Mario Boards End of Year Showdown

Which game do you vote for? (change vote in each round)

• Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Mario Party Superstars

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • First game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Second game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sir Pentious

I have a problem
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
Mario games compete in a bracket tournament to see which one comes out on top! 15 games were randomly selected to face off against each other. Each round lasts 2 days (if you think that's not enough we can change it) with a total of 15 rounds. Each matchup will function like a shroomfest debate. Advocate for your chosen game and vote in the poll!

Disregard the poll I screwed it up

Last edited:
To be honest I'm not sure this is going to work very well... Randomly selecting games to pit against each other results in, well, this. It's the first round and already we have a platformer from 2002 going up against a party game from 2021. So you can kind of get why this doesn't work already, right? They're two completely different genres with almost two decades of time between them. So really this just turns more into "what game do you like better" than any sort of actual debate. That's why 'Shroomfests are always opposing concepts.

Like, if I were to actually try to participate in a debate on these two topics, it's hard to come up with any solid talking points. Gameplay? Well, these games inherently have vastly different gameplay, so it just loops back around to which one you personally like more rather than necessarily having opinions on why one game does better than the other. Graphics? Superstars is obviously going to blow Sunshine out of the water here, it has a 19-year advantage on it, not to mention three consoles. Story? Well, I'd argue Sunshine wins here, but only because Superstars doesn't have one at all (which it doesn't really need, it's a party game).

Also, 'Shroomfests specifically avoid being based on Mario-related subjects to avoid things getting too heated since this is a Mario community and people are more likely to have strong opinions on things. I'm not saying that you outright can't do a Mario-themed debate, but a bit of food for thought.

To be honest I'm not sure this is going to work very well... Randomly selecting games to pit against each other results in, well, this. It's the first round and already we have a platformer from 2002 going up against a party game from 2021. So you can kind of get why this doesn't work already, right? They're two completely different genres with almost two decades of time between them. So really this just turns more into "what game do you like better" than any sort of actual debate. That's why 'Shroomfests are always opposing concepts.

Like, if I were to actually try to participate in a debate on these two topics, it's hard to come up with any solid talking points. Gameplay? Well, these games inherently have vastly different gameplay, so it just loops back around to which one you personally like more rather than necessarily having opinions on why one game does better than the other. Graphics? Superstars is obviously going to blow Sunshine out of the water here, it has a 19-year advantage on it, not to mention three consoles. Story? Well, I'd argue Sunshine wins here, but only because Superstars doesn't have one at all (which it doesn't really need, it's a party game).

Also, 'Shroomfests specifically avoid being based on Mario-related subjects to avoid things getting too heated since this is a Mario community and people are more likely to have strong opinions on things. I'm not saying that you outright can't do a Mario-themed debate, but a bit of food for thought.
Yeah I see where you're coming from
Should I scrap the idea entirely or just rework the brackets?

expanding on the bracket rework idea, i think that an "end of year showdown" should only have games from this year
That defeats the purpose of reworking the bracket to make the games comparable though, you could maybe argue that Mario Party and WarioWare are similar enough to hold a debate on but Bowser's Fury and Super Rush aren't going to work well with them or each other.

The bracket has been reworked, so...

The new matchup is
Super Mario Sunshine vs Super Mario Galaxy
voting ends

React with Thinking 🤔 for Mario Sunshine and shocked 😲 for Mario Galaxy
(cause the poll is broken)​

Last edited:
mario sunshine is gonna get obliterated but i like it better even if it may be less fun so there
the npcs and world genuinely kept me coming back for a surprising amount of time and galaxy doesnt really have that and ive kind of ran out of stars to collect on it that id actually want to collect

mario galaxy is more fun

The winner is
Super Mario Galaxy!

The next matchup is
Super Mario 64 vs Super Mario Odyssey
voting ends

React with Thinking 🤔 for Mario 64 and shocked 😲 for Mario Odyssey
(extending the time limit cause I forgot to add reactions)

Last edited:
The winner is
Super Mario Odyssey!

The next matchup is
New Super Mario Bros Wii vs New Super Mario Bros U
voting ends

React with Thinking 🤔 for NSMBW and shocked 😲 for NSMBU

(sorry for late update, I was sick)​

Back