3D World, 6 years later

I can't judge Galaxy 2 on its own. I simply can't. It has Galaxy with 2 on its name. I've played the first Galaxy and enjoyed it a bunch. Whenever I play Galaxy 2, I get reminded that I could be playing the much better entry than it, because of its extremely derivative nature. That's why I think it's pointless.
Tangentially related but this basically describes my opinion on the New Super Mario Bros. sequels. First one was fun, and the following ones were so derivative of it and each other that I can't play them without thinking of how the first one is a much better experience.

It's basically another one of those situations where it was rejected at first but years later is now liked sort of thing.

That's quite a bit of games you can also include. In this community, I'm seeing a lot of like for Brawl and Mario Party 8 even though I don't remember liking them that much, and I still remember Mario Kart Wii being hated for its chaotic items.

the first time i played mario 3d world, i thought it was good, but not amazing. it twas fun but it doesnt measure up to the galaxy games (which were my introduction to 3d mario and what got me into nintendo on a bigger level). about a year or two after odyssey came out, i decided to replay it and found myself liking it a little bit more. i think it definitely has some flaws, depending on what you're after, but i also have a newfound appreciation for it's strengths. the story, theming and things like that are all practically non-existent (even levels within worlds rarely have any common link in terms of the environment they take place in, apart from the last couple of worlds maybe), but one thing i really appreciate about this game is that its great for pure undistilled platforming. i know everyone compares games to super mario 64 as their golden standard of what a 3d mario platformer should be like, but i think there's merit in the kind of linear levels that 3d world (and 3d land) offer. it really is like taking levels from 2d mario games and giving them a new dimension, and that's something i've learned to appreciate, and i hope there's room for both kinds of 3d marios going forward
Yeah, I'd like a sequel to 3D World, but I think continuing the kind of game that 64, Galaxy, and Odyssey are closer towards is important too,

Tangentially related but this basically describes my opinion on the New Super Mario Bros. sequels. First one was fun, and the following ones were so derivative of it and each other that I can't play them without thinking of how the first one is a much better experience.

Personally, I thought New Super Mario Bros Wii was as good as the DS game. After that though, my opinion basically became the same as yours

Personally, I thought New Super Mario Bros Wii was as good as the DS game. After that though, my opinion basically became the same as yours
Imo NSMBW > NSMBDS

The first was cool but the second was an awesome upgrade graphics-wise, level-design-wise, music-wise, and multiplayer-wise, and Yoshi, and some cool new powerups.

I haven't played the rest of them though.

Imo NSMBW > NSMBDS

The first was cool but the second was an awesome upgrade graphics-wise, level-design-wise, music-wise, and multiplayer-wise, and Yoshi, and some cool new powerups.

I haven't played the rest of them though.
You're not missing much.
If you've played one you played them all.

I'd only recommend ds and NSMBUDeluxe

I'd only recommend ds and NSMBUDeluxe
I don't have a switch but according to people on this board there really isn't that much of a significant difference between the Wii U version and the switch version.

no, there isn't

IMO, if you've played SMG, you can enjoy SMG2 without feeling like it's the same game, even if it has similar mechanics and concepts. Same with NSMB games, and 3D Land and 3D World. People keep buying the Mario games because they each offer new experiences - not because they're exactly the same.

On an unrelated note, I agree that 3D World wasn't meant to be like the other 3D Marios - it was likely directed to those who were already fans of the 2D games, so the consumers would purchase a 3D game and Nintendo would make money expand their userbase.

Back