What do we do with Super Smash Bros?

Now that the proposal has passed, we have the ability to mark certain pages for deletion. There are two ways we can go about this: making a series of small proposals to take care of each individual element, or making one large proposal that encompasses everything that should be deleted in one fell swoop. We can also mix-and-match, with smaller proposals taking care of the smaller stuff while a larger proposal is carefully planned out. So, let's discuss.

First thought: the Subspace Emissary/Smash Run/Adventure Mode enemies should be merged away.

I support the idea. I feel like a huge list of "enemies in Smash" would be overly large and unnecessary, but I feel we could keep all the information we need to cover effectively by merging them into a "list of enemies in SSBM adventure mode", "list of enemies in Subspace Emissary", and "list of enemies in Smash Run."

I'm not sure about Subspace Emissary bosses. My immediate thought is they should stay as their own articles while enemies get merged, but I'm open to suggestions!

Time Turner said:
First thought: the Subspace Emissary/Smash Run/Adventure Mode enemies should be merged away.

I'm fine with this. Thoughts on major stage hazard enemies, like Metal Face? They could probably stay, or at least be merged with the stage information itself (though that would look clunky).

EDIT: I think the bosses should remain their own page, since they're important to how the characters meet in SSE.

Alex95 said:
EDIT: I think the bosses should remain their own page, since they're important to how the characters meet in SSE.
Eh. They're given no context as to who they are, and they're entirely interchangeable between each others in the story (besides maybe Ridley). And even then, people like Rayquaza and Duon are just kinda... there.

OK, personally, I think proposals-wise we should make larger proposals that deal with a whole category of articles; e.g., what to do about moves, what to do about enemies, what to do about items, etc. I'd say make enemies into lists, keep stages separate, potentially leave assist trophies separate (But I'm not 100% sure about that one), probably merge character-specific moves to the character's articles (Again, not fully sure), but I don't know what to do about items. I'd like to hear other suggestions too though, these are just my best guesses really.

Miu Iruma said:
I support the idea. I feel like a huge list of "enemies in Smash" would be overly large and unnecessary, but I feel we could keep all the information we need to cover effectively by merging them into a "list of enemies in SSBM adventure mode", "list of enemies in Subspace Emissary", and "list of enemies in Smash Run."

I'm not sure about Subspace Emissary bosses. My immediate thought is they should stay as their own articles while enemies get merged, but I'm open to suggestions!
I think this is quite a good idea.

Miu Iruma said:

I agree with this as well.

BBQ Turtle said:
I'd say make enemies into lists, keep stages separate, potentially leave assist trophies separate (But I'm not 100% sure about that one), probably merge character-specific moves to the character's articles.
I agree with this, other than Assist Trophy characters. However, I feel each item should remain separate.

Pot of Greed said:
BBQ Turtle said:
I'd say make enemies into lists, keep stages separate, potentially leave assist trophies separate (But I'm not 100% sure about that one), probably merge character-specific moves to the character's articles.
I agree with this, other than Assist Trophy characters. However, I feel each item should remain separate.
Items I'm curious about - what makes them different than, say, Pokemon? Or Assist Trophies?

Personally I stand by this list:

Miu Iruma said:
my personal view is:

-keep character pages
-merge enemy pages into a general list of enemies in Smash X
-merge special move pages into the associated character's page
-keep stages
-merge assist trophies into a general list of assist trophies in Smash X
-merge pokemon into a list
-merge items into a list

i realize this is kind of drastic but that's how i feel it
But I'd go along with a general consensus for other things if it arises. So far we have one for the enemies, at least!

I don't think anything needs to be done about our smash coverage
but if we have to do anything I support Blocky's proposal
minus merging items into a big list.

In my opinion, items are a major part of the series, like stages, that are commonly used in the series, while Pokémon and Assist Trophies are minor characters that assist the fighters after using specific items, so I feel it makes sense to merge them and keep the items.

I personally feel that Smash is more of a guest appearance than a crossover, so you may not agree with the points below. This is solely my opinion.
-keep fighters
-merge items, but leave the Mario items alone
-merge assist trophies by game, but leave the Mario trophies (like Waluigi) alone.
-keep stages
-merge special moves into characters
-merge enemies, but leave the Mario enemies (such as Metal Mario) alone.
-delete Pokemon (yes, I said "delete", not "merge"; these guys have nothing to do with Mario)

I know that last one is going to be the most controversial, but this is solely my opinion.

Just chiming in to say that although I didn't explicitly say it, I agree with there being no need to edit the coverage on the pages such as Metal Mario, Waluigi, Freezy, and other Mario ones.

TheFlameChomp said:
In my opinion, items are a major part of the series, like stages, that are commonly used in the series, while Pokémon and Assist Trophies are minor characters that assist the fighters after using specific items, so I feel it makes sense to merge them and keep the items.
To answer your question Blocky, this is how I feel about items. I can't really explain why I feel like the items are important enough, other than the fact that I just do.

As for Assist Trophy and Pokemon, I feel like those should be merged because without the actual item, they wouldn't really be there.

So, we've had a good amount of discussion! Let's see if we can't finalize our list of what will and will not be merged.

• Fighters: Keep.
  • Stages: Keep.
  • Items: Keep.
  • Enemies (Subspace, Smash Run, etc.): Merge.
  • Bosses: Merge.
  • Assist Trophies: Merge.
  • Pokémon: Merge.
  • Moves: Merge.

There may be a couple more bits worth discussing, perhaps with recurring bosses like Master Hand and whether items should definitely be kept, but this list is more-or-less finalized. After another quick round of discussion, the plan is to charge forward with a proposal to merge the listed subjects.

As an aside, is there anything that should be done about the scattered and miscellaneous subpages, like List of Mii Outfits or List of bonuses in Super Smash Bros.? My initial thought is that we can link to the SmashWiki whenever they're brought up, considering that the majority of these aren't particularly notable in the first place, but I'm open to feedback on this front.

Time Turner said:

I'm still for keeping these two, but if this is the majority consensus, then I guess I have to go with it.

Time Turner said:
As an aside, is there anything that should be done about the scattered and miscellaneous subpages, like List of Mii Outfits or List of bonuses in Super Smash Bros.?

List of Mii Headgear is also a thing. If the SmashWiki doesn't have these pages (I haven't checked), then we can probably move them over if they want them and then just delete them on our end (RIP my Mii images). Links to the SmashWiki articles can then be added on the Mii and game pages where they are needed.

It might be worth adding any missing Mario-related stuff on those pages to the respective sections on the character's places before they're completely scrapped, but once that's done I think they can go.

Alex95 said:
Time Turner said:

I'm still for keeping these two, but if this is the majority consensus, then I guess I have to go with it.
On the flipside, I'm still for merging the items, but the majority consensus seems to be to keep them. The (Maxim Tomato) articles (Fairy Bottle) are (Ore Club) generally (Team Healer) small (Back Shield) enough (Warp Star) to (Bombchu) merge (Rocket Belt) without (Smoke Ball) issue (Special Flag) (and some pages like Beam Sword and Ray Gun are worded redundantly and can be trimmed without issue), and I'm not convinced that they're notably notable considering how easy it is to skip or ignore them entirely (the special moves are arguably more present than the items). Still, despite my moaning, I'm not going to belabour the issue if the others are fine with how things are.

BBQ Turtle said:
It might be worth adding any missing Mario-related stuff on those pages to the respective sections on the character's places before they're completely scrapped, but once that's done I think they can go.
Pardon, but can you clarify which pages you're talking about?

Time Turner said:
Pardon, but can you clarify which pages you're talking about?
The list of Mii outfits and hats ones. Obviously, the non-Mario outfits and hats can be cut with no significant loss, but for the Mario-related ones (Such as the King K. Rool outfit), we probably need to mention on the characters' pages that there is a Mii outfit based on them in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U. From a quick look it looks like there's at least a passing note in some of the articles (Though some images may be required), but it might be worth a thorough check before deletion.

I'm against merging items personally.
I'm fine with trophies, assist trophies, and pokemon being merged.

Time Turner said:
  • Fighters: Keep.
  • Stages: Keep.
  • Items: Keep.
  • Enemies (Subspace, Smash Run, etc.): Merge.
  • Bosses: Merge.
  • Moves: Merge.

I agree with this, along with keeping item articles, though I don't see an issue with having pages on recurring bosses such as Master Hand and Crazy Hand.

YFJ said:
Also, I think outright DELETING Pokémon would be best.

I don't feel that we should completely delete Pokémon, as they are very similar to Assist Trophies, and I don't feel it would make sense to completely remove them just because they had nothing to do with Mario, when many items, Assist Trophies, and stages aren't from the Mario franchise either.

Back