Sound doesn't switch automatically

Grape

The baddest of the bunch, the villain of the vine!
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
MiracleDinner
When I plug in or take out headphones it doesn't automatically switch. (Win10)

Are you using Realtek HD audio manager?

1615498787707.png

are you also trying to change through here?

1615499103713.png

I can change using this interface but my problem is that i currently have to do this manually every time i change between headphones and just letting my pc play out loud, which is very annoying as i do that a lot and if i forget it could end up in things playing out loud at high volume in very bad situations, so ideally i'd like to fix this so that whenever i plug in or take out headphones it automatically changes. it worked a few days ago but then it suddenly stopped changing automatically and i haven't been able to find a solution thus far.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the most recent Windows update. Have you tried updating your audio driver? Or uninstalling and reinstalling your audio driver?

Do you have something like "Realtek Audio Manager" installed? I've had a similar issue (it won't swap over unless i press a specific text prompt that pops up in notifications), and I think there may be some settings that you can fiddle with to see if it changes anything. If you do have it, open it up and click the little gear icon near the box in the bottom left-ish, that opened some settings for me which seemed to recreate the issue you have (specifically, ticking the top one).
Screenshot 2021-03-12 092555.png

Do you have something like "Realtek Audio Manager" installed? I've had a similar issue (it won't swap over unless i press a specific text prompt that pops up in notifications), and I think there may be some settings that you can fiddle with to see if it changes anything. If you do have it, open it up and click the little gear icon near the box in the bottom left-ish, that opened some settings for me which seemed to recreate the issue you have (specifically, ticking the top one).
View attachment 10363
I don't have "Realtek Audio Manager" but I have "Realtek Audio Console". I don't see anything in there that can help me though

1615581349989.png

1615581375511.png

hmm, alright. in that case, i'd probably echo BLOF's suggestion to update and/or uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers. you can probably find a download of them from the website of your computer's maufacturer (i.e. if you own a HP, go to HP's website, if you own Lenovo, go to Lenovo, etc).

Back