Ian Flynn spills the beans on the rejected Archie Mario comic pitch

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
Some years back, it leaked out that Archie had pitched a Mario comic to Nintendo and a few pages of art for it. Today author Ian Flynn made a twitter detailling what it would've been about, including the outline for its storyline and the corporate politics that got it rejected

1567038861276.png

1567038883162.png

What do you think? Do you agree with Flynn's assertion that was too much serious for Mario?

Does the Mario pitch involves more than Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser (besides Toad and Yoshi in case they were planned to be used)? At least the Fleetway Mario pitch had Donkey Kong (Jr.?), which makes it far better than the Archie one. I understand that using established characters makes for a good start, but I would love to see more than the main characters in a Mario comic.

thank you for reading.

He said it was too dramatic, not necessarily too serious. Either way, I don't think it is too dramatic. I really seems to give more personality and background to the story, which would be needed given that the original game was not story-based. He said he planned for a short mini series first before a long-running one, so I would assume that the other three issues would cover either version of SMB@ (probably Lost Levels since USA is just a dream), SMB3, and World. Of course, to avoid being repetitive it would later need to add new characters or even new plotlines. I did enjoy Super Mario Adventures, so I wonder if the comic was inspired by that comic. Either way, it's neat that we now have this info!

I'd imagine much like his works in Sonic and Mega Man, there would be new characters that didn't come from the games, perhaps the return of Prince Haru or characters from the DIC series or the live action movie, as Sonic and Mega Man referenced other media
All this talk about of NOJ shutting it down makes me worry for the ARMS graphic novel even more

I have faith that Ian Flynn would have been able to pull it off. It's sad he didn't get the chance.

I do think a long-running Mario western comic is needed, because it would be a nice change of pace to see how a Western-oriented creative team would handle a Mario comic. Japan's already got one that ran for decades (Super Mario-kun), so I felt that the West should have one. It's a shame to see that Sonic's the only one who ran for so long, although in Sonic's case it's kind of questionable because it didn't have quality control until Ian Flynn got his time to shine since it's evident that the previous head writer would not cooperate with the type of quality control that SEGA enforced.

Thank you for reading.

i don't like it personally because it sounds more of the same old tale of Peach getting saved by Mario and it only mentions 4 characters on that.

Boring.

By the way, this was Fleetway's Nintendo Comic pitch. The guys are basically responsible for Sonic the Comic, which has its own continuity and in my opinion a fascinating one for how different it is.

CS2VWPqWUAEoSsS.jpg:large

One may complain about some details like how the Toads look, but I think they could evolve into the more familiar Toads we know if the comic continued, since the animal captives in Sonic evolved from small animals to a more anthropomorphic shape more befitting for Sonic (although they looked more human than Sonic though).

Thank you for reading.

i don't like it personally because it sounds more of the same old tale of Peach getting saved by Mario and it only mentions 4 characters on that.

Boring.
It's only the first Super Mario Bros. game. Did you expect Donkey Kong?

I'm sure if given the chance, they would've expanded more on the series. But as it's been told now, I want to see if any concepts were drawn aside from what we've seen already 👀

I want to live in the alternate universe where Nintendo didn't shoot down this comic proposition, especially since it could've lead to a more fitting Mario and Sonic crossover ala Worlds Collide.

Oh well. *Patiently hopes for a IDW Mario comic instead*

Given how Archie Comics is out in the running for Mario publication, I wonder who could do a Mario comic publication.

- Dark Horse is possible since they are doing ARMS although I am not sure if that will continue.
- IDW has Sonic the Hedgehog as a crossover opportunity
- Valiant could be the one but I don't know if they still have issues with how Nintendo didn't contribute a lot to their efforts.
- Boom Studios is actually my preferred one only because of what licenses they used (Garfield, Steven Universe, Adventure Time).

So for me it's a tossup between IDW and Boom.

Thank you for reading.

It seems like it would be a decent and simple way to start a series, if nothing else a decent adaptation. When it comes to comics, NEVER start out complex with dozens of characters. Introduce them gradually. Hypothetically speaking it would have been a monthly series so they would have had plenty of time to add more as it went on.

It seems like it would be a decent and simple way to start a series, if nothing else a decent adaptation. When it comes to comics, NEVER start out complex with dozens of characters. Introduce them gradually. Hypothetically speaking it would have been a monthly series so they would have had plenty of time to add more as it went on.

Tell that to Georgie.

*CoUgH*Anime War*cOuGh*

Back