Should I buy a new laptop?

London Parris

Retired until further notice
Banned User
MarioWiki
White Lightning
My laptop is very slow and I cannot stand it anymore. Plus it is old as dirt. Should I buy a new one?

When did you get the laptop anyway? What do you use your laptop for?

You can buy a good second hand one off Craigslist or a computer store that sells refurbished computers.

Obviously IDK what your laptop specs are, but if it still has mechanical hard drive, I'd recommend getting an SSD because that can easily speed up an old and slow computer for a lot cheaper than buying a whole new laptop.

If you want one and can afford one, sure.

Alternatives you can look into would be building a PC that you can upgrade later. Or a tablet computer which can be more convenient / practical than a laptop for some people.

You could also look into a laptop brands like Metabox which let you can upgrade later on. So that's best of both worlds (Hannah Montana).

When did you get the laptop anyway? What do you use your laptop for?

I had gotten it in 2017. It was at the time seven years old as a hand me down from my mother. I like using my laptop with gaming. I can't even play The Elder Scrolls: V Skyrim without lag issues and that is the only game that will play halfway smoothly.

You probably should get a new one then. Other people have advice you can follow off of.

Yeah probably so. But is there a way to speed it up before I can reconsider a new one? And with tight money, I can't really afford a new one. So I'll have to be on my phone and it runs at least ten times better than my computer.

Probably not, no. I'm not a techy: I don't know if you can overclock a laptop.

You could use a small OS like Puppy Linux or Very Small Linux to get some last bits of oomph out of your laptop. Does mean you'd be stuck with games that run on Linux.

Back