long for my taste though, being 2h 45m long. Still a nice surprise for me to find it.

anomalisa is without a doubt the better movie but unfortunately the academy doesn't know that non-disney movies exist

Nabber said:
anomalisa is without a doubt the better movie but unfortunately the academy doesn't know that non-disney movies exist

at least they forgot it every year except for 2003

2003 was finding nemo

i mean, a few non-disney movies have won, but they were still all pretty mainstream movies

i mean i thought it was good, im not exactly seeing it as the new disney masterpiece everyone's saying it is but i enjoyed it

i still think there are much better animated movies though

Dark Shadows
Was alright, but from what I remembered of the trailers, I was expecting it to be way way better.

Ratatouille
One of Pixar's best films. I love this one to bits, and they actually get a lot of the chef and food stuff right.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 - Overall, pretty good movie. The first one of the trilogy forced four-parter is still my fave, but the ending twists were good:

With the Captial citizens getting victimized (war hurts everyone), Prim dying for no reason (that's how life goes), while Katniss burns on the ground (one last girl on fire moment), and then shooting Coin before her reign of terror could begin, especially since her shooting Snow while he just stood there, despite all he did, would have seemed too much like killing a chained bear for her imo (plus, it was like when she shot the pig apple, and I'm a sucker for bookends). Then the babies ever after epilogue ruined it for me, tho, since her original "I don't want kids because the world sucks" stance was refreshing and relatable, and Finnick already got his wife knocked up before dying, so ugh, they should have just left her and Peeta at "they lived damaged-yet-mutually-supportive-and-contentedly ever after".

I thought that having a letter from Plutarch being read to Katniss by Haymitch was a nice, respectful way to finish the movie after Philip Seymour Hoffman died, rather than faking his presence in the scene with CGIs and body/voice doubles or whatever.

yeah the epilogue sucks but I really loved everything else

a lot of complaints for this movie seem to be "it's not actiony enough" which kinda misses the point

tbh seeing as ive read the book before watching the movie, its actually probably my favorite book -> movie adaption at least out of all of the series.

out of the books the first one was the best. really though i didnt really like the books compared to the movies lol

I've only read the first book, and the movie definitely did a great job converting that one: it was really useful seeing what Snow and the others were up to rather than being forced to only follow Katniss, and things like combining her friend with Prim for the pin stuff, and other plot streamlining was well done. From what I've read, they do a similar good job trimming the fat to make Mockingjay a tighter story, like making Effie an important character, combining/eliminating other side-characters, etc. Unlike most 2-parters, it's hard to really pick out things they should have cut from part 2 to make it a one-parter, aside from the epilogue and the opening (if it were one movie, no need to ease back into things), although there's some stuff from part 1 that could have been left out or sped up.

my thoughts exactly, other than that i do however consider mockingjay part 1 to be a really boring movie because its based on the arguably dumber part of the book.

Back