Anyone here play garry's mod and M&S at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic games?

Punk Hazard Queen

Caesar Clown’s wife
Pronouns
She/her
I was on steam workshop looking to see if anyone imported the Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic games models. But couldn't find any. I was a bit disappointed, but it's not surprising since it's not a really popular game. So I was wondering, does anyone on here play both games that can import models?

The Mario women have had their models imported but they're not super interesting unlike the men heheheheheh

But me and @Ray Trace are both Gmod addicts and our resume includes ragdoll packs. Idk if you want a ragdoll or playermodel though but I can do either, I just rather have ragdolls.

Our main issue is just sustaining focus on completing/expanding to-do lists though, we take forever to want to continue on a project while starting others. We have some Dr. Mario World models as ragdolls but they're not released because we're lazy bums.

I know how to make fully functional ragdolls, like my sister said. :)

20200420030842_1.jpg

All my BL OCs? Started from nothing, ported to Gmod with much success. It's time-consuming but it's totally do-able!

I think with a little tweaking, the ragdoll process can be sped up. The trickiest part is making facial expressions, as those are vertex animated and require the same head for all models, but otherwise, shouldn't be too difficult to get all of them done as they can share sequences, joint constraints, collision models, and pupil movement.

The Mario women have had their models imported but they're not super interesting unlike the men heheheheheh

But me and @Ray Trace are both Gmod addicts and our resume includes ragdoll packs. Idk if you want a ragdoll or playermodel though but I can do either, I just rather have ragdolls.

Our main issue is just sustaining focus on completing/expanding to-do lists though, we take forever to want to continue on a project while starting others. We have some Dr. Mario World models as ragdolls but they're not released because we're lazy bums.
Ragdolls is all I want, it doesn't have to be playermodels. I specifically wanted Waluigi's many outfits from m&s at the tokyo 2020 olympic games to play around with in gmod. For reasons...

We all want trunks versions of all characters so I won't judge ya.

Yeah, someone did extract it. All we need to do is create several things. Adjust the pivots on the finger bones (or else the finger poses WILL bend them wrong), curl the fingers a bit. Then, scale all of them to fit the size of the Gmod environment (like relative to other Waluigi ragdolls). Then, in no particular order
  • Create a .qc file that stores model information especially jointconstraints for ragdoll physics. That requires a physic model, which is an invisible bunch of hitboxes. Need joint values for the clavicle, shoulder, arms, hands, wrist, thighs, knees, ankles, toes, and head (maybe neck?). The .qc file is also responsible for the eye movement, and that's annoying to get correct due to the pivots on your attachment never facing the correct direction.
  • Create facial expressions, probably 20 of them as I did with the Ultra Smash models. This one is pretty tedious as it involves duping meshes and adjusting them. Given how pretty much all meshes on Models Resource are triangulated, making symmetrical flexes is a pain. Facial expressions are stored in the qc file.
  • Create bodygroups, not too hard, unless you're working with Smash's way of swapping out facial expressions then all that exporting adds up.
  • Create .vmt files that deal with how the material shows up as well as give the model important details including specularity and bumpmapping. This part is tricky because Mario & Sonic likely uses a system closer to PBR rendering (most models on the Switch so far is closer to that) while Source's rendering is just horrendously dated. Usually I'd work with a diffuse/albedo, ambient occlusion (ao), normal, gloss/roughness, and Source uses only like diffuse, normal, and specularity, and its handling of emissive maps is... wonky at least from my experience. Anything metal requires an environment map that simulates metallness, which gets screwed up under dark lighting since it seems to ignore darkness.
  • Create .vta files so .vmts can read them.
I think separate Waluigi's doable via bodygroups, depends if all those textures exceed Source's 30-ish material limit (if you've used my Smash 4 Mario ragdolls, it's why the recolors are separate ragdolls) but if not that means separate models but I do hope the face mesh is separated from the rest of the body just for the sake of facial flexes acting consistent throughout all models.

Anyway, this eats up probably 6-10 hours of work on a day.

@Twirlerena so a bit of news, dunno good or bad, just a heads-up

I managed to extract Mario and Luigi from the game and I was carried away making ragdolls just for them, which I've made ragdolls for surfing, swimming for Mario and Luigi and did equestrian for Mario. I stopped after equestrian Mario, due to needing to work on a commission and running out of time to create equestrian Luigi, however but I do think the ragdoll set will benefit to have other characters. Also another upside is that I have Waluigi's prop files so I can get his surfboard, something the Models Resource likely lacks.

The good news is that I've been able to create 35ish facial expressions for these characters, but I've also successfully separated the head from the rest of the mesh, so I can easily reuse morphers for the rest of the costumes and so the facial expressions have really nice consistency. I mean this translates to Waluigi having a good blend of facial expressions.

The other news, maybe bad, is that I've made ragdolls to scale with the *big* variant of the characters of the original Super Mario ragdolls pack because I think the big variant is closer to real-world scaling (not perfect though). I tried to make them scale to the "normal" size ones since people seem to like the "normal" size (see the Mario Odyssey ragdolls) but the .vta (the file that's responsible for the facial expression) loves to weld vertices within a threshold I find way too big and screw up the shape of the eyeball (so eyelid bodygroups sometimes get pierced by the welded eyeball) so it's making resizing ragdolls more of a pain than it should be.

Anyway I know I probably *should* have just downloaded from Models resource instead of going through that trouble but having the directly ripped model is always nice. However there's some work to be done for ripped models; their vertices aren't welded especially when there's a UV edge (so it creates overlapping vertices that interferes with the appearance of the mesh by giving it a visible seam which you can technically fix through copy-pasting normal values). I suppose the Models Resource ones already "fixed" them. There's also the textures, which require some filtering as all important textures like the normal maps, the ambient occlusion, the roughness maps, all contained in two files and stored in the RGB channels while the default diffuse.

So anyway I'm not working on Waluigi but I guess updates are nice to have. I just don't know how much time I can squeeze working on Waluigi while trying to finish Dr. Mario World and also work on a commission and also just on a hobby for my selfish benefits.

The other news, maybe bad, is that I've made ragdolls to scale with the *big* variant of the characters of the original Super Mario ragdolls pack because I think the big variant is closer to real-world scaling (not perfect though). I tried to make them scale to the "normal" size ones since people seem to like the "normal" size (see the Mario Odyssey ragdolls) but the .vta (the file that's responsible for the facial expression) loves to weld vertices within a threshold I find way too big and screw up the shape of the eyeball (so eyelid bodygroups sometimes get pierced by the welded eyeball) so it's making resizing ragdolls more of a pain than it should be.
Thanks for the update! I'm quoting this specifically just to tell you that I'm okay with the models big. I use that size from the super mario ragdoll pack the most. I agree that the big variant would be the more accurate size if they existed in real life. Waluigi to me is just too short in the normal size ragdoll.

So more news @walugurl

ggcpArh.jpg

dOL4wSw.jpg

I'm still working on Mario and Luigi ragdolls and it's really hard work. I spent a lot of time polishing them up and getting acquainted with materials and stuff. They look pretty nice.

How this translates to Waluigi? Well I noticed earlier, before this update that the ragdolls look kinda pasty, so I applied a bit of reddish vertex coloration but just recently, I used a lightwarp ramp texture to accentuate the skin tone better. Additionally, I managed to get the eyerefract shader working, so the eyes look better in-game, not flat like they do with the normal eyes shader. These tweaks will translate to how I'll set up Waluigi in the future.

I also am closer to starting on Waluigi as I've made the following:

Mario - Surfing (big, small variants)
Mario - Swimming (big, small variants)
Mario - Equestrian
Mario - Track [tank top+sports shoes]
Luigi - Surfing (big, small variants; the small one was a huge pain and I *think* even for "big" size I still have to adjust the vertices around the swimsuit collar so the compiler doesn't merge them with the neck)
Luigi - Swimming (big, small variants)
Luigi - Equestrian
Luigi - Track [tank top + sports shoes]
Luigi - Karate
Surfboards

I'm not sure if I should go around mucking with Luigi's collision models too as I'm not entirely happy with how the shoulders/clavicles can twist too much (even though it's explicit the .qc doesn't allow for that flexibility...), but I'm kinda fed up making micro adjustments to apply over all ragdoll sets after tinkering and tinkering with materials).

Anyway I do plan on releasing Mario and Luigi once I'm able to get the other track variants, gymnastic (looks like track but barefoot), fencing, default clothes, and whatever else I missed. But goodness ravioli, there's a lot of repetitive work involved.... 2-3 hours for one ragdoll, more if vertex merging is not being cooperative..., a bit more if I catch some rigging problems, and that doesn't involve me going over what I've done and redoing the materials....

dunno how boxing will work but if bonemerge does work....

also need archery, skateboard and hoverboard props if I can make them (I know I can make skateboards)

Yes I noticed you commented on a Gmod screenshot my sister made a while ago. Yes I can get Waluigi but I need to finish up the brothers first....

So more news @walugurl

ggcpArh.jpg

dOL4wSw.jpg

I'm still working on Mario and Luigi ragdolls and it's really hard work. I spent a lot of time polishing them up and getting acquainted with materials and stuff. They look pretty nice.

How this translates to Waluigi? Well I noticed earlier, before this update that the ragdolls look kinda pasty, so I applied a bit of reddish vertex coloration but just recently, I used a lightwarp ramp texture to accentuate the skin tone better. Additionally, I managed to get the eyerefract shader working, so the eyes look better in-game, not flat like they do with the normal eyes shader. These tweaks will translate to how I'll set up Waluigi in the future.

I also am closer to starting on Waluigi as I've made the following:

Mario - Surfing (big, small variants)
Mario - Swimming (big, small variants)
Mario - Equestrian
Mario - Track [tank top+sports shoes]
Luigi - Surfing (big, small variants; the small one was a huge pain and I *think* even for "big" size I still have to adjust the vertices around the swimsuit collar so the compiler doesn't merge them with the neck)
Luigi - Swimming (big, small variants)
Luigi - Equestrian
Luigi - Track [tank top + sports shoes]
Luigi - Karate
Surfboards

I'm not sure if I should go around mucking with Luigi's collision models too as I'm not entirely happy with how the shoulders/clavicles can twist too much (even though it's explicit the .qc doesn't allow for that flexibility...), but I'm kinda fed up making micro adjustments to apply over all ragdoll sets after tinkering and tinkering with materials).

Anyway I do plan on releasing Mario and Luigi once I'm able to get the other track variants, gymnastic (looks like track but barefoot), fencing, default clothes, and whatever else I missed. But goodness ravioli, there's a lot of repetitive work involved.... 2-3 hours for one ragdoll, more if vertex merging is not being cooperative..., a bit more if I catch some rigging problems, and that doesn't involve me going over what I've done and redoing the materials....

dunno how boxing will work but if bonemerge does work....

also need archery, skateboard and hoverboard props if I can make them (I know I can make skateboards)

Yes I noticed you commented on a Gmod screenshot my sister made a while ago. Yes I can get Waluigi but I need to finish up the brothers first....
Thanks for the update! Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. I'm not in any rush, take your time, if it means we get good ragdolls of the boys in various outfits. Btw, Mario and Luigi look great!

Back