How did Super Mario 64 DS and New Super Mario Bros. get re-rated 12?

FirePuppy

Koopa Troopa
I know, you're probably gonna say that it was because of Luigi's minigames that contain mild gambling, but before that, the games were rated 3+ with the gambling games intact. Can anyone be more specific on how all this happened?

The ratings standards change over time. Once gambling wasn't considered a thing to raise the age rating for, now it is.

Though for some reason, Mario Kart Tour gets away with a PEGI 3+ rating even when it contains actual gambling elements in it.

Ratings can be...really inconsistent at times. I really don't think Super Mario Odyssey and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team are E10+ titles by any stretch.

I'm sure Nintendo didn't like 64DS, SMO and Dream Team getting e10+ ratings either, being that kids and their parents are their target customers when it comes to Mario

Don't forget Melee!
Well, Melee was rated T before E10+ was introduced. Had it been released later, it almost certainly would have been E10+.

As for Brawl, it should have been E10+ imo, but I think I recall a certain scene in SSE where Master Hand bleeds. There's also Snake, who uses realistic guns, and that's going to guarantee high ratings every time.

I fail to understand how Mario Odyssey and Dream Team are E10+ games at all, especially because the latter was initially showcased as an E game. Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Battle Royale, and Star Allies are also not E10+ by any stretch. (The closest Kirby ever got to actually warranting E10+ was in Kirby 3 and 64 with Zero bleeding, but even then, it's not that explicit and I don't think it would be unsuitable for kids under 10.) And Mario 64 DS and New Mario 1 are also not 12+ games at all; I'd hardly call Luigi's minigames "simulated gambling".

I think Metroid would be better as a 10+ series.

I'm on the other end: I think Metroid can reach its fullest potential as an M-rated game.

Hmm...Nintendo wouldn't go for that for something originally rated 10+. However, they could make a gritty game for more mature...people.

Metroid Prime was rated T, which isn't that far of a stretch. I think some M-rated elements such as a little bit more blood and gore can contribute to the game's moody and heavy atmosphere.

Meh, Metroid is fine where it's at imo, I don't like games with excessive blood/gore, but that's me.

Back