SMG vs. SMS

Which game is better? Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Sunshine?

• Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Both were horrible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both were equally amazing

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
Super Mario Galaxy by far, they had better and more interesting bosses, better level designs and more tasteful musc.

Gumby said:
Super Mario Galaxy by far, they had better and more interesting bosses, better level designs and more tasteful music.
:)

I'm glad there's atleast one other person on SMG's side besides Ninji and me.

Oh come on Luigi+Daisy fan, it´s not like we should argue.

I´ll repeat myself: Galaxy is technically better but better game does nto mean the previous one is bad. For example, I like Mario Kart Double Dash better than MK Wii. Same goes for any person liking one game or another depending on their tastes or whatever they consider more important in a videogame.

Easmo said:

I´ll repeat myself: Galaxy is technically better but better game does nto mean the previous one is bad. For example, I like Mario Kart Double Dash better than MK Wii. Same goes for any person liking one game or another depending on their tastes or whatever they consider more important in a videogame.
Per

Easmo said:

i'm doen arguing. Okay, you win! SMG is better ok.

I like how everything I say is apparently a lie, but if someone else says it, it's awesome.

Also, this is an opinion poll. If you weren't claiming your opinion as fact, I wouldn't argue.

One of the problems that SMS has legacy-wise is that it was a Mario 3D game. The quality expectation goes way up with a Mario 3D game, which is why SMG2 now is being bashed for being recycled (which we know Nintendo has done with sports games like Sluggers). But SMS was still the best platformer on the Gamecube, hands down. It was just that putting 20% of the Shines to blue coins, less variation of the worlds, a feeling of less exploration put it down.

That said, I did vote for SMG, which did limit exploration sometimes too. It would be nice to be able to get any (or most) of the stars of any world again.

Black Mage said:
I like how everything I say is apparently a lie, but if someone else says it, it's awesome.

Also, this is an opinion poll. If you weren't claiming your opinion as fact, I wouldn't argue.
Now, you're arguing with me again. I already said SMG was better. What else do you want? Money? jk

What.

I understand what you're saying, but there's this little option called "Modify" which can be found at the top right of your posted posts.

Anyway, do you like both equally (Judging the previous two posts...)?

SMS. Why? 5 reasons. 1. the story is better. All SMG was a souped-up version of the Super Mario Bros. plot. Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario has to rescue her. Only this time it's in space. Yaaay. 2. The camera. Yeah. some of you may say the camera in SMS sucks. And I agree. But SMG's was worse. When you go to the bottom of planets to get to something, for me it only stays on the top and I only see a sillouhette (I don't think that's spelled right) of Mario running around. 3. The controls. SPRING MARIO. UPSIDE DOWN. ON THE WALL. Those words right there describe it. For Spring Mario. Ugh. It speaks for itself. When you're upside down the controls just mixed me up and I end up falling off the ledge. :mad:. As for on the wall. When you're sideways in the Battlerock Purple Coin mission. Ugh. It speaks for itself too. (But that may just be my rotten luck). Super Mario Sunshine's, however; are easy to get. you move the control stick around to move and A to jump. R to use FLUDD. Simple, is it not? 4. The levels. In Super Mario Sunshine, you move around the wide open levels completing objectives and getting Shine Sprites. But in SMG, You're cooped up in tiny little planets that you get to using sling and launch stars. Umm... Excuse me? I need WIDE levels, people. 5. The ratings. Go to gamespot or some other game rating site and you'll know what I'm talking about. EVERYBODY (almost) says this game is a GODLY MASTERPIECE! Super Mario Sunshine gets low reviews and I (and a lot of people I know) loved the game. So to make a long story short: SMG is overrated, SMS is underrated. I hope I made myself clear

Lemmy Koopa Fan said:
1. the story is better. All SMG was a souped-up version of the Super Mario Bros. plot. Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario has to rescue her. Only this time it's in space. Yaaay.
SMS was the same. Bowser kidnaps peach, except he does it through manipulating his son. Yaaay.

Lemmy Koopa Fan said:
2. The camera. Yeah. some of you may say the camera in SMS sucks. And I agree. But SMG's was worse. When you go to the bottom of planets to get to something, for me it only stays on the top and I only see a sillouhette (I don't think that's spelled right) of Mario running around.
Really? That never happened in SMG for me. I was however constantly struggling to get the camera in the right place in SMS, where I pretty much always wound up in front of some large object that the camera just can't figure it's way around, especially when platforming.

Lemmy Koopa Fan said:
3. The controls. SPRING MARIO. UPSIDE DOWN. ON THE WALL. Those words right there describe it. For Spring Mario. Ugh. It speaks for itself. When you're upside down the controls just mixed me up and I end up falling off the ledge. :mad:. As for on the wall. When you're sideways in the Battlerock Purple Coin mission. Ugh. It speaks for itself too. (But that may just be my rotten luck). Super Mario Sunshine's, however; are easy to get. you move the control stick around to move and A to jump. R to use FLUDD. Simple, is it not?
The only thing I ever really had trouble with was that Purple Coin mission you mentioned(which was not Battlerock, I believe it was Dreadnought). I had about the same amount of problems with SMS' controls that I did with SMG's, just a couple of missions that had you doing something that they set up in a weird way.

Lemmy Koopa Fan said:
4. The levels. In Super Mario Sunshine, you move around the wide open levels completing objectives and getting Shine Sprites. But in SMG, You're cooped up in tiny little planets that you get to using sling and launch stars. Umm... Excuse me? I need WIDE levels, people.
That's entirely a matter of preference, but you do seem to be exaggerating it. I know it's a bit outrageous, but in Sunshine you could actually see levels from other levels, maybe 100 feet away. But you couldn't just swim over to them, you were cooped up in the tiny level boundaries and instead had to unlock a magical portal to them... When in real life, you could have just swam. In Galaxy, there's at least a vaguely realistic system of gravity that's keeping you from swimming through space. In Sunshine... Nothing.

Lemmy Koopa Fan said:
5. The ratings. Go to gamespot or some other game rating site and you'll know what I'm talking about. EVERYBODY (almost) says this game is a GODLY MASTERPIECE! Super Mario Sunshine gets low reviews and I (and a lot of people I know) loved the game. So to make a long story short: SMG is overrated, SMS is underrated. I hope I made myself clear
That's not a legitimate reason to consider one game better then another. I wouldn't even call it a legitimate reason to LIKE one game better then another.

Uniju, don't be a SMS Fan Nazi.

Lemmy Koopa Fan said:
2. The camera. Yeah. some of you may say the camera in SMS sucks. And I agree. But SMG's was worse. When you go to the bottom of planets to get to something, for me it only stays on the top and I only see a sillouhette (I don't think that's spelled right) of Mario running around.

Same'd. How can I say more?

4. The levels. In Super Mario Sunshine, you move around the wide open levels completing objectives and getting Shine Sprites. But in SMG, You're cooped up in tiny little planets that you get to using sling and launch stars. Umm... Excuse me? I need WIDE levels, people.

Yep. Super Mario Galaxy is basically linear.

5. The ratings. Go to gamespot or some other game rating site and you'll know what I'm talking about. EVERYBODY (almost) says this game is a GODLY MASTERPIECE! Super Mario Sunshine gets low reviews and I (and a lot of people I know) loved the game. So to make a long story short: SMG is overrated, SMS is underrated. I hope I made myself clear

Strangely, this one place says that SMS is overrated...

Uniju: The following emoticons are what I feel like: :yoshi: , :dk:

The User Formerly Known as Lario said:
Uniju, don't be a SMS Fan Nazi.
He's not being biased, or a "Fan Nazi" as you overexageratedly put it. He's simply giving his thoughts and opinion. I agree with Uniju, in fact, his last part correctly summed up how I feel about reviews. Also, I don't think SMS is bad, I just think SMG is better game overall.

THEN DIS MEANS WAR.

Sorry.

Fine. I respect others' opinions but I was criticizing him for acting like he has the superior one.

In my opinion, Sunshine and Galaxy are pretty much tied.

Uniju said:
Lemmy Koopa Fan said:
1. the story is better. All SMG was a souped-up version of the Super Mario Bros. plot. Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario has to rescue her. Only this time it's in space. Yaaay.
SMS was the same. Bowser kidnaps peach, except he does it through manipulating his son. Yaaay.

Lemmy Koopa Fan said:
Really? That never happened in SMG for me. I was however constantly struggling to get the camera in the right place in SMS, where I pretty much always wound up in front of some large object that the camera just can't figure it's way around, especially when platforming.

Lemmy Koopa Fan said:
3. The controls. SPRING MARIO. UPSIDE DOWN. ON THE WALL. Those words right there describe it. For Spring Mario. Ugh. It speaks for itself. When you're upside down the controls just mixed me up and I end up falling off the ledge. :mad:. As for on the wall. When you're sideways in the Battlerock Purple Coin mission. Ugh. It speaks for itself too. (But that may just be my rotten luck). Super Mario Sunshine's, however; are easy to get. you move the control stick around to move and A to jump. R to use FLUDD. Simple, is it not?
The only thing I ever really had trouble with was that Purple Coin mission you mentioned(which was not Battlerock, I believe it was Dreadnought). I had about the same amount of problems with SMS' controls that I did with SMG's, just a couple of missions that had you doing something that they set up in a weird way.

Lemmy Koopa Fan said:
That's entirely a matter of preference, but you do seem to be exaggerating it. I know it's a bit outrageous, but in Sunshine you could actually see levels from other levels, maybe 100 feet away. But you couldn't just swim over to them, you were cooped up in the tiny level boundaries and instead had to unlock a magical portal to them... When in real life, you could have just swam. In Galaxy, there's at least a vaguely realistic system of gravity that's keeping you from swimming through space. In Sunshine... Nothing.

Lemmy Koopa Fan said:
That's not a legitimate reason to consider one game better then another. I wouldn't even call it a legitimate reason to LIKE one game better then another.

You are the master of comebacks, Uniji. (that was a compliment.)

Back