Mario music you would like to see return

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
Mario games provide many new tunes as well covers of beloved ones from the past, can't even count how many there is pretty much of all SMB1's ost and pretty much near all of them are great

But then there are some that are beloved but never get any official covers, that is what I am here to discuss

For me, pretty much any song from SML2, if the wiki is anything to go by, the music from that game has only appeared out of it a grand total of once and as a big fan of the game, that doesn't sit right with me

Last edited:
Not exactly retro stuff but Paper Mario TTYD had plenty of amazing tunes which I would love to see remixed in future games, but as far as I'm aware haven't been

The RPGs in general, outside Smash their original motifs have barely gotten any outside love. And even Smash is weirdly selective about it, often opting to just port the originals for most included songs. Like most elements, those games tend to be liberal with musical references to other Mario games while not having the favor returned.

The few times a non-RPG Mario game has referenced music from the RPGs, it's been a banger (Fortune Street's remix of SMRPG's Hello Happy Kingdom, and DDR Mario Mix's rendition of Ms. Mowz's theme, which also incorporates X-Naut Fortress) but Smash's remixes are hit or miss (Brawl's Gritzy Desert remix is fantastic, Smash 4's Rogueport remix is satisfactory but shortened, there's two Sticker Star remixes that are fine but the original songs themselves are remixes of very common Mario tunes, and their Try Try Again remix is er, awkward to put it nicely)

The fact DDR Mario Mix, Mario Hoops 3 on 3, and Mario Sports Mix are stuck with amazing soundtracks that barely get talked about outside of me bringing it up is pretty sad.

So I'll remind you once again that these soundtracks are excellent and people should give Sherbet Land, Smash Skate 2 and Daisy Garden a listen.

Mario Strikers Charged has such a funky soundtrack that it's a crying shame zero of its tracks made for a high-intensity E10+ game wasn't put into some high-profile high-intensity fighting game

their Try Try Again remix is er, awkward to put it nicely
I'll cut to the chase. It's a f
9yv6vs3.png
king mess of a redux version. They had some aspects going for it but they ruined the instrumentation by removing the flute and the accompanying flute chorus all together (which was an INTEGRAL part of the original song), REALLY scaling back the strings, and replacing with some terrible electronic guitar synth that blends with the song, making the melody overpowered by the background noise (especially by the latter part of the song, my god it sounds terrible!). They even got rid of the flute solo at the end!!! It lost a LOT of the original mood of the song. It's unforgivable. I guess the xylophones are spot on at least. The beginning is also really good; they nailed it down, which makes it just more disappointing!

Best thing I can say about it is that it's not the only track ruined by bad instrumentation, as Bob-omb Battlefield was also similarly ruined by replacing the usual brass with some shitty electric noise or whatever, it's just not good at all. Super Mario 3D Land, same case, the sax that was so integral to the original song is replaced/dialed ridiculously back... just why? Everyone remembers that song for the sax. Didn't even attempt to try to give it the same spirit of that sax. It's a shame because the second half of the song isn't too bad when they add background sax.

Hope they don't ruin Origami King's Red Streamer song if they ever alter it for Smash Bros because that song is amazing (as with a lot of music from that game; Origami King has easily the best soundtrack of the Paper Mario games). Like don't kill off the brass/sax for instance in favor of some shit meow synth. Or the Vellumental Battle, don't kill the brass, sax, or strings especially without something that replicates the original spirit.

The fact DDR Mario Mix, Mario Hoops 3 on 3, and Mario Sports Mix are stuck with amazing soundtracks that barely get talked about outside of me bringing it up is pretty sad.

So I'll remind you once again that these soundtracks are excellent and people should give Sherbet Land, Smash Skate 2 and Daisy Garden a listen.
Mario Superstar Baseball has some funky tracks too! Mario Stadium is really good (its Super Sluggers iteration is great too but I think like the Superstar Baseball version more). It also has a good rendition of the Mushroom Kingdom theme in Peach Gardens.

Let's all hope the covered version of All Star in Donkey Konga returns in a future Mario game.

No, no, I too think that Mario Sports Mix has an amazing soundtrack, but Daisy Garden? 🤔 I'm guessing that's the best one for you since it's the only one from that game that you listed?

Hard disagree, but I personally like Mario Stadium, Koopa Troopa Beach, Peach's Castle, Luigi's Mansion, Western Junction, and Bowser Jr. Boulevard (the Fast version as well).

In regards to the Luigi's Mansion music, I like that it's not a remix of the Luigi's Mansion main theme since I dislike most of the remixes such as the one in Super Sluggers (dull) and Brawl (ear torture). In my opinion, Bowser Jr. Boulevard is the only track that sounds good sped up. Unlike Mario Kart's final themes which are (usually) sped up by 20%, this game's themes are sped up by like 40% which is too fast and they don't sound good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't listen to Mario Superstar Baseball's soundtrack very often, but it does have a few goodies. I honestly forgot what the Mario Stadium music from this game sounds like, I can only remember the Super Sluggers version. Peach's Castle is kind of boring to me, sorry to say. From this game I like Yoshi Park, DK Jungle, the menu theme, and the minigame results music.

Back