A mysterious sound file from 3D World

SuperRaffinaUltimate

Too many things to celebrate
Pronouns
He/him
So, I recently downloading various sound files (mainly voice clips) from Mario and Smash games for fun.

I downloaded sound file pack from Super Mario 3D World yesterday, and I was organizing voice clips for characters. But there's one voice set that I can't recognize. I'm pretty sure it's kind of a boss or mini-boss, but I don't think this is related to Motley Bossblob or Prince Bully. It's sounds very similar to Yoshi, btw.

Here's an example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsmrshqoqour4yt/SM3DW Unknown.wav?dl=0

Last edited:
3D World's voice clip organization is notoriously atrocious, so I don't know if the order of occurrence is consistent with similar enemies or not. The voice clip doesn't sound familiar though.

I listened for it in videos of the 3D World bosses, but i couldn't pinpoint it. There isn't a YouTube upload of the boss voice clips like there are for the playable characters that i could find and it's hard to make them out in the footage. The one that seemed most likely based on the little i could make out was the pink Hisstocrat, but that's just a very wild guess.

Let me make the supplementary infos:
The files are downloaded from The Sounds Resource, not the game's ROM itself. There were three zip files, but the file names doesn't distinguish SFX and Voices, nor what condition or character makes these sounds, unlike Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker series or Smash Ultimate; a similar situation has occured on the files for Mario Party games, though zips are properly organized by character in that case.

Link: https://www.sounds-resource.com/wii_u/supermario3dworld/

Well, some games lump all of their sounds into one huge file and don't bother distinguishing them with descriptive names, Odyssey is one example of that. What could be there is that possibly, there might be lumped together with other similar sounds of that category.

you know it's funny because the Sounds Resource seems to be inconsistent on whether it allows straight dumps of files with annoying names or not. It accepted my rip of Super Paper Mario's sounds that were all in one big folder, but rejected the same thing for Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions (after a year of it being pending btw) to say "organize it better," to which it was accepted once the character voices were separated into their own zips.

Those resource sites are really understaffed, I remember they have to go through hundreds of submissions. Geez, having something pending for a year only to be told "organize", that sounds hair-ripping.

I have stuff ripped not submitted to those sites (like Mario Party 8 voice clips, but you can find those in MFGG or the Mario Sports Mix voice clips), the pending times are literally the only reason I have not submitted any of them.

3D World's voice clip organization is notoriously atrocious
some games lump all of their sounds into one huge file and don't bother distinguishing them with descriptive names

It should be noted that the way sounds end up in the game files is not important at all for the workings of the game, and for all you know the developers have everything neatly organised in folders with descriptive names and the compiler packs it into a compact package. You could be lucky they even have names at all instead of being simply numbered.

I was talking purely from a modding point of view, and besides, this type of organization of sounds from my experience with modding titles is more of an anomaly than it is the norm (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe even actually improved their naming system in comparison to Mario Kart 8: they could have just left it the way it was such as leaving one of Luigi's voice clips being called "horrific sobbing"). Even games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario Sports Mix are better organized because at least within the .brsar itself, character voices are organized if I recall correctly.

Oh btw, I think I've heard of a game with even more of a mess of compilation than than this one: Rayman Origins / Legends I've heard was a clusterfuck.

The chances of that request being fulfilled isn't likely. There's like a bazillion voice clips to parse through,

Back