What determines the notability of a game/film/etc. staff member?

Koopa con Carne

call me Hot Lips, 'cause i'm a one-shot wonder
MarioWiki
Koopa con Carne
Is there some sort of hard line regarding which staff members behind a game or other piece of media, credited or not, can be given articles on the wiki? Are, say, the animators of Donkey Kong Jet Race eligible for articles? Or any of the concept artists behind the Mario + Rabbids games?

I'm asking particularly because I'm sort of planning to make an article for a popular artist, Megan Rose Ruiz, who claims to have worked as a visdev on the Mario Movie. Obviously I'm only going to entertain that idea more seriously once they're actually listed in the movie's credits, but even if that's the case, I need to know if there's any consensus on what makes this person as well as others in a similar position coverage-worthy or not. Provided information about them is available, is it recurrence between projects? Social media notoriety? Having a Wikipedia article?

In this respect, I'm also noticing a lack of coverage for artists and programmers in the wiki's mainspace compared to that of composers, game designers, and, most decidedly, voice actors. Programmers don't even have articles as suggested by the "People" template, unless they had more notable roles. Perhaps we ought to expand the wiki's scope in this direction?

Last edited:
There's no standard in wiki policy regarding this, and IMO there shouldn't be. My view is that if anyone is credited on a Mario game, or can produce sufficient proof of their involvement, they warrant a page.

There's currently more pages on creatives than technical folks because rightly, or wrongly, there's a perception of these positions being more "important" and "interesting". It's the same in movies where the press is more likely to talk to the director or writer than the cinematographer or stuntmen. It's also reflected in things like Iwata Asks, where the people interviewed were more likely to discuss how they made the game feel intuitive and fun to play than talk about how difficult it was to optimise the LOD levels to hit the 60 fps target or whatever. Myself when I used to make pages for real-world subjects with the logic of "Can I put more stuff than "[Person] worked on game X, Y, and Z. Can I link them to interesting pop culture minutia or mention specifically what they did in the game?". But that does not mean such content does not merit a page on the wiki and I welcome any effort to improve things on that front.

Back