Scribble Labs - The Pre-Finale

My name is Goombuigi, my color is Luigi Green (#009605), and my household object is a vacuum cleaner.

Last edited:
travellers from other realms have contacted me. i am holding one slot for someone who cant log in to marioboards rn
hi that's me.

My name is Lulu, and I'd like this cute pink color, please. #FF69FF
As for my household object, I'll take a Garbage Can

forgot to name my household item, mine is sony psp

Can I sign up please? Just putting in a quick post now, I'll add some more specifics later but I'd like to use the highlighter yellow (#E5FF00) again please. Can my object be a sewing machine?

Last edited:
1709490582719.png

ok.... thanks....

i'm adding a new option suggested to me and resetting the votes

how would you feel about

"Replace '2 Colours' round with 'Use your colour and your opponent's colour' round, AND
add bonus 'Scribble with your opponent's colour' round"

Last edited:
This color variety lacks warmth, I feel.

Hearts, #FF004F, a color known as Folly. But you may call me...a Roomba, or some such.

thank you voters; i am going to go ahead and replace the 2-color round with a shared-color round (you use your color and your opponents color), and add a bonus (optional) color-swap round at the end. in general the votes seem to indicate a preference for including the shared-color round and for replacing the 2-color round with something else, so hopefully this will be satisfactory

rules will be updated soon! i'm also going to close sign ups tonight so ltq and i can get to work on setting everything up

One thousand and two years ago...

ed5Uu27.png

In the head office of Fort Neverset, a King is forced to reckon with his monthly duties.

Admin work in the Kingdom of Scribbles is arduous, expensive, and, worst of all, boring. Sometimes he wishes a big God of Money would burst out of his filing cabinet and challenge him and his subjects to a world-changing fight.

Until that happens, his Sceptre of Scribbling has been permanently retooled into an office pen.

w9Meodp.png

SIGH

Help is needed, from his four Kingsbournes - the royal conjurations he created to assist with his chores.

Though they live independent lives, they theoretically should drop everything when asked to help out.

He picks up his divine phone.

Ring, ring...

xcD4JZ9.png

HELLO BOYS CAN YOU HELP YOUR OLD MAN OUT WITH THE ECONOMY
no i m gaming :)

OK AS LONG AS YOURE STAYING HYDRATED HAHA GAME ON MY CHILDREN

Teenagers, right? Absolutely useless...

In all honesty, the King is getting pretty sick of these guys. He thinks it's time to go shopping for new helpers.

Deep in the reaches of his royal archives, the King retrieves an old book. One that helped him in the past. One that will certainly help him now.
Making a Kingsbourne is a simple process. He just needs the right candidate. Or the right 26.

0Qmw2fZ.png

AHH THE ANNUAL SCRIMBLO CATALOGUE. WHAT LITTLE THINGIES SHOULD I ORDER IN THIS TIME...

9M7jg6O.png
UJ7GITH.png
OcMoeJN.png
8M0scBB.png
FUGq6Au.png
ESlJgp5.png
ifqtHkG.png
5L9iyGh.png
1710884290906.png
AUSyZVH.png
iAONquj.png
RgefnYE.png
6NxxmLn.png
lHZtNHV.png
RjZ6NFg.png
1gKcnQg.png
9rOWD8A.png
9MbL2VH.png
BByx0Kv.png
GhKxHAQ.png
4pDw2Ij.png
P1hj0mg.png
oAPDzIJ.png
hV2AO0y.png
urEfWgS.png
Nw0Z9dT.png

Last edited:
One next-day delivery later...

1710779145530.png

1710780182848.png

OK HELLO NEW ONES THANK YOU FOR NOT ESCAPING OR CAUSING ANY RIOTS ET CETERA

YOUR PURPOSE IS TO STUDY THE WAYS OF YOUR KING AND LEARN TO BECOME LOYAL AND ROYAL ASSISTANTS

YOU WILL BE HAPPY AND HEALTHY IN THIS NEW HOME LOOK I HAVE YOUR FAVOURITE THINGS

1710699191715.png

LEGS AND PENCILS AND LEARNING HUZZAH

I WILL BE BACK IN ABOUT
4 HOURS CAN YOU ALL STUDY THOSE BOOKS ON THE ECONOMY UNTIL THEN I'M REALLY STRUGGLING WITH THAT

1710716149349.png

1710716378486.png

OK BYE

It seems you have been left to your own devices, all alone in the King's Dungeon of Learning. Nothing but you, pencils, and homework, and...

"Wheeee!"

A new voice dribbles out from the corner...

1710781395127.png

Scribble Labs: Round 1
Begins in
Mar 20, 2024 at 7:00 PM

How to Scribble
With credit to Gabumon and GBA for helping refine and write up these rules

There's some new faces here, some of whom are entirely new to Scribbling. So, let's go through the process, step-by-step! You should be a competent and confident Scribbler after reading this; you can get a bit of practice in before starting your first round proper, of course.

Step 1: Receiving Your Prompt

Each week, between Wednesday and Sunday, you can pick a time to make a Scribble. Your Scribble should be a drawing based on the 'prompt' you receive, e.g. MUSHROOM. You can interpret this as creatively or as literally as you want - make a comic about a mushroom, a still-life depiciton, something abstract, whatever! As long as it's relevant to the prompt you received, you are otherwise free to do as you please.

Prompts and general information about the tournament is managed by Uncle Awards, the trusty Scribblebot. You'll need to talk to it on Discord, where it has the ID Uncle Awards#3645. You can also find it on the official Mario Awards Discord Server. Uncle Awards supports two commands:

/scribble prompt - upon confirmation, this will send you your prompt for the week, and start the timer.
/scribble info - this will show you your name, color (and hex code), and opponent, as well as information about the active round. Useful for quickly finding out the essential information.

Scribble example.gif

An example of how to use the Scribble Bot to receive prompts.

Don't worry if you use the bot in a server with other people - no one else will see what it sends you.

When you're ready to start, just use /scribble prompt and the Scribbling will begin.

Step 2: Scribbling

When Scribbling, there are a few basic things to remember.
  • You'll have 2 hours after receiving your prompt to finish your Scribble and send it to me.
  • Scribbles must only have 3 colours in total - black, white, and your base colour.
  • The dimensions of your Scribble must be 600x600 pixels if drawing digitally, or 10x10 cm if drawing traditionally.
  • Scribbles must be static images; animated pictures or videos are not allowed.
  • Keep your prompt to yourself!

Make sure you can set up your Scribble correctly before starting, as these rules are important and it'd be a shame to spend time making a Scribble that can't be accepted.

It is recommended, if drawing digitally, to use a brush that is pixel-perfect; one that doesn't try and blend colours to make your lines look smoother. Every drawing app I know has an option for this, so try to find it before starting.

Of course, each week has an additional gimmick that I will explain three million times each week. The prompt will come with the extra rule, but here's the basics one more time;
  • Week 1: You can also use your opponent's base colour!
  • Week 2: You only have 20 minutes to finish your Scribble!
  • Week 3: Your prompt is an image - fill in the blanks to make something new!
  • Week 4: You can pick any 3 colours to use, but they can't be black or white!
With all that in mind, just draw - the rules are there to keep things simple and fair, so it's best to just do what the game says - Scribble.

1710891048919.png

That looks pretty good!

Step 3: Sending

When you're done with your Scribble, get a copy of the image and send it to me - this can be on the forum (you'll receive a PM chain to do this), or on Discord. Give me a shout if you're having trouble getting in touch with me.

You can also give your Scribble a title - this can help explain a joke or give some extra meaning to what you've made. This is optional.

Remember, your image must follow the rules! If you send me a Scribble and it doesn't follow the rules, I'll have to replace it with something else. There's a chance I'll be around to see it before your time limit's up, and tell you which rules it breaks so you can go back and fix it, but don't bank on it. If you're unsure, feel free to have a practice in your own time and I'll check it over.

Step 4: Voting

At the end of the round, when everyone's sent their Scribbles in, I'll post each artist's work alongside their opponent, as well as the prompt they received. Every player and spectator can then vote on their favourite Scribble for each prompt.

1710890927174.png

Voting takes place on a Google Form. It's pretty simple.

When voting is over, the winning Scribblers get one point, and there will be about a day's downtime while I set up the next round.

Points don't really mean anything - they'll influence who you get paired up with, but there's no real winner and no one gets kicked out for losing a match. Some Scribblers like to fight for high scores, but others just enjoy taking part.

1710964615583.png

The thing in the corner waves a pin-like appendage in your direction. It's... unidentifiable, an awkward amalgam of metal and cloth. What looks like a flag hangs from the front, wafting gently.

It's a Kingsbourne, for sure.

1710962150421.png

"You mustn't fall victim to the rotten King's schemes! I was his best and brightest child, but he cast me into this pit because I was TOO creative!"

It upends the economy homework, sending bits of paper flying everywhere.

"I saw his rulebook on Scribbling. It was very long and very strict! I offered my mind and my ideas in good faith - ways to improve the format, new things to try - and I was met with laughter, then punishment. His golden grace only extends to those who follow his rules without question!"

1710964598745.png

It slowly becomes apparent that the cuff and chains on this thing are purely cosmetic.

"That monotonous monarch and my halfwit brothers want to play it safe. Safe, huh! Is that what the people of this world deserve? No! The Scribblers yearn for experimentation!"

"The Spirit of Scribbling has fallen stagnant under that old fool's rule. We will show the world that there is more to this divine art! My comrades, we will get crazy with it! We will Scribble not just for ourselves, not just for our liberation - but for the betterment of the Kingdom of Scribbles itself!"

It raises a pencil towards the sky. Looks like the economy can wait. There's Scribbling to be done.
1710963849001.png

1710962193184.png

Round 1 - Shared Palette - has begun. As well as your own colour, you may use your opponent's. Use your new palette to your advantage - will you create contrast, or blend your hues together?

The prompt category is:
Species/Characters

e.g. BIRDOS, GOOMBAS, etc.
Round 1 submissions end:
Mar 25, 2024 at 7:00 PM

Round 1 Matchups:
1710962715573.png

Back