Talk about how your parents are, are being, or were immature in this thread.

Should parents' offspring be allowed to sue them for overprotectiveness?

• It depends on the case, but sometimes.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No, even if parents are overly controlling that should still be their right.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prefer not to say

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Nate Jacobs

WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
The Shadow Prince
This is, of course, a self-explanatory thread.

I know other people's experiences if they post in this thread will likely be much worse than this, but my parents are probably going to shut down my Switch Internet services so I can't access all the games I got by paying $20 each for three years, especially since because of this I got the expansion FOR FREE for a year. There's also another guy from my older high school who I really have a crush on, and I want to tell him because I am very certain he would be able to take it well. But my biggest fear is that if it leaked out my parents would just give away the 2DS they're letting me get after they threw away my 3DS without even giving it away a bit over two years ago because I figured out how to use the Internet on it, or some other unreasonable punishment that's about as bad even if my crush takes it really well but it still leaks out (like, even though I'll tell him not to tell anyone, if he's concerned my parents are too harsh on me so he tells his parents about that and it leaks out that way, although I'm quite sure he'll know not to.) My biggest mistake was telling my mom I had a crush on him and then she harshly warned me not to tell him, so right then I realized I made a critical mistake, because then she has what she sees as an "excuse" to come down unfairly harsh on me if I tell my crush.

Your problems here may easily be much more serious than mine so talk about them more, but does anyone have any advice for any parts of my dilemma with my parents? It's really bugging me a lot, so I want to hear some points of view from other users

I don't think "sue parents" logically follows "parents disable NSO" for starters.

As for the control, that's more serious from what I glean: parents really should keep their hands off your game consoles as well as stay off your private life, as that's a disrespectful breach of boundaries and that can get really serious depending on the context, but pressing charges is still entirely off the table. Pressing charges is normally for extremely serious cases, extreme breaches of boundaries; say, assault, parents drawing blood from you. This is nowhere near the severity from what I'm seeing, though I can't make any sort of conclusions on your relationship with your parents, but I don't think it's good they're mucking with your property and personal relationships like this.

I don't think "sue parents" logically follows "parents disable NSO" for starters.

As for the control, that's more serious from what I glean: parents really should keep their hands off your game consoles as well as stay off your private life, as that's a disrespectful breach of boundaries and that can get really serious depending on the context, but pressing charges is still entirely off the table. Pressing charges is normally for extremely serious cases, extreme breaches of boundaries; say, assault, parents drawing blood from you. This is nowhere near the severity from what I'm seeing, though I can't make any sort of conclusions on your relationship with your parents, but I don't think it's good they're mucking with your property and personal relationships like this.
Well, I didn't mean specifically my parents disabling Nintendo Switch Online/make the poll as a venting poll about it, just if one has parents that are overprotective in a much worse way even than that, this poll covers whether it's okay to take legal action against them.

Well, I didn't mean specifically my parents disabling Nintendo Switch Online/make the poll as a venting poll about it, just if one has parents that are overprotective in a much worse way even than that, this poll covers whether it's okay to take legal action against them.
The poll's not particularly framed in a way where any answer is satisfying and reflects my opinion on this. I have not much information regarding your situation and I'm always not going to have enough information, being ultimately an outsider to this.

I don't think your parents should be mucking with your property (if your bio is correct, you're 19 now so since you're a legal adult...). However, if they muck with your bank account that's under your name, THEN that's considered legally big no no.

The poll's not particularly framed in a way where any answer is satisfying and reflects my opinion on this. I have not much information regarding your situation and I'm always not going to have enough information, being ultimately an outsider to this.

I don't think your parents should be mucking with your property (if your bio is correct, you're 19 now so since you're a legal adult...). However, if they muck with your bank account that's under your name, THEN that's considered legally big no no.
But the question is if messing with the Switch internet counts since from what it sounds like they're paying for NSO themself.

But the question is if messing with the Switch internet counts since from what it sounds like they're paying for NSO themself.
Norman Osborn's point is very important here, saying the poll is vague and then saying "If they muck with your bank account that's under your name, then that's considered legally big no no" has some irony as it's also vague, as one could argue threatening your offspring not to buy what they want with their bank account or else be left for dead in terms of college is still mucking with their bank account.

Norman Osborn's point is very important here, saying the poll is vague and then saying "If they muck with your bank account that's under your name, then that's considered legally big no no" has some irony as it's also vague, as one could argue threatening your offspring not to buy what they want with their bank account or else be left for dead in terms of college is still mucking with their bank account.
If they actually did that then you could probably get away with suing them, just get a damn good lawyer.

If they actually did that then you could probably get away with suing them, just get a damn good lawyer.
Oh they're actually going to do it all right, this being why I posted that.

Anyway the more important topic which this thread is supposed to cover is what others' parents did that bothered them, so let's keep going to that.

My dad has serious emotional insecurities that end up emotionally hurting everyone, and he's stubborn too.

I didn't really wanna bring this up here, but I feel like I have to talk to someone about it.

My mom has a bit of a drinking problem. And by a bit, I mean that I suspect that she's at least somewhat intoxicated at all times (probably inaccurate, but still). When she drinks, she gains the mentality of a 6 year old, being loud and obnoxious and all around childish. It's starting to become a bit of a problem

They took my door off the hinges once I thought that was pretty immature

I'm on my Iceland trip. I deleted the translator apps on my iPhone, but since my dad removed the App Store from my phone, I can't redownload it to see what things in Icelandic mean.

My mom is still suffering from an inferiority complex and/or extreme sibling rivalry. In her 60s. 😐

Back