Mind Control

If you were offered the ability to mind control people, would you take it?

• Yes

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Yes, but only to a mild extent/being able to influence their thoughts mildly but not entirely

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Prefer not to say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nate Jacobs

WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
The Shadow Prince
Self-explanatory

I trust myself not to wind up using this for evil so yes because there are some situations in which mind controlling someone can save someone's life

I'd use it to show people how to experience things from other people's perspectives / be empathetic. I wouldn't want to straight up change opinions or brainwash.

I answered with no, and the reason for that is because I have no desire to control other people's will in any way. That being said, I do think it'd be nice if people could willingly project their thoughts/feelings to me so I could understand them better, and maybe it'd be good to be able to do that the other way around. Forcibly controlling someone's mind, though? No.

Even if you wanted to use it with good purposes (trying to ease someone's mind, for example, or to change someone to be better to those around them), it can become very easily abusable and it slips into the question if such power should be granted to anyone. Absolute power tends to corrupt absolutely, after all, and there's no more absolute a power than being able to control someone's mind. People's stances on morality or what is considered a good state of mind also vary enough that there's no way to guarantee anyone with that power, such as myself, wouldn't just be forcing their own moral stance onto other people.

I could see maybe it being therapeutic and beneficial in the case that it is consented to by the party that is being controlled, with very clear terms and boundaries expressed. Maybe it could be used to calm someone down from a panic attack, or something like that. Any other use case, and it simply slips too uncomfortably close to dangerous, controlling territory, and there are enough people who exhibit controlling behaviors without literal mind control as another tool in their toolbox.

Of course I would, I don't care if it's morally correct, lemme brainwash someone into giving me a job where I still have to do something but I end up getting paid more than what that job would normally pay (not talking something crazy like 'collecting the shopping carts at the grocery store and I get paid $1 million per year for it' but something more 'making $50k per year regardless of the level of work I brainwash someone into giving me')

i will not stand for this injustice against Patrick Star

Anyways I picked "Yes but only mildly" because it would probably be the best option if I actually wanted to change someone's mind without raising suspicion that I am doing it.

In this case tho, what does "mildly" mean? Like influencing their general emotions and thoughts but no specific thoughts or a hypnosis thing where you persuade someone by lowering their ability to resist your demands or some third not-weird-and/or-creepy-thing I'm overlooking?

Anyways I picked "Yes but only mildly" because it would probably be the best option if I actually wanted to change someone's mind without raising suspicion that I am doing it.

In this case tho, what does "mildly" mean? Like influencing their general emotions and thoughts but no specific thoughts or a hypnosis thing where you persuade someone by lowering their ability to resist your demands or some third not-weird-and/or-creepy-thing I'm overlooking?
Those first two describe it pretty well.

The mythbusters say that nobody can be hypnotized against their own wil, so...

Hypnosis isn't really mind control in the first place, very common misconception brought about by fictional depictions of brainwashing conflating the two. In fact, hypnosis is a state of focused attention and suggestibility, and yes, as you say, it needs to be voluntarily entered and you will not do anything that is against your moral compass in it. Hypnotized guests in shows about it will say that they were completely aware and in control at the time, and say that it mainly feels like whatever the hypnotist suggests sounds like a good idea at the time.

It is, in fact, currently used as a potential aid with therapy, though it risks the creation of false memories.

As a result, I wouldn't call it mind control, since your therapist doesn't actually have any control over your mind, serving more as a guide rather than a remote control. Think of hypnotherapy sessions as like little hikes, and the therapist is the person guiding you through the hike. You could theoretically deviate and disobey the therapist, but you probably won't because everything they suggest sounds like a good idea. This is not to mention that the hike comes to an end, just like hypnosis does on its own.

The closest analogue to real-world hypnosis in the Mario series (despite what MatPat says) is in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, in which Luigi is placed into a suggestible state to believe, in that moment, that he is Mario. He went there voluntarily, and he could act against it if he wanted to, but he doesn't because in that moment, he wants to believe he is Mario so he can progress. It's even used similarly to real world hypnosis in that it's an aid for his anxiety at that moment (and the Magikoopa even suggests it specifically for that purpose).

Anyway, this is a long-winded way of saying hypnosis is kind of irrelevant to the question being asked, since hypnosis and mind control simply aren't the same thing. I could have answered that more succinctly, but I find hypnosis a fascinating topic and wanted to use the opportunity to talk about it a little bit. It's fun to research into, and it's also fun to watch a show about it live.

The closest analogue that Mario has to mind control is in Super Paper Mario, specifically what Nastasia does to any of the recruited minions and to Luigi, turning him to Mr. L. Of course, the mind control presented there stays for a while through Nastasia inventing an entire alter ego for Luigi, replacing his actual personality and thus making him subservient to Count Bleck throughout the story. I'd imagine the thread is more so going for more direct control through actually actively being able to change the way someone's brain functions on the spot.

Reactions: zel
I say yes, I could make a utopia where no one ever kills, and everyone is always happy.
Or more likely, I'd use it to commit several crimes, and play millions of video games.
Or even more likely, I'd get it then be too scared to use it.

Or more likely, I'd use it to commit several crimes, and play millions of video games.

i mean you could do that without mind control

just saying

Back