Is Nintendo aware of those mobile super Mario lookalikes

Mamoru endou

Koopa Troopa
I remember I've been talking about mobile super Mario lookalikes on Google play and the app store and that makes me wonder, is Nintendo aware of those mobile knockoffs of super Mario bros, have they tried to go after the companies that make those games

Attachments

• 20220912_172019.jpg
    20220912_172019.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220912_172015.jpg
    20220912_172015.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220912_172012.jpg
    20220912_172012.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220912_172008.jpg
    20220912_172008.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 60
They probably are aware of it but they don't think it's worth the effort to do so, that market is so unregulated that it's simply not worth it to go after every knockoff.

I feel that the only ones of these games that Nintendo actually feels the need to take down are the ones that outright steal assets from the Mario series tbh.

Which makes sense because those ones aren't just like 'shoddy knock-off mobile game inspired by Super Mario', they're 'shoddy knock-off mobile game outright using Nintendo's art and characters without legal permission'.

No, Nintendo is all the way back in the 1990s, lol.

But yeah, its way more trouble than its worth for them to really try to do anything about those type of games.

There might be some overseas shenanigans that make it so they can't do any class action lawsuits and the best they can do is have the apps taken down, which ineviatably the apps get reuploaded

+ the immense quality difference, those low budget apps just make ya wish you were playing the real deal.
With MKT on the plate, I don't think Nintendo is in the slightest worried.

The
They probably are aware of it but they don't think it's worth the effort to do so, that market is so unregulated that it's simply not worth it to go after every knockoff.
They did it with the great Giana sisters

They did it with the great Giana sisters
That was also 35 years ago and I think there's a bit of a difference between Nintendo going to the effort to get one company to pull their SMB knockoff game from store shelves back in 1987 (rumors are that they sued the developers, but no one has ever been able to find any actual source that this alleged lawsuit was filed) and Nintendo going to the effort to try and get Google and Apple to pull literally all of the likely hundreds of SMB rip-offs and SMB inspired games off their respective app stores.

That was also 35 years ago and I think there's a bit of a difference between Nintendo going to the effort to get one company to pull their SMB knockoff game from store shelves back in 1987 (rumors are that they sued the developers, but no one has ever been able to find any actual source that this alleged lawsuit was filed) and Nintendo going to the effort to try and get Google and Apple to pull literally all of the likely hundreds of SMB rip-offs and SMB inspired games off their respective app stores.
Maybe Nintendo is like "you can make a side scrolling platform game on mobile that is inspired by Mario just as long as you don't rip off Mario" to be honest I've seen lots of those under the name of "super jungle adventure world"(despite none of these games taking place in an actual jungle) on the android play store since 2016, some of them are asset flips that change things around, some of them even play alike if you know what I mean, I've seen oodles of them

Last edited:
Back