I got a 3DS

Wario's ass

King Bowser
Pronouns
He/him
Yeah I know it's a New Nintendo 2ds Xl. Stop laughing. Who cares :dk2:

Finally, got a modern Nintendo console that isn't pre 2010, and it's so glorious.

Can you recommend me which games to get for it and also which to avoid? (Also mention DS games, too).

Re: I got a 3DS!

heres a bunch of retail games in no particular order (some might be download only depending on the region, tho)

rhythm heaven megamix (demo available)
-if you like rhythm games, you can also check out:
--hatsune miku project mirai dx (da)
--rhythm thief and the emperor's treasure (da)
--theatrhythm final fantasy: curtain call (da)

fire emblem: awakening (da)
-if you like this game, you can also check out:
--fire emblem echoes: shadows of valentia
--project x zone 1 and 2 (da for both)

kirby planet robobot (da? might depend on the region)
-if you like this game, check out:
--kirby triple deluxe (da?)
--super mario 3d land

smash bros 3ds (da?) ((smash ultimate is better than this in almost every way, so only get this if you're sure you won't have a switch for a while)

phoenix wright: ace attorney trilogy
-if you like this, play:
--ace attorney: apollo justice, ace attorney dual destinies (da) and ace attorney spirit of justice (da), in that order
--professor layon and the miracle mask (after playing PL and the Last Spectre on DS) and then professor layton and the azran legacy

warioware gold (da, depending on region)

the legend of zelda: majora's mask 3d
-if you like this, then you should play:
--ocarina of time i guess
--legend of zelda: a link between worlds

etrian odyssey untold: the millenium girl (da, and the save file carries over iirc)
-if you enjoy this game, check out the other games in the series on 3ds (and ds). theres a lot of them!

Kid Icarus Uprising

and now for a list of a bunch of random download games, once again in no particular order
this time they're sorted vaguely by genre because its easier to just lump all the platforming games kinda together because i have a lot of them

platformers
shantae and the pirate's curse
-shantae and shantae: risky's revenge are also good (and available on 3ds), and the story will make more sense if you play those first, but pirate's curse is the priority because its the best one
shovel knight: treasure trove
azure striker gunvolt 1 and 2
VVVVVV if you havent played it on one of the 50 other consoles it's on
mega man legacy collection
steamworld dig
-steamworld dig 2 is also on 3ds. its made for better consoles like the switch but if you dont have access to any of those, you probably can't go too wrong with the 3ds version?
mighty switch force 1 and 2

puzzle
the pushmo series
-my personal favourite is stretchmo, but pushmo is a good starting point
the box boy series
pocket card jockey

rhythm
dedede's drum dash (expanded minigame from kirby triple deluxe)
harmoknight

theres too many vc games out there for me to go into that, but i will say that mole mania is a fun little game boy game that's worth looking into
if you'd like to see my ranking of other games i own, including my vc games, take a look here. (its a little out of date, but it should be fine for your purposes

finally, a bunch of ds games
the world ends with you
kirby super star ultra
kirby mass attack
rhythm heaven/paradise
warioware touched
wario: master of disguise (this one is an unpopular opinion, you might want to look into the game yourself to make sure you'll actually like it)
the professor layton series
ace attorney investigations: miles edgeworth (after you play ace attorney trilogy)
ghost trick phantom detective
mega man zero collection
mega man zx and zx advent
elite beat agents, and then if you wanna go full weeb, osu! tatakae! ouendan 1 and 2
mario and luigi: bowser's inside story
pokemon mystery dungeon, explorers of sky

this is just a small portion of the 3ds and ds librarys, based on what i've played over the years. there are still a bunch of games that i havent listed here that are great, but this should be enough food for thought to get you started
Merry Christmas saltman, enjoy your 3ds

Bravely Default/Bravely Second
also despite the hate boner everyone has for it i recommend you check out Fire Emblem Fates

I'll second Etrian Odyssey, just pick whatever 3ds one you want. They all have demos I'm pretty sure and they all have difficulty options so you won't get stuck with any brutally hard ones. Untold games have story modes and pre-set party's if you're not into team building stuff.

I don't have one yet, but I'm thinking of getting one someday.

get warioware gold, sega ages vol. 1 and ace combat combat ah+

Start with Mario 3D Land; it will show you what the 3DS is capable of. After that get New Mario 2 and Kirby Triple Deluxe. I'd also recommend Kirby Planet Robobot, the Zeldas, the Pokemons, the M&L games, and Mario Kart 7.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention two other games: Mario Maker and Smash 3DS. HOWEVER, I would only recommend the former if you're confident you'll never own a Wii U, and the latter if you're sure you'll never play its far superior sequels on Wii U and Switch.

EDIT 2: Oh, you're also taking DS recommendations? In that case...
-New Mario 1
-Mario 64 DS
-Kirby Squeak Squad
-Kirby Super Star Ultra
-Zeldas
-Pokemons

I may not own a 3DS, but I've at least played it. Get Mario Kart 7 because it's really fun. Get also Mario Party Island Tour, because I had a blast with that game. It takes the old Mario Party formula just like Super Mario Party, but I can't say it's as good as it. But buy Island Tour since you don't have a Switch to play SMP.

I know you just got Smash Ultimate, but after having it a while, you might consider Smash 3DS. Smash Run is easily the best mode on there and you get a taste of trophies.
Also it's fun looking at the differences between versions but that might just be a "me" thing.

oh yeah dont forget to pick up the cult classic Senran Kagura Burst

Waterfall of Flab said:
I know you just got Smash Ultimate, but after having it a while, you might consider Smash 3DS.

I don't have any Smash games *cries*, but I'll think about getting that game.

Also is Mario Maker 3ds really worse than the Wii u version? I heard you can't search for levels.

Saltman said:
Waterfall of Flab said:
I know you just got Smash Ultimate, but after having it a while, you might consider Smash 3DS.

I don't have any Smash games *cries*, but I'll think about getting that game.

Also is Mario Maker 3ds really worse than the Wii u version? I heard you can't search for levels.

Oh, for some reason I thought this was posted by Toadgamer. I've gone mad, HELP!

I dunno, I never got it since I have it on the U. But it's probably just as good besides online functions (I have crappy internet. I've never used/cared about online.)

Saltman said:

It's limited, actually. You either searching for all compatible levels, or all of those in a set difficulty. And has many aspects that make less than the other (like no Mystery Mushroom). But, that doesn't make it unplayable. And the Super Mario Challenge levels more fun to play in than the official Nintendo courses due to the extra challenges it presents.

Santa Yoshi said:
Start with Mario 3D Land; it will show you what the 3DS is capable of. After that get New Mario 2 and Kirby Triple Deluxe. I'd also recommend Kirby Planet Robobot, the Zeldas, the Pokemons, the M&L games, and Mario Kart 7.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention two other games: Mario Maker and Smash 3DS. HOWEVER, I would only recommend the former if you're confident you'll never own a Wii U, and the latter if you're sure you'll never play its far superior sequels on Wii U and Switch.

EDIT 2: Oh, you're also taking DS recommendations? In that case...
-New Mario 1
-Mario 64 DS
-Kirby Squeak Squad
-Kirby Super Star Ultra
-Zeldas
-Pokemons
Also, go ahead and download Team Kirby Clash Deluxe from the eShop. It's a lot of fun, and it's free!

Back