What's taking the Mario Movie 2 so long to be announced?

Trolls: Band Together

Goomba
Banned User
Aside from the writers/actors' strike, why hasn't the sequel been announced? Especially since Chris Pratt said the sequel would be announced "soon", but the movie hasn't been confirmed. It has been many months since the movie, and the film's official trailer's first anniversary is coming. Even Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was announced three months after Sonic the Hedgehog's release. The Super Mario Bros. Movie was a massive commercial success, so it's inevitable a sequel, many more movies, spin-offs, and Nintendo movies are happening, but Nintendo/Illumination need to announce the sequel soon.

because animated movies of this caliber are some of the most expensive and time-consuming undertakings in the moviemaking industry. especially as of the 2010s, it's not uncommon for an animated project to take upwards to a decade from inception to completion. one example is Puss in Boots 2, which allegedly began production in early 2014 with its script being overhauled in 2015 (a common part of process for films in general).

also, i implore you on behalf of this community to start posting anything related to Mario media itself in the "Marioverse" forum. "General Discussion" is for matters related to the Mario Wiki and the Mario Boards.

Aside from the writers/actors' strike, why hasn't the sequel been announced? Especially since Chris Pratt said the sequel would be announced "soon", but the movie hasn't been confirmed. It has been many months since the movie, and the film's official trailer's first anniversary is coming. Even Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was announced three months after Sonic the Hedgehog's release. The Super Mario Bros. Movie was a massive commercial success, so it's inevitable a sequel, many more movies, spin-offs, and Nintendo movies are happening, but Nintendo/Illumination need to announce the sequel soon.

I would say a sequel is all you can bet on right now. "Many more movies, spin-offs, and Nintendo Movies" maybe but definitely not for a long time. As for the sequel I would say the announcement is just a matter of how far into production they want to do that, seeing as Nintendo has a habit of not announcing stuff till late in production I would get ready to wait a while

but Nintendo/Illumination need to announce the sequel soon.
They really don't.

It's totally OK and, in my opinion, even preferable for them to not announce a sequel ASAP. It's not going to make any damn difference.

This totally isn't me hating how it seems nearly every new movie in Hollywood automatically is planned to have sequels and be part of a franchise from the word 'go', with some extreme cases having sequels/a whole cinematic universe announced before the first film is even released btw.

It takes weeks to animate around 30 seconds so...imagine how long it would take for an hour and a half.

I don't think a sequel NEEDS to be announced right now. There's plenty of Mario media to enjoy for the time being with Super Mario Wonder along with Mario RPG, Thousand Year, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Wave 6 and Princess Peach Showtime that are along the way.

I think there should be some cooldown period after all these games before we get all hyped up again about a new movie. I really wouldn't expect news until May 2024 at the earliest. And also, a plain announcement wouldn't be the MOST exciting as it's inevitable it'll release. There's plenty to keep occupied during the time between the release of the Mario Movie and the announcement of the next one.

Back