Should Nintendo remake super Mario world

Mamoru endou

Koopa Troopa
I've been wanting to ask you all on this forum, should Nintendo do a remake or reboot of super Mario world, I think they should and if they did, it would be along the lines of Sonic mania or something, it would be like the SNES classic but with some minor changes added

As long as the art style remains 2D and doesn't try to insert fancy realistic lighting where it's not needed, sure. And the core gameplay & physics should remain identical. I'd like if it had the voice clips and unique Luigi design from the GBA version though.

I think the original Super Mario World still holds up fantastic though, so it's definitely not the mainline Mario game that would benefit the most from a remake (*cough*Sunshine*cough*)

doesn't try to insert fancy realistic lighting where it's not needed

This statement confuses me, because "fancy realistic lighting" is ultimately a good thing and makes your games look gorgeous. While it's true that it's not really necessary in the grand scheme of things, you want your games to employ advanced lighting techniques if your development can afford it, even in a 2D art style; the technology is there, why not make use of it?

Like, say what you want about Super Mario World's graphics, but I personally think this is very outdated and limited by the time it's in and its hardware, this "forest" of illusion is just represented by a generic backdrop of treetops rather than having any of the actual spooky trees in the background, and its lighting doesn't suggest it's supposed to be an illusory place shrouded in mystery.

Forest_of_Illusion_1_SMW.png

To give you an example of what modern 2D platformers with a modern 2D art style can do with advanced lighting in a forest environment, I'll take an example from Ori and the Blind Forest.

1654709327732.png

Or even Rayman Legends, which has a less complex art style but still uses advance lighting techniques.

1654709388255.png

Even within Mario, look at the Bowser's Minions remake of Superstar Saga, it also uses advanced lighting techniques in its presentation and it looks very gorgeous for its facelifted environments, going to use the difference with GBA Chucklehuck Woods vs 3DS Chucklehuck Woods. While Bowser's Minions doesn't use the most advanced lighting out there, it does use more dynamic lighting techniques compared to the original and we get this as a result, which really does bring out Chucklehuck Woods as an organic, tree-covered place to life.

M%26LSSBM_Chucklehuck_Woods_Beanhole_11.png

MLSSBS55.png

If your argument is "art style matters" then I do strongly agree with you there but Mario consistently has strong art styles and barely has an issue with generic landscapes (one of the biggest problems of modern NSMB games art style is that they DON'T use advanced lighting techniques relative for their hardware they're on, in fact!). If they're going to do a modern remake of Super Mario World and still keep it in 2D, they will absolutely keep its art style in faith, and we will see gorgeous Ghost Houses as a result that will do those environments so much justice.

Sorry but Super Mario World is far from a perfect game and has terrible design choices pertinent to the era it was released on such as its many cryptic exits (backtracking to get a Cape for some of them and its bad Cheese Bridge secret exit) and its useless dragon coins. Some of these are fixed in the GBA remake such as the game actually keeping track of the dragon coins you collect and unlocking the peach coins when you collect them all but the GBA remake introduces its own issues because it was on a GBA such as screen crunch and bright palette as well as GBA soundchip.

An ideal Super Mario World would retain the gameplay, retain the improvements brought by the Advance series (such as ability to save anywhere! being able to play on castles without needing to beat the game again or use some cryptic hidden button combination) but without GBA limitations, but give its graphics a facelift, modernize some of its gameplay (such as nixing lives and the timer entirely, save for the one level where the timer is actually important in the special world), and remastering its soundtrack. Maybe even simultaneous 2-player rather than the alternative, pass-the-controller stuff, as Advance did introduce playable Luigi, and I think it could fit two players, 4 players sounds like much.

Also, some levels are just plain bad such as that Chocolate Island 2 cryptic "level changes if you collect 24 coins and has 273 seconds on the timer" and Chocolate Island 3's useless secret exit that takes Mario in a circle.

I don't see the point really.

Eh, I don't find a remake to be needed. Super Mario World still holds up very well today outside of some dated level design. If we were to go for a remake, I think the Taxman/Stealth remaster approach would make the most sense, retain the graphical presentation, music and gameplay, but add widescreen, some new quality of life updates and the additions and improvements from the Advance port. Bada bing, bada boom. Yeah, like Nintendo will ever do that, but a man can dream.

If we were to remake any 2D Mario game, than the Land duology would make the most sense in my eyes, since the originals, while fun, are a bit rough around the edges and will greatly benefit from a remake.

I mean Sega regularly re-releases their classic Sonic games (like Sonic Origins or Whitehead's Sonic CD) so they know there's a market there that will buy retro games retouched up to have more modern qol improvements.

Wait didn't Nintendo already re-release Super Mario World on the game boy advance in 2005?

If anything, we should be getting a New Super Mario All Stars game containing the 4 core New Super Mario Bros games.

Wait didn't Nintendo already re-release Super Mario World on the game boy advance in 2005?
2001 (for Japan) and 2002 (for the rest of the world)

That was also, as you may be able to tell, over 20 years ago.

Of course this thread isn't about Nintendo rereleasing Super Mario World, they've done that tons of times, it's asking if they should remake it (and honestly even though there are some differences between the SNES original and GBA version, I don't think it's controversial to say that the GBA version is just an enhanced port of the game and not a remake).

Back