What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

Seven Samurai

Iron Man 3
Even as someone who'd never watched an Iron Man film, I was disappointed.

Now You See Me
I wouldn't say it gripped me, but I wouldn't say I became disinterested during it.

Now You See Me 2

The humour was charming, but watching the tricks felt like I was being treated like a toddler.

The Jungle Book (1967)

Yeah, no offense but how do you expect anything from an DreamWorks animated film starring Justin Timberlake? The last one he was in was the worst Shrek film.

Or was Trolls just so bad it didn't even meet your low expectations?

Nabber said:
To be honest I don't know, but I saw it get 75% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a couple of people said it was good.

Don't Breathe

It didn't run out of ideas, but the end started getting quite far-fetched.

Sing

I actually really disliked this movie.

Passengers

at least Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence had good chemistry?

The premise itself raises more questions than it answers. What is Homestead II? Why would they send over 5,000 people into space for 120 years without doing some safety tests or at least a plan in case of malfunctions? "But hurr dee durr, who needs safety? Our machines never fail! Oops, the whole aircraft malfunctioned and over 5,000 people are going to die!" We never even see the Avalon getting built, who built it, or any information about Homestead besides wanting to send people to space.

So everyone is inside these hibernation pods which is somehow keeping them alive and young for 120 years (basically futuristic space pickle jars for humans). Chris Pratt gets out of his pickle jar too early. 90 years too early! Oops! He goes insane with loneliness until he sees Katniss sleeping in her pickle jar. He decides to be a total creep and deprive her of her new life on the new planet because he's just that horny. Pratt, of course never tells her what he did because that would mean he wouldn't get to bone her. Katniss slowly falls in love with him, blissfully unaware of her true predicament. Take a wild guess what happens! That's right, she finds out and gets quite understandably pissed. Pratt tries to win her back to no avail because she's not a fucking idiot.

Pretty much nothing happens after that but then the ship just kinda goes fucking bananas and Laurence Fishburne the Chief Deck Officer wakes up. The three find out this ship is just barely working properly with mere minutes to fix it. Then Fishburne dies because he had every single disease.

Turns out a tiny little space rock broke through the hull two years ago when Pratt's pickle jar malfunctioned (apparently Pratt, Katniss, and Officer Fishburne woke up one year apart, I got no sense of time passing from this film). The reactor is about to blow when Pratt decides to open the vent hatch from the outside of the ship, sacrificing himself. Katniss says no, but Pratt insists. But the hatch won't stay open, so Pratt decides to hold it open while the reactor vents, sacrificing himself. Katniss says no, but Pratt insists. He somehow survives the intense heat thanks to a door from the ship he brought with him. The blast, however, breaks Pratt's tether and he flies away. Katniss goes to save him, but her tether is too short, but then she grabs his tether.

Katniss takes Pratt to the Hospital Machine, who tells her Pratt died. But Katniss presses the Resuscitate button and Pratt's alive again. They kiss because of course they do.

And then Pratt discovers, after two whole years, that the Hospital Machine doubles as a pickle jar, but it's only one. He lets Katniss use it, sacrificing his life with her. But Katniss stays because apparently I was wrong about her not being an idiot. "yeah I could be happy and live my life that I have a chance to get back, but I'll stay with my creepy kidnapper who essentially murdered me [she herself made that comparison]. Stockholm Syndrome FTW".

And then it cuts to the others waking up only to discover Pratniss put a bunch of plants and animals on the ship. Where they got them I don't know, but I stopped asking questions a while ago.

So yeah, this movie was not good, and I didn't like it. I'd like to thank my sister for not wanting to see Rogue One.

Nabber said:
you also sound very surprised

i don't know what you were expecting
I wasn't expecting it to be great, but I certainly wasn't expecting the plot to be as much of an unfocused mess as it was, considering its decent Rotten Tomatoes rating.

people put way too much emphasis on rotten tomatoes

especially since critics tend to go easy on kids movies

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

It's unlike most other movies based on books in that you need to read the book to understand 42% half of what's going on in the story, but overall I liked it a lot.

Back