Staff Opening: Design Manager

Meta Knight

Accepting applications for The 'Shroom
Core 'Shroom Staff
You may or may not be aware that over at The 'Shroom, we've made some changes to the position formerly known as Graphic Design Manager. If you missed the details, you can read more about that here.

The short version is, we've decided to rework this new Design Manager role in such way so that instead of having a large majority of our asset needs placed on a single person, they can coordinate with other talented people while maintaining a strong artistic vision for the project. This has the effect of reducing burnout by not having one person shoulder so much weight, and it also allows us to tap into artists throughout the community for an even more rewarding collaborative effort.

What you may not know, is that our beloved GBA will be stepping down from his current position. As a result, we are hosting an application for the role of Design Manager. If you're interested in applying, you'll need to submit an application to me, making it clear your intent to take over this position. Here's a rundown of what you would be doing if you're selected:

- You would be responsible for communicating with artists that have graciously volunteered to provide their services when needed. If you're familiar with the process of requesting art commissions, this will sort of be like that. You must keep in mind that this is a volunteer-driven process, and manage reasonable goals in line with the expectations set out in the 'Shroom Artist thread.

- You'll be involved in the planning process for special issues quite thoroughly, as well as the overall design of The 'Shroom for any artistic features that we may or may not utilize in the future. Our latest developments with the front page buttons and customizable SVG backgrounds are some of the features the design manager may wish to experiment with. With years of precedent and examples to draw from, you can confidently lead the design of a special issue from the ground up.

- A very small amount of CSS knowledge to understand what can be customized within The 'Shroom's structure is desirable, but not an upfront requirement. You can gain this experience in the position, as many of our staff have in past.

- You'll need to possess the ability to create assets yourself. We've reworked this Design Manager position to offload a lot of the work from one person, and part of the job would be giving artists plenty of time for them to work with, as well as being clear with what we're expecting for any piece. That said, emergencies happen, sometimes things don't go as planned etc. In these situations, you would need to be prepared to make something potentially on short notice, and scale back if reasonable to do so. We're not looking for the greatest artist of all time, but this is something to keep in mind.

In short, we're looking for people who are friendly with a strong artistic vision that can communicate well. This position would require you to keep in contact with artists for our behalf to fulfill The 'Shroom's asset requests, and be responsible for the project's general aesthetic. If this sounds like something you're interested in, send your application in to me.

We will keep this open until March 9th, at which point we will discuss who the best candidate is and make our decision shortly after. Best of luck!

Kind regards,
Meta

Last edited:
I might apply for this. It could be a good chance to fill out my portfolio.

Then again I might be lazy and forget about it

Back