John's Fan Creations Thread (Reviews, Sprite Art, and More!)

I was inspired by how @Redshift uses character icons in the Car Wash now, so I decided to make one for Mario Carbone (Car Wash Mario)!
Wrecking Crew '98 - Mario Carbone-1.png.png

FYI, I used Mario's Icon from Wrecking Crew '98 as the base, and it edited it from there.

Yeah I wanted to use character icons because it displays the character's facial expressions rather than typing out how they feel. In addition, it's more expressive than the M&L sprites that were used. This does mean that I need to expend a lot more effort drawing facial expressions but I really hope that'll pay off!

Dang it, you abandoned it. :(

Will you include some hair physics in the run cycle? :]

Damn, those sprites are excellent. Keep it up!

Also, I have a little piece of Fan Fiction.

Green Hills, Montana. It was just another quiet day in the sleepy little town. Well, with one notable exception.
"I'll get you this time!" Crazy Carl yelled into the night.
There was an assortment of bear traps surrounding him on every side. In his hands was an antique rifle which wasn't exactly capable of firing any sort of ammunition.
CLAMP!
Crazy Carl turned around and saw that a bear trap had been triggered. However, there was nothing in it.
"Ha! There 'ya are, 'ya blue devil!"
More traps started to clamp down on nothing as a blue blur whizzed by, which seemed to be the reason why the traps were eating the air. Before long, all the traps had clamped onto nothing and the blue blur sped off into the night.
"I'll catch you one day, Blue Devil! I'll prove that you exist!" Crazy Carl yelled after it.
"No, I don't!" The Blue Devil responded from off in the distance.
The Blue Devil continued sprinting through the secluded forest and slipped through a crack between two rocks and landed on a beanbag chair, of all things.
"Ah, cave sweet cave!" The Blue Devil said as he sprung up from the chair.
He started walking to a boombox, passing a crudely made sign that read "Sonic's Cave. Nobody other than Sonic allowed". He pushed the play button on the boombox and a 90's Rap song started to play. He then picked up a journal and a pencil and flopped back down into the beanbag chair.
"Sonic's Log," Sonic said as he started to write, "Today, Donut-Lord actually caught a bad guy today. His first one in over a year! The guy was trying to rob a gas station, but Donut-Lord was all like, "Hey, you! This town has no place for you!", and he took him to jail! Other than that, today was pretty much the same old routine. Grabbed some food with the local raccoons, watched some T.V. with Donut-Lord, had some fun messing with Carl. Besides that, nothing else really interesting happened today."
He finished his entry and set the pencil and journal on a side table and relaxed in his beanbag chair.
"Yeah, this is the life," Sonic sighed, "No rules, nobody telling me what to do, just me and my…"
He paused for a moment, seemingly doubting what he was about to say.
"...Friends…?" He questioned himself.
He thought about it for a minute.
"Of course they're my friends! We hang out all the time!" He thought out loud, "Only, they don't know I'm actually… there…"
He frowned at his own self-doubt. After a minute, he decided to close his eyes and go to sleep. Besides, there was nothing else to do in town after it got dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
"In a world where the government controls us all, a team of heroes unite to free humanity..."
Raid Area 51.png

"..either that or they're going to raid Area 51 again."

Last edited:
no dark light though *shaking my head*

You literally stole a lot of art from Minty, Including from me Take these down, is there a way to contact moderators? I did that sonic Pixel art for Super Smash Flash 2 Delta ( A Modding Project for Super Smash Flash 2) and you clearly edited the entire pixel art without giving credit. Here's the comparison. Oh, and nice job on Stealing Dr.Mario too.

Attachments

• kingatreyu.png
    kingatreyu.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 644
Having reviewed the evidence, the accusation is legit - LJS took pixel art made by other people, made edits, and then implied it was his own work from the beginning. Additionally, it's very clearly stated on the linked Deviantart page that the artist needs credit, yet no credit was given whatsoever. In short, thank you two for pointing this out.

I've deleted anything that I wasn't able to explicitly confirm as an edit of official game material.

Let this stand as a statement that the Marioboards moderation team will not condone art theft.

Keep an eye out for the next issue, where I'll have a look at the original Super Smash Brothers! Until then, stay frosty, everyone!​

Hopefully you all have still kept an eye out. That's right, everybody, I'm finally back with another edition of John's Semi-Professional Opinions! (still working on that Shroom application). Today, as promised, I'll be taking a look at Super Smash Brothers on the Nintendo 64!
1617410889783.png

SUPER SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH BROTTTHEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSS

This is the game that started the platform fighting genre. The basic premise is to smack your enemies around so much that they WAH-HOO right off the stage. It sounds simple, except for the fact that it isn't really that simple. See, you can get back up on the stage after you've been knocked off but before you die, so that makes things harder.

PLOT

Yeah, this game has a plot. See, none of Smash Bros. is real (except for like Subspace Emissary and World of Light). The battles are all just a kid holding fake fights with his toys. C'mon, we've all been there. Yeah, Master Hand? No, that's the kid's literal hand. Have fun beating up part of a child as a blue Mario, folks.

GAMEPLAY

Like I said, this game invented the platform fighting genre, so of course the gameplay wasn't perfect. The physics were wonky and the gravity felt so...weighted. Oh, and there's no side specials or final smashes. Those come in later. The controls are...fine. They could be better, but they're not bad. The game just feels clunky with the physics it has.

CONTENT

For the series starter, the game introduces a lot of series staples, and then some. *Cough*Board the Platforms*Cough*. Anyway, there are the main 8 (12 if you count Green Mario, Kirby with Hair, Batman, and that Teenager from that SNES game), who've gone on to appear in every game since, and I think it's a great roster with all the Nintendo staples (well, at the time. Batman and Teenager are debatable nowadays). In terms of content outside of battle mode, there's a good arcade mode, the mini-games play pretty good, and of course you can view character bios. What's a Smash Bros game without character bios? Oh, wait they got rid of them in Ultimate, uh....

VERDICT

I give this game a 7.5/10. It's not perfect, but it started a great series, and it still had a bit of potential in it. That, and the gravity always kills m-*dies*​

Reactions: zel
Back