What I think Nintendo is preparing for the next 3D Super Mario game

John Bros.

Goomba
Pronouns
He/him
The last 3D main entries in the Super Mario series were Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Odyssey. Two successful games which are also the two most different 3D Super Mario games, 3DW being the most linear and Odyssey being the most open 3D game. It seems that the main flaw in both games is an extreme approach in gameplay : 3DW is too focused on platforming and lacks of exploration (for example, the hub worlds containing the courses are underdeveloped and don't match with their courses themes) and Odyssey is too focused on exploration and lacks of platforming (for example, most of the platforming of each Kingdom can be found in the bonus platforming areas, which are very abstract and not easily accessible).

Since there is a lack of exploration in 3DW and a lack of platforming in Odyssey, I think Nintendo will design the next Super Mario game (which is currently being named Odyssey 2) as Super Mario 3D World X Super Mario Odyssey, and I think Bowser's Fury (3DW's extension for the Switch) is a first draft to experiment with that concept before implementing it in the next brand-new game.

So, I think this brand-new game will me made of 2 layers.

There will be many new Odyssey-style Kingdoms, designed in the same way, but this time, these Kingdoms will act as explorable hub-worlds to many 3DW-style courses. What I mean is that the Kingdoms will replace 3DW's 12 Worlds as level containers.

And, unlike Super Mario Odyssey, I think the 3DW-style courses will be easily accessible in the Kingdoms. They will be easy to spot from a distance, like BOTW's shrines for example. That's why I believe there will be some kind of high towers spread throughout each Kingdom. Each tower will be a gate to enter a course level. On the top of each tower, there could be a big number (the number of the course) and a flagpole (with Bower's black flag when the course is not clear yet, and Mario's red flag when the course is clear).

The game could be played in this way.

1. KINGDOM EXPLORATION AND MOONS HUNT :
First, the player enters the new Kingdom-World and enjoys exploring it for the first time, going around and using the wonderful Odyssey engine to jump around and collect Moons which are hidden in every corner of the Kingdom, like Odyssey. He also enjoys the world-building, with local population, stores, currency, touristic spots, just like a tourist.

2. PLATFORMING COURSES AND RACE TO THE POLE :
Second, the player enters one of the towers he spotted from a distance, through a door similar to the « hat doors » in Odyssey, and is immediately taken to a sub area that is based on its Kingdom's theme, in a less abstract way than Odyssey. He enjoys jumping in very challenging levels and make the best time, perhaps in multiplayer like in 3DW. Once he cleared the course, the flag will appear on the top of the tower when he comes back to the Kingdom.

That's how I think and hope the next Super Mario game will be, a balance between the genius of 3DW's and Odyssey's level designs. The Galaxy games already reached that balance, but in a different way, I think. I believe this approach would satisfy both casual players and children (who could enjoy just exploring the Kingdoms and collecting the Moons through easy platforming) and core gamers (who would especially enjoy the challenging courses and also enjoy the exploration as a nice break between these courses, a break that was missing in 3DW I believe).

I look forward to seeing more about Bowser's Fury now, to see if they are going to have an explorable « Cat Kingdom » where the lighthouses will act as gates to many obstacle courses…

Thank you for reading ! Is that how you think the next 3D Super Mario game will be or do you have different expectations ?

Anyway, long live Super Mario games !

In my opinion, those Mario games were pretty successful. If Nintendo keeps making these, they would sell really good. as for your idea, I think Nintendo might be working on something like this, but overall, it would be nice if we'd have this sort of game

I think Nintendo should give Super Mario Odyssey 2 a more 64-style approach. I think Odyssey took it a little far with its linearity by secluding areas if you haven't completed an objective yet. I think the next game should let us go wherever we want from the start, and complete objectives just if we want. Heck, I am currently planning a hack for Odyssey to fix its flaws and adds content called Super Mario Odyssey +. The kingdoms will be open from the start, there's one objective in each kingdom (e. g. Cascade - Multi Moon atop the Falls, Sand - The Hole in the Desert, Wooded - Defend the Secret Flower Field, etc.) like in Mario 64, the moon count will be 360 moons so there's no simple ones like, ground pound this spot, or just find it floating, so each kingdom will have an estimate of 24 moons per kingdom (something like that)

Eh, personally, I prefer games specialized in a style rather than try to be both at the same time like what Galaxy did. I prefer 3D World and Odyssey over the Galaxy games for that very reason.

I was replaying Odyssey the last few days - especially the Luncheon Kingdom which is one of my favorites - and I got really interested in the way they use checkpoint flagpoles in that game. They are spread all around the Kingdom and once you reach them and put the Mario flag on it, you can teleport there directly from the map. And another interesting thing, they come of course after some light challenge (platforming or boss).

So I really would like Nintendo to move the red and blue doors (leading to bonus platforming eras) to the flagpoles. In that way, the player would have to do some gentle platforming challenge in the Kingdom to access the flagpole and the course, which would build up on that platforming challenge. The platforming challenge in the kingdom on the way to the flagpole-course would then act as the introduction to the course's main mechanic in a safe environment.

And, regarding Bowser's Fury, it seems that this is what they are up to, with some chain-links leading to the first lighthouse, which may contain the first course(s).

So here is a drawing of my vision, if the first Kingdom is the Mushroom Kingdom for example. Just like with the shrines in BOTW, you could complete the courses in any order, as long as you manage to access them of course.

Attachments

• A World in Super Mario Odyssey 2.jpg
    A World in Super Mario Odyssey 2.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 175
I think Nintendo should give Super Mario Odyssey 2 a more 64-style approach. I think Odyssey took it a little far with its linearity by secluding areas if you haven't completed an objective yet. I think the next game should let us go wherever we want from the start, and complete objectives just if we want. Heck, I am currently planning a hack for Odyssey to fix its flaws and adds content called Super Mario Odyssey +. The kingdoms will be open from the start, there's one objective in each kingdom (e. g. Cascade - Multi Moon atop the Falls, Sand - The Hole in the Desert, Wooded - Defend the Secret Flower Field, etc.) like in Mario 64, the moon count will be 360 moons so there's no simple ones like, ground pound this spot, or just find it floating, so each kingdom will have an estimate of 24 moons per kingdom (something like that)
One think mario odyssey 2 should fix is the exploration in it. Fast fact, SMO actually counts as an open-world game, even though its technically not.

Yes, a truly open-world Super Mario game is yet to come. I don't know if I would prefer a dozen of mini open-worlds or just one huge World with all the different mini-worlds stuck together inside. Of course, they could do a single open-world about the Mushroom Kingdom and the surrounding regions (Sarasaland, Bowser's Land, Yoshi's Island…), with Peach's Castle and Toad Town in the middle and fields and hills around, exactly like Hyrule in BOTW. In that case, I would be very excited to see how they would integrate a lot of platforms and holes directly on the map. And, of course, they could spread about 120 flag-towers in the world (with one 3D World style course inside) and the goal would be to reconquer in any order all of these towers (which would be very protected by enemies of course) by clearing their courses, in order to kick Bowser out of every region so he has to flee back in his region before we fight him there. I would love to play such a game, but only if exploring the open-world doesn't get boring quickly.

I know they won't do my idea but I'd really love for Wario to be a boss again.

Anyway on note of your idea,
I think it'd be cool if Timed Flagpole Courses were just exclusive Missions and not the basis of the game.

Although, one thing I know for certain is as long as the next 3D Mario prioritizes platforming I'll likely be happy with whatever else is thrown in or out. (ie: Reason I don't love SM64 is it was very lackluster in platforming)
But eh, I'm no longer worried about that.. they've been doing great with their galaxy and 3D series games.

Last edited:
I know they won't do my idea but I'd really love for Wario to be a boss again.

Anyway on note of your idea,
I think it'd be cool if Timed Flagpole Courses were just exclusive Missions and not the basis of the game.

Although, one thing I know for certain is as long as the next 3D Mario prioritizes platforming I'll likely be happy with whatever else is thrown in or out. (ie: Reason I don't love SM64 is it was very lackluster in platforming)
But eh, I'm no longer worried about that.. they've been doing great with their galaxy and 3D series games.

Oh yes, I would love to see Wario as a main antagonist again, or at least as an important boss in one of the Kingdoms / Worlds. I think that's still possible. I remember reading in another board a very interesting idea to reintroduce Wario : make a Las Vegas style kingdom and have Wario be the boss of it. I loved that idea. It's easy to imagine having to climb to the top of a huge tower in the middle of the city to fight Wario in his penthouse !

Also, I agree with you on platforming as a priority. Mario 64 is very dear to me but I must say I only really enjoy the platforming levels, like Bowser's and Tick-Tock clock. I'm glad that, with each new entry, Nintendo never forgot to include a good amount of platforming in every 3D game, even in Odyssey, which still have a lot of very interesting platforming sections in the main areas and in the bonus areas. I only wish that you could replay the bonus areas quickly once you discovered them, I don't like having to search for an area that I like all around a big map. Actually, this is where my idea of "flagpole-towers" (with a course inside) comes from.

Back