Gauging Popular Opinions (Current: DiC's Mario Cartoons)

What is your opinion on the Mario animated series by DiC (Super Show, Bros. 3, World)?

• I love the animated series for what they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are things I like about the animated series, enough for me to like them.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Even though there are some things I like about them, I still don't care for them.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I like the animated series only for its cheesy value.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I consider the animated series to be a waste of time and energy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really wonder why the heck they even bother with the mouth animation if they aren't going to be voiced at all. It always looks so awkward and stupid in cutscenes like this where characters' mouths are moving and there's text, but there's nothing coming out of it. I've had the same problem with Wario Land: Shake It's cutscenes.

Super_Mario_Bros_Super_Show_Title.PNG
TAoSMB3_Title_Card.png
SMW_title_card.png

A new poll is finally up! This time, it's about the opinion on DiC's Mario cartoons, which had some memorable moments, such as the infamous and oft-referenced Mama Luigi. Notably, the cartoons took a lot of liberties from its source material and is also cheaply made, resulting in a lot of animation errors. Despite this, the cartoons might have a sort of enjoyability for younger children (or maybe adults too), whether it's nostalgia or not.

Funny story, but I wanted to take a week break after my 25th poll to get some other stuff done, but decided I should press on for a bit more. I did submit the poll earlier, so basically while I did get a week's break, it's not for the reason I imagined.

Thank you for reading.

The cartoon is extremely cheesy to watch thanks to its rather bad writing and poor animation. Still, it's an enjoyable type of bad, and I find it a guilty pleasure show. I like how much Mario stuff the cartoons reference, such as the sound effects, music, etc, and I like a lot of the made-up scenarios such as pasta sauce being a strategic resource. I think it fits squarely on how stupid and weird the Mario series is, though it's also sorta lazy when they base things off prior properties as well. Still, this cartoon makes me wish there's a newer one. If Sonic can have a cartoon in this era, I really don't see why Mario can't. In fact, I think an 11 minute episode format for a Mario property is far more suitable than a movie, since Mario ignores continuity in general which you can get away with in a television show, which is exactly what the Mario cartoons do.

Also was behind a lot of memes, the voice actors behind were pretty good and had a fair bit of quotable lines. King Koopa's voice actor I particularly liked.

I FELL FOR HOURS!

I can't really vote on the poll. I'm geniunely fond of the show, for both its cheesiness and the fact it's a Mario IP and that its bad writing is entertaining enough to keep me hooked. The option that says, "I like it only for its cheesy value" ignores the other factors that come into play that makes me like the show.

The songs are horrible, the writing is hit and miss and animation is batshit bad with some characters look ugly as hell, but it's also super quotable and cheesy and the concepts are hilarious lots of times so I don't know what to vote.

"MAHRRIO! WHEREVER Y ARE! HYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAULp!!!!!!!!!"

I feel while it's a bad cartoon, it wouldn't have the same appeal if it was its own IP or another IP. Somehow the campiness and the low quality can jive together. Still, it doesn't seem Nintendo is too fond of those cartoons, so they just pretend the cartoons don't exist. Still, though, Nintendo should try to make another show of it. We can all it the New Super Mario Bros. Super Show, in a nod to the older cartoons as how New Super Mario Bros. is some retread of the older platformers. But unlike the old show, this new one is definitely faithful to the franchise, none of these weird human characters (or sadly, those weird Toads, but that's a price we have to pay) and terrible songs.

A lot of the Bros' personality came from these shows and that makes me not know what to vote for even more.

I don't know what to vote for because all three of the Mario cartoons fall into the 'so bad, it's good' category for me.

The fourth option ("I like the animated series only for its cheesy value. ") is meant to mean that, since I wanted to word it a bit better than merely being called "so bad it's good".

I can't really vote on the poll. I'm geniunely fond of the show, for both its cheesiness and the fact it's a Mario IP and that its bad writing is entertaining enough to keep me hooked. The option that says, "I like it only for its cheesy value" ignores the other factors that come into play that makes me like the show.

Wouldn't the second option (" There are things I like about the animated series, enough for me to like them.") be more in-line with what you are going for?

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
I thought the cartoons were enjoyable even with the many animation errors in the cartoons, especially in 3 and World. (I also thought the live action segments in the Super Show were enjoyable). Some songs made for the shows can be either decent or just straight up awful. I remember that the shows also loved to use puns a lot.

I always wonder how a Mario anime/cartoon based on any of the Mario RPG games would turn out.

Last edited:
"Everyone thought King Koopa had left the Mushroom Kingdom. But then, his Doomship attacked! King Koopa was back! And with the greatest dangers ever known: his Koopa Kids!" *cue Bowser being flung by the Koopalings to the other side of the ship*

They're horrible shows. But that Mario 3 cartoon opening is enough to make me like them anyway.

Back