Amazing Super Mario Flash 2 level

Koopa con Carne

call me Hot Lips, 'cause i'm a one-shot wonder
MarioWiki
Koopa con Carne
While you guys were out there playing that newfangled Super Mario Maker 2 game, I went and played another Mario editor-based game, Super Mario Flash 2. It's a decade-old browser game that used to have a pretty active community around 2011-2012, but it eventually died out, possibly in the wake of Nintendo's own official game Super Mario Maker that took things up a hundred notches more than this little fanmade game could.

Still, upon going to the game's level portal, I happened to see that there was a course posted just a little more than a week ago. Since it was the only one in the "New" section, I decided to give it a go.

And yeah, it's pretty fucking incredible. It's a city-themed level whose design unexpectedly blew me away. The creator knew what an ideal city course needs to have: bustling life, a lot of running to and fro to get stuff done, and an exemplary progression all throughout--for example, after a particularly difficult section where you jump from building to building carrying items, you enter a pipe that leads you to a slightly more laid-back section that plays just like a classic Mario level, but slowly evolves into another parkour run.

It's not all perfect, however. You're going to scream from the top of your lungs because the enemy placement can be simply jarring in some areas. You can't catch a break after jumping off a girder with a Spike Top because you have to avoid two other Spike Tops on the next platform. Enemies are simply everywhere and I admit I hated it. Another flaw is the fact that the game's awfully improvised tileset can make it confusing to navigate through the level. Despite these honestly baffling shortcomings, I felt compelled to finish the level still, simply because I wanted to see what more it has offer. The fact that I brushed off flaws that would otherwise be dealbreakers is proof of how well constructed this stage is.

I encourage you to try it and see for yourself. Follow this link (pouetpu-games.com, the game's official site) and open the level editor. Click the LOAD CODE option and paste this code into the white box. After you load the code, you can play the level. I suggest turning the volume way low because the audio of this game can be earrapey. You can move around with the left and right arrow keys, jump with the up arrow key, pick things up with X, and use stored items with SPACE. You can't run--the controls are much tighter here than in usual Mario games.

Tip: You can use the key as a platform.

The level has no ratings due to the community's inactivity, and unpopular levels get deleted from the portal after a while. I couldn't store the code in this thread because it counts as an "invalid message". Don't miss out!

Last edited:
And before I am suspected of self-promotion, I wouldn't bother to write an entire essay for my own levels; I would let other people decide if they're good or bad.

Also, I figured I can just attach the code to this post as a .txt file. Now it's safe.

Attachments

• newdonkmarioflash.txt
    109.2 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Back