The No-Hopers Bin

Rin Nelek

Goomba
NOTE: My apologies if this topic has already been done, but it'd be too much for me to go through every single one; plus, I'd rather have consistent topics.

With the final Nintendo Direct for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate out of the way, I figured I'd bring up a topic dedicated to characters/franchises who'd have virtually zero chance of appearing in the final game. Please follow these very strict guidelines before posting, however.
  • The character/franchise hasn't appeared in previous Super Smash Bros. games.
  • One candidate only per character/franchise (otherwise the thread would be needlessly cluttered).
  • Franchises that already have representatives (including fighters, trophies, stickers, and spirits) throughout the series are automatically disqualified.
I'd appreciate it if you stay on topic; if this thread gets abused one too many, I'm afraid I'll have to request someone to lock this thread until further notice.

there is a goddamn piranha plant playable therefor i will never believe in the existence of such characters

Technically though Piranha plant has appeared in almost every game in the most popular franchise and in every Yoshi game, so maybe it's only natural.

Isabelle said:
Technically though Piranha plant has appeared in almost every game in the most popular franchise and in every Yoshi game, so maybe it's only natural.
there is a goddamn piranha plant playable therefor i will never believe in the existence of such characters

It's funny that you chose this name for the thread, because the original referred to Sonic and Earthworm Jim, and I was just considering the latter yesterday. Udderly Abducted from Jim 2 would have made a good stage to represent the series, with all kinds of wacky things incorporated like creakety ledges that can't support too many players and UFOs that from time to time drop cows on people and sometimes those cows are explosive and players can try to lift them and throw them at other players.

But stepping away from that pipe dream and remembering what thread this is, I think characters with equal popularity in Japan and the West are much more likely to be picked as far as third parties are concerned, and I've never heard anything about Jim getting any recognition in Japan. Plus the creator/owner (not completely sure if the latter is still the case but I think so) of the series is an asshole.

I feel like you might know SiFi, is Doom big in Japan? Doomguy's a character with a lot going for him but I don't know how he's received over there.

I think I read somewhere that they're not that interested in the FPS genre. I checked the "Americans Hate Tingle" page on TV Tropes, and while I don't think it's the exact text on the exact page that I remember, it should give a good enough idea:

First person shooters are, in general, a niche genre in Japan. While they have a steadily increasing fanbase there, nobody is under any impression that Japanese AAA game developers will get around to making their own high-budget FPS games. While a number of small Japanese developers have managed to create FPS, they rarely manage to gain more than a cult status among Japanese gamers, though there is one recently that find more success outside of Japan, which is Resident Evil 7, and even then it didn't focuses on the shooter aspect.

Perhaps the closest are over the shoulder third-person shooters, most of it plays similarly to FPS with manual aim, and there are a number of successes, such as Resident Evil 4, Vanquish, MGS V The Phantom Pain (especially the multiplayer aspect) and the upcoming DLC for FFXV will have this kind of gameplay. Most likely, this is related to the the differences between western and eastern Role Playing Games in that western gamers, especially American gamers, care very much for immersion and want to be the player character, whereas Japanese gamers aren't quite as interested and would rather play as a pre-defined character.

Despite that I still feel like there's merit in the fact that every Doom game released on a Nintendo console is significant in one way or another:
  • The SNES version shouldn't have even been possible with the hardware, and yet in many ways it's still more faithful to the original than any other console port at the time.
  • Doom 64 was a completely new and exclusive game with a heavily updated engine, while the Playstation and Saturn were still getting ports that were still based on the non-SNES ports of the previous generation.
  • The GBA games and the Switch version of Doom 4 are all impressive for how faithful and playable they are on a portable system. The iOS version has them beat in the former category, but falls much further behind when it comes to the latter.
And that's not even getting into id's history with Nintendo beyond that franchise.

OH BUT MORE RECENTLY HOW COULD I FORGET

You hear about that show Goblin Slayer? I've heard quite a bit about it but I haven't seen it but I probably should, because it's apparently one big Doom reference.
Dpgv85lVsAAI__6.jpg

just one example

but maybe that's more popular in the west than in japan too. these things happen

Bren McGuire passes all three rules in this thread.

no one knows who he is except mostly Europeans

shame, I guess Duck Hunt won't be making it into smash as he has not been referenced throughout the series.
he really does have no chance of making it into smash.

geno

Saying the names of characters that have been disconfirmed is cheating.

Also every Pokemon prior to Gen VIII. And that means all of my favorite Pokemon that aren't in yet.

Lyn, she is stuck in assist trophy hell.

Even the toasters seem more likely than him.

Literally any character from a franchise that isn't made by Nintendo.

Examples include series such as Castlevania.

unironically supporting having a Call of Duty or Medal of Honor character in Smash #JimmyPatterson4erSmash

Crash Bandicoot

Back