BBQ Turtle's Art Thread

BBQ Turtle

Crazy sponsors lady.
Wiki Administrator
'Shroom Consultant
I finally decided to get around to making one of these, so here's my current pile of Wiki-related stuff:
vWe09TM.png

lt31Tsw.png

3IEATzA.png

zzjhqVe.png
Zcyoz0R.png

CsLFp4u.png

14ezDlU.png

C3KugPw.png
A_2017_BBQTurtle.png

Just a little something fun about this one, because I drew Rosalina floating, and I drew Rosalina's Sport Bike in anti-gravity mode.
A_BBQTurtle_2018.png

This wasn't my original plan for the Art Contest this year, but I had to scrap my original one, so this was kind of a last-minute thing (I actually did most of it in one day), though I'd been planning to do this drawing beforehand just to put on DeviantArt. There's actually a fair few little references in this one too, so I thought I'd talk about them here. Firstly, the outfits that they're all wearing are inspired by this specific artwork (File:PeachToadCook.gif). And the specific building they're in does exist, you may have guessed from the view out of the window that it's in Toad Harbour, and that's where it is- It's the Peach & Daisy Royal Patisserie building at the bottom of the hill where there are two paths to choose (There's a really good picture of it in Lakituthequick's 2017 Awards Favourite Item presentation- that's actually the picture I referred to when drawing it). The Tropical Bakery building also seen outside the window is opposite the patisserie too. The logo on the mug that the Toad is breaking the egg into is the Mario Kart 8 logo for the Fountain Cafe, and the milk carton is based on the Moo Moo Meadows Milk one. Additionally, you may have noticed the cakes on display in the glass counter, and all of them are from various Mario games- going from left to right, they are the largest cake from around the outside of the Sweet Sweet Canyon track, the cake sent to Bowser at the end of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, the second tier of the cake in the middle of Sweet Sweet Canyon, the cake from the ending of Super Mario 64, the cake from the aforementioned artwork which I then found out was the Special Strawberry Cake from Paper Mario, the cake from the end of the Sweet Sweet Galaxy and the cake from Cherry-Go-Round from Mario Party DS.
I'm also on DeviantArt, where I post most of my Mario artwork- I already watch a few people from here on there, so you may already know about that. For those who didn't know, here's a selection of what I consider some of the better stuff from there- if you'd like to see some more of it, this is my profile.
peach__daisy_and_rosalina__princess_stack_by_bbq_turtle-dbey1yw.png
strikers_candy_by_bbq_turtle-dcdu4mq.png

mario_girls_by_bbq_turtle-dbniaiq.png
the_koopalings_and_bowser_jr__by_bbq_turtle-dboqysz.png

chain_chompikins__new_hat_by_bbq_turtle-dbytphv.png

kong_pile_by_bbq_turtle-dbytpn9.png

mini_princesses_by_bbq_turtle-dc03u9o.png

bowser_s_castle_besties_by_bbq_turtle-dc4y7it.png

(I've done a whole set of these Odyssey ones, i.e. one for each outfit, but this one's my favourite.)
tostarenans__by_bbq_turtle-dc6x7ah.png

this_is_just_getting_weird_now____by_bbq_turtle-dcddb3l.png

peach__daisy_and_rosalina__boomerang_sisters_by_bbq_turtle-dcdfyxc.png
I'm probably going to post some more of my DeviantArt stuff here in the future, as well as any other Wiki stuff, and thanks for stopping by to take a look! :)

I've put your drawing of me in my userpage! ;D

I'm glad you made this thread because I've been meaning to say that your art is really great! Not only is it very well-drawn but it's got this charm to it that makes it unique. That's why I voted for it in the Art Contest this year (though it was a tough choice with a few of the others).

Birdo: You're on my foot!

Toadette: Woops! Sorry it's a bit crowded here!

RainbowDiamond-SMP said:
I know I have got that Princess Luigi (and co.) in my favorites on DA! Tell me, what is your username on DA?
I thought I recognised your username here from there! It's virtually the same, it's BBQ-Turtle (Just with a dash between the two words). There's a link in the first post if you're interested. Thanks for favouriting it! :)

I forgot to update this so... here, have a whole bunch of art!
peach__daisy_and_rosalina__fire_flowers_by_bbq_turtle-dcouebh.png

peach__daisy_and_rosalina__super_leaves_by_bbq_turtle-dcpufk1.png

This one's for the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. 3 and therefore the Koopalings- I actually started it in early September thinking I wouldn't have the time in October, then finished it in two days, so it's been sat in a folder for over a month.
happy_30th_koopalings__by_bbq_turtle-dcq6nm8.png

The outfits in this one are based on this somewhat obscure piece of artwork here (File:Peach in Japanese attire KCMEX2009.png), if you didn't already know.
peach__daisy_and_rosalina__kimonos_by_bbq_turtle-dcq6ntf.png

And this one I posted today- it wasn't intended to be for the anniversary of Super Mario Odyssey (I've had it planned for several months now), but it's nice when things work out! The stuff written on her dress and hat are some of the words to Jump Up, Super Star!, if you hadn't quite figured it out.
jump_up__super_star__by_bbq_turtle-dcqhyt8.png
Thanks for stopping by to take a look!

Hi again... over six months later, oops. I keep forgetting this thread exists, and I've been trying to update it for about a month, but I've been having some issues with the links which I have only just been able to resolve. I have still been drawing stuff, I've just forgotten/been unable to share it here, so here's a selection of my better stuff since I last updated it.
corners_by_bbq_turtle_dcxjz5b-pre.jpg

This one I drew as part of a cover for my lined paper pad, which has a black background and glitter added to the design, I'll get a scan of that at some point too to compare the differences.
pirate_peach_and_rosalina_by_bbq_turtle_dcy72u5-pre.jpg

This one is full of little references to other Mario stuff, some of which are more obvious than others, so see what you can spot.
guitarist_rosalina_by_bbq_turtle_dd0m99l-pre.jpg

happy_30th__daisy__by_bbq_turtle_dd54bsg-fullview.jpg

This is a big one I did for Daisy's 30th anniversary.
cosmic_tennis_by_bbq_turtle_dd3ekyz-pre.jpg
tennis_princesses_by_bbq_turtle_dd5m6fj-pre.jpg
tennis_sweethearts_by_bbq_turtle_dd6929v-pre.jpg

pool_party_by_bbq_turtle_dd63221-fullview.jpg

There's a few references in this one too.
Hopefully I'll remember/be able to post some more stuff in the future, and thank you for checking it out! :D

Smaller (and only slightly late!) update this time, just three pieces:
peach__daisy_and_rosalina__propeller_mushrooms_by_bbq_turtle_dd6p0bw-fullview.jpg

pauline_toad_by_bbq_turtle_dd7o38x-pre.jpg

peach__daisy_and_rosalina__sunshine_dresses_by_bbq_turtle_dd8b37u-fullview.jpg
...And I will remember to get a scan of that notebook cover at some point, as well as another one I've just realised that I haven't posted yet, so hopefully you'll see that in the not-to-distant future (As well as some other stuff, including my Art Contest entry). Thanks for stopping by to check this out again! :D

Time for another update, which I'm sure I had already posted one of these pieces already, but anyway, here we are. First, here's a couple of pieces of general art:
peach__daisy_and_rosalina__busy_bees_by_bbq_turtle_ddb4yse-pre.jpg

The subject of this one is pretty self-explanatory, but I did just want to point out that the collars and top of their dresses are based on Queen Bee's, the bucket Rosalina is carrying is one of the ones used by the Honeybees and the flowers Daisy is carrying are from the Honeyhive Galaxy.
daisy_s_diary_by_bbq_turtle_ddbzqb0-fullview.jpg

This one is based on Daisy's Present Room in Mario Party 4.
And of course, my entry for the Art Contest, which some of you have probably seen already, but I should post it here anyway:
BBQTurtle_Art_2019.jpg

She's about 27cm tall from the top of her hat to her shoes, more if I were to straighten out her plait, which is about 33cm long on its own. She's fully handstitched from felt, with embroidery thread used to add details such as her face, fingers and pattern on her tights. I couldn't estimate how long it took to make her other than "a long time", and the pattern I made up as I went along really. If you have any more questions about her, feel free to ask. :)

I'm unlikely to update this now until I've finished my awards presentation, but I do have two more general pieces coming, one of which requires some finishing details and the other I've only got drawn out at the moment, so stay tuned for that.

I'm unlikely to update this now until I've finished my awards presentation
I say that, and then I do something else. Because the forums were down yesterday, I couldn't access the images people sent me as reference for my presentation, and hence couldn't work on it, so I decided to do this instead:
IMG_20190730_222236.jpg

It's based on something I saw while I was on holiday, it's a 3D layered version of the Mario Kart 8 boxart (This is the best picture I could get of it, the effect actually works better in real life, it almost looks like one of those lenticular things). It's not something super-original, but I thought it was pretty cool so I wanted to share it, I might do some more in the future. Anyway, now what I said earlier should apply, as this is probably the last thing I will be posting ahead of my awards presentation, but... well, we'll see how that works out.

Well, the awards are over now, so here is my presentation, in case anyone missed it/just because it makes sense to compile all of my art in one place. And I'd also like to say thank you to everyone who signed up to appear in it and liked/commented about it, I really appreciate it. :D
LwtxjgU.png
sspyhQ4.png
NvCivxl.png
PC63Eg7.png
a9VtCwi.png
This next part is my overly-long and detailed explanation of my thought processes, so I'll put in a spoiler. I just wanted to go over some of my decisions and point out a couple of little things you may have missed. It's roughly in the order stuff happens, so if there's a specific thing you were curious about, it should be fairly easy to navigate. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
  • The first thing is in the second panel, and that's the map I'm holding. It's based on the Gallery sponsor from Mario Kart Wii. It's small, but I've tried to go for the same layout and colouring:
    MKW-Gallery.png
  • I've actually had the idea in mind for this presentation since not long after the awards finished last year, including the joke about throwing Wario through the window. If Baby Luigi and LeftyGreenMario hadn't signed up for it, I was planning to chase them down anyway just because I wanted to make that joke
  • The frames on the paintings within the gallery are based on those of the ones in Super Mario Odyssey:
    Luncheon_Kingdom_to_Mushroom_Kingdom_Painting.png
  • Moving onto the actual portrait part, I tried to put everyone's characters into art styles that their character/what their character was based on hadn't been in before (i.e. not putting Yoshis into the Yoshi's Island style), and I almost managed it, except for Superchao ending up in the retro style sprites. It worked out alright though, as I pretty much changed the Boo sprite I looked at for reference entirely. Another thing you might notice throughout is that some of the frames feature numbers, which correspond to the placing in the awards, not a thirteenth month or an alternate cover for the 14th volume of Super Mario-kun. I also tried to match speech bubbles throughout, but I couldn't find one for every style, so I just had to revert to my default for all of those.
  • All of the WarioWare games have fairly distinct art styles, but I went with WarioWare Gold because I thought it looked the most different from the other art styles I'd be trying to recreate. That picture is probably my favourite.
  • Although Donkey Kong Country was the artstyle that was listed, for the picture I used the DK: King of Swing one instead, because I really couldn't find anything distinct enough in the Donkey Kong Country artwork to differentiate it from main series 3D. The frame around it is all Donkey Kong Country inspired, the vines come from the Japanese Donkey Kong Country Returns logo.
  • Annoyingly, I could not find any crayons to do the Yoshi's Island art style with, so I had to improvise and use coloured pencils on a rough surface to make a crayon effect. Knowing my luck, the crayons'll probably show up any day now.
  • I went for Woolly World for the Handcrafted Yoshi painting, as I couldn't really find anything distinct enough in Yoshi's Story or Crafted World. I tried to counter that with the frame, I like my idea to use sequins as spots on the Yoshi eggs.
  • The frame for Wario Land: Shake It! is based on the one in this picture here:
    Aboard_the_Sweet_Stuff.png
  • The background for the Strikers one is based on the scribbly stuff around the Mario Strikers Charged artwork
  • The frame for Mario & Luigi is based on the battle interface from Bowser's Inside Story
  • The Paper Mario frame is based on the curtains that appear in certain battles in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • And as a final piece of unused content, I did intend for Anton to make the comment "Last time I'm letting you do an off-site presentation" on the final page, but I didn't have time/room to fit it in.
And to finish, here are those two pieces of non-awards related art I mentioned a few posts back:
Break Free (Lead the Way).png

Queens of the Jungle.png

I'd strap Wario to dynamite and attach him to a wall, but simply throwing him through it works too.

I feel like I need a flashing sign or something to remind me this thread exists... :P
Anyway, as I forgot about it again, here's another large post of art that I haven't posted since last time:
Peach, Daisy and Rosalina- Fancy Dresses.png

Birdo's Fancy Dress.png

These two are based on a Japanese advert for Super Mario All-Stars.
Peach, Daisy and Rosalina- Frontier Fashion.png

A couple of little references in this one, Peach's outfit is based on her Western Land one from Mario Party 2 with some embellishments, the shotgun Rosalina is holding is based on the Skeet ones from 2008 Wii and the pistols Daisy has are from 2012 Wii.
Rider Rosalina.png

Before someone says something, yes, I know Rosalina isn't available in Equestrian, and that Team Mario wears red jackets for Equestrian, but this was done before I was aware of the latter and I just went with blue because it looks good for Rosalina and I'd only seen Peach at the time so I thought it was red to go with her pink stuff.
New York Tourist.png

Yoshi and Poochy.png

Madame Broode and Chain Chompikins.png

Retro Girls.png

This one's based on their modern designs but with their outfits from the artwork for their first appearance.
Princess Luigi and Daisy.png

I think I'm going to stop saying that I'll update this regularly, as it never seems to work out, so I'll update it when I update it. :P Anyway, I've been busy doing some non-art stuff since then, so there's only two pieces that I really want to post at the moment:
Peach, Daisy and Rosalina- Surfing.png

I've had the idea for this one for quite a while now, before 2020 was even announced, let alone that it would include surfing and that Rosalina would be the guest for it, but when I knew that it was coming I had to do this one.
Happy New Year!.png

And this is just a new year piece I did based on some of the Mario Kart Tour content. I still haven't even got the game, I just like the designs.

And you may also have noticed the additions to my signature! Those are also ideas I've been holding on to for a while, and finally got around to doing. I just thought they'd be nicer than having pain links or boring icons in my signature. I might add more in the future if I join any similar things.

Just another couple, I've been a bit busy to get up to much at the moment.
Kong Krew.png

So, the couple of little references I threw in here are obviously the various guns they're holding (Coconut Shooter, Peanut Popgun and Gumball Popgun), the skull on Donkey Kong's hat is based on Bink from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, the feather is based on Tawks' colour scheme and the map that Cranky Kong is holding is based on the Northern Kremisphere, but it's kind of hard to tell as it's so folded up.
Aurora Rosalina.png

Despite how rubbish some of the rest of Mario Kart Tour is, they do come up with some fun outfits to draw.

Welcome back to the only time of year I actually regularly remember to update this thread! First up, here's my awards presentation for this year. I'm glad you all liked it, and thank you very much for the positive feedback on it!
ZggZ4E2.jpg

rBR13sh.jpg

oHAyhsg.jpg
I don't think I have anything much particularly special to say about this one, except I managed to do a stupid, as I originally intended for the Isle Delfino and Comet Observatory ones to be the other way around... except I'd read the results in the wrong order, so I had to put the Isle Delfino one in third. It didn't make an awful lot of difference though (It's a good job I didn't accidentally draw fourth place instead!).

And while I'm on the topic of awards, thank you very much to everyone who voted for my presentation from last year as favourite 2019 Awards Presentation! I really wasn't expecting to win, so it was a lovely surprise.

And secondly, I have a new somewhat awards-related project to share with you:
Hooded Pitohui.png
Shy Guy on Wheels.png
Superchao.png

I'm doing some artwork of users who signed up for awards presentation! When I've done them in the past, I haven't been able to many draw full-body images of anyone, and I really like a lot of your designs, so I felt like giving it a go! (Plus, it saves me from having to ask you guys for a reference every year :P) I'm planning on starting to work through all of the sign-ups this year roughly in order from now on (I just had really good ideas in mind already for these three), but I might need to ask a few people for a couple of extra details. If you missed out on signing up for my awards presentation and might be interested in something like this, or for some reason would prefer that I didn't do one for you (Don't worry, I won't mind), let me know in this thread and I'll see what I can do. Hopefully I'll be able to remember to update this a bit more regularly for a while as I do these! :)

Well, if you ever get to me, LGM missed the sign-up for this year and I'd like my character to be drawn with hers. Or at least, drawn separately and next to each other.

Here's the next batch, this time we've got Goombuigi, Fawfulthegreat64, Lakituthequick and MiracleDinner:
Goombuigi.png
Fawfulthegreat64.png

Lakituthequick.png
MiracleDinner.png

Well, if you ever get to me, LGM missed the sign-up for this year and I'd like my character to be drawn with hers. Or at least, drawn separately and next to each other.
That's fine, I'll do one for LeftyGreenMario when I get down to you. :)

Back