Would Super Mario be an Effective Real Life Superhero?

Super Mario takes a portal from the mushroom kingdom into our world with the mission of being a superhero who fights crime. Mario must fight his enemies using game mechanics. How effective would Mario be stomping on humans and using other power-ups against his foes?

In a world of guns, stomping, boomerangs, hammers, and fire balls just isn't going to cut it.

A shot or two would kill him so no.
Only in some games. Other games he can take full bodied electrocution and get up afterward.

In a world of guns, stomping, boomerangs, hammers, and fire balls just isn't going to cut it.
Mario can launch into outer space, fall from lethal heights, not freeze to death in alien planets, etc. While he has weaknesses he's not fragile like a real human being and whatever is durability is depends on how his creators feel.

Mario can also get lightly tapped by a Goomba and die from it.

Not in Super Mario 64 or Mario & Luigi.

Technically, yes he can still die.

Not from a light tap as you imply.

It's weird when people bring up Mario's capability only in the narrow scope of 2D platformers. The rules for how Mario survives or not really depends on what game he's from. You're underestimating him when you just limit his capabilities by using one of his weaker variants.

It's like saying Bowser's really weak because he dies to fireballs and breathes only fire, which is something he does mostly in the 2D platformers, but people often bring up examples in games beyond the 2D Mario platformers to show how strong Bowser is, such as surviving the ruckus in the Galaxy games. It's only fair to also show examples where Mario's capable of surviving dimensional tears or something.

It's real life. What happens to Mario in Mario's world isn't going to apply in real life.

I mean
  • Mario can regenerate by touching money
  • Mario can jump backwards to accelerate to arbitrary speeds and travel to parallel universes
  • Mario's long jump is enough to jump over the Hollywood sign
  • He can smash through bricks by jumping into them or forcefully sitting on them
  • He can jump like four times his height
  • He can spin around and enter new dimension to become invisible and invulnerable and pass through obstacles
  • He can spin around and become basically invincible and jump even higher and smash crystals
  • He can fly by wearing a winged hat or eating a propeller mushroom, or a leaf, or a feather
  • He can do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Y8P8BoUJc
  • He can do insane sky athletics
  • He can instantaneously ride dinosaurs
  • He and his brother defeated Bowser, Bowser Jr., Cackletta's Soul, Fawful, the two shroob princesses, shrowser, Dreamy Bowser, Shiny RoboBowser, Dark Fawful and the Dark Star, Dimentio, O'Chunks, six different dragons, and with help of artefacts, Star Rod Bowser, The Shadow Queen, Count Bleck, and Super Dimentio.
  • He easily became by far the greatest fighter of all time in the Glitz Pit and defeated Rawk Hawk and Mr. Mr. Prosecutor Grubba.
  • He can come back to life once for every time he eats a green mushroom
  • He can survive being shot out of a cannon and landing on the side of a mountain.
  • He can throw Bowser's body a really long way
  • As of being cursed he can transform into a Paper airplane or boat, or turn into a tube, or go sideways.
  • He can survive in space
So yeah I'm pretty convinced Mario is overpowered.

All I know for sure is that if Mario somehow made it to the real world, his powers would be a lot more fucked up than in the games, like I'm pretty sure even something like a fireball would result in a ton of burns and not just someone getting hit and then dying instantly.

Unless somehow his own game mechanics would affect things that he interacts with in the real world.

He'd still be OP as fuck IRL tho

As long as he's prepared for whatever the threat is, I think he'd clean house. If he knows his opponent will have a gun, he'd be prepared for the gun being pulled and make sure one of the first things he does is get the gun away from the criminal. Mario is nimble af, and I don't think any criminal with a gun would have time to get a clean shot at him before he's behind them or stomping their face in. He's not as fast as Sonic, but he's still pretty much a god by real life standards.

Not a superman level hero but he could definitely protect a city or some such.

I mean, people who say Mario is OP irl are forgetting the context of the games he's from...? Like, of course if he gets smashed, he'd just become a pancake, that's really part of his world's mechanics, being that from a cartoon, because not only does those mechanics apply to Mario, they apply to all playable characters around him, consequently making them OP as well and not any less capable than Mario. If say, a realistic human conversely went into Mario's world, they probably wouldn't die from being in contact with fire or struck by lightning either.

What if IRL consequences get applied to Mario, what if getting run over actually is lethal for Mario rather than smashing him into a disc? Or electrocution having applied real life consequences rather than seeing a cute image of a skeleton briefly? I could argue that perhaps Mario's own innate powers would remain intact such as not being able to succumb to height (but even then, that's inconsistent between games) or jumping high and smashing people with his athletics and improved stamina or shooting balls of flame if he were to touch hypothetical flowers (and those specific flowers don't exist in real life anyway, none of his power-ups do), but it's just that real world mechanics get applied to Mario instead.

If he knows his opponent will have a gun, he'd be prepared for the gun being pulled and make sure one of the first things he does is get the gun away from the criminal.

He's fast, yeah, but he's not, like, THAT fast. In fact, his large head-to-body proportion would leave him getting headshotted very easily. Mario is better off running away in this situation than facing anyone with a gun, not even people trained in the military or judo would advise combating fist-to-fist anyone who has a gun, gun beats fists and jumping around any day of the week.

iirc batman doesn't have ANY supernatural powers or invulnerability yet he's one of the most popular superheroes

iirc batman doesn't have ANY supernatural powers or invulnerability yet he's one of the most popular superheroes

It's primarily because of his gadgets, vast amounts of knowledge, wealth, and athleticism. Mario really only has the latter.

As long as he's prepared for whatever the threat is, I think he'd clean house. If he knows his opponent will have a gun, he'd be prepared for the gun being pulled and make sure one of the first things he does is get the gun away from the criminal. Mario is nimble af, and I don't think any criminal with a gun would have time to get a clean shot at him before he's behind them or stomping their face in. He's not as fast as Sonic, but he's still pretty much a god by real life standards.

How many times would Mario have to jump on a person to kill them? That would determine if he could beat someone with a gun.

That would also depend on what kind of gun the perp uses. If the perp uses a fully auto-weapon, Mario isn't going to stand a chance, frankly speaking.

Superhuman strength, pyrokinesis (Firebrand or even SMRPG's fire magic), acrobatic prowess, enough stamina to practically run donuts around any real life Olympic athlete... dude, Mario would basically be unstoppable in real life.

Back