MarioWiki Poll Discussion

game doesn't appeal to me personally, so option 6, although i appreciate how this game (along with some other media, like the Mario Movie) is pushing her characterization away from the boring McGuffin whose "favorite emotion is being a princess" she once was. she's still demure, which is fine, but, like, she also has a bit more agency and determination, you know? she's become a good character that girl players can identify with, and what better game to showcase it than Showtime?

I'll say option 6. I played the demo, thought it was fine albeit pretty easy, but the game didn't interest me enough for me to buy it. I do like how this game gave Peach her own unique environment, gameplay, and villain, much like other characters such as Yoshi, Wario and Captain Toad have received over the years; but gameplay-wise, Princess Peach: Showtime doesn't interest me much.

I am not interested in Princess Peach's Showtime, which is option 6. It basically boils down to being indifferent about the character, which is something I felt about Luigi (which is why I am similarly indifferent to Luigi's Mansion games too). The central draw of the game is sound, where Peach dons various costumes to gain some new abilities suited for the play in hand, so I imagine if I were more fond of Peach, this would be interesting. As it stands, it's not a dealmaker for me.

Even then, I hope this game will be successful because it does things that is more positive to the character. Two things that stood out is how she is given a chance to help herself out of a predicament instead of relying on a hero to rescue her, and how the crisis is not predicated on Mario's kidnapping to augment the main character's importance (an issue which I felt is central to Luigi's Mansion, where I felt like Luigi's independence in heroism had to be tethered to rescuing Mario, instead of him tackling a threat without Mario's involvement). Basically for the latter point, I am all for the characters getting their games, but it shouldn't be at the expense of Mario, something Donkey Kong Country thankfully averted.

Thank you for reading.

Option 5, I'm not buying any new video games for a long time but that Peach is the main character and has different fighting abilities seems cool. I concede I haven't kept up with the trailers very much though.

Steel yourselves for a new poll! Boss fights are a staple of Mario platformers, and typically they have introductions before you fight them. How do you prefer the boss to introduce themselves before you go to battle?

Boss Fights in Super Mario platformers have been introduced in several ways. Which is your favorite?
*I prefer when a boss has dialogue before the fight, like in Super Mario 64.
*I prefer a brief introductory cutscene with no written text.
*I prefer having to do something in the game to begin the fight, like cracking Dino Piranha's egg.
*I prefer when the boss fight begins immediately with no interruption.
*I do not have a specific preference. Different introductions can be used effectively depending on the boss.
*I have no opinion

Option 5. As long as the first impression shows off a good amount of skill, they look like a decent threat, and there aren't too many repeats (and the repeats change up the battle somewhat), I'm sold on taking them down to further my progress in the games.

Option 1. I find it a bit frustrating when bosses appear out of nowhere with no context and don't say anything, having at least a little spoken background by the boss can introduce me to it in a more logical way. I know Mario games aren't necessarily supposed to make much sense, but it's always fun to see what bosses have to say for themselves before I start beating them up.

I meant to give my opinion on this a while ago but I totally forgot D:

I'm going with option 5 because any of the options 1-3 are fine with me. I only don't like option 4 because I think of the Big/Chill Bully from Mario 64 and how they don't feel like real bosses to me. They feel a lot more like minibosses when they just unceremoniously start without any kind of introduction.

Back