Were there any moves in Mario Odyssey you didn't know about until playing awhile

Paper Luigi Balls

Lover of Luiginary Balls
Banned User
I didn't find out you could roll continuously until you hit a wall until until the game literally required it in the Vanishing Road. I just flat didn't know. It is very odd that the game never requires this move. I had already beaten all the Golden Koopas without it -- it most certainly would have come in handy to have had knowledge of it. I also didn't know about the move that let's you swim fast under water (if you don't have cappy or if you throw him first) with those big strokes until a Moon in Seaside Kingdom required it. It makes me wonder why the hell more Moons didn't require these advanced moves to be used? I am pleased that a lot of Moons actually required long-jumping and wall jumping. But from what I hear, some people who played the game for weeks still didn't know all the moves, which is ridiculous.

i don't know if I could imagine playing without the cap dive.

speaking of koopa races, I didn't realise you could shake to speed up the roll until I tried the cap kingdom koopa race and wanted to find out if there was a way to move faster. I also found out in one of the later races that pressing the jump button just as the cap returns gives you a little extra height.

Count me as one of those that didn't know about the cap dive until one of the costume rooms has a sign and a short demonstration on this. I didn't know I needed this until one of the Koopa races, which is I believe the only instance of that move being used. Basically since the button for throwing the cap is also one of the buttons required for a dive, I didn't know that when the cap is in mid-air, you don't need to hold the button to dive towards the cap. I had to learn this more thoughtfully in one of the later Kingdom's races, only because there's a handy shortcut to take when I do this.

Thank you for reading.

I didn't know about some of the non-motion control methods of special cap throws until I saw them in videos or figured them out late in the game.

But man, the cap pounce is one of the most useful moves in the game. I learned now to do it early on, thankfully.

winstein said:
Count me as one of those that didn't know about the cap dive until one of the costume rooms has a sign and a short demonstration on this. I didn't know I needed this until one of the Koopa races, which is I believe the only instance of that move being used. Basically since the button for throwing the cap is also one of the buttons required for a dive, I didn't know that when the cap is in mid-air, you don't need to hold the button to dive towards the cap. I had to learn this more thoughtfully in one of the later Kingdom's races, only because there's a handy shortcut to take when I do this.

Thank you for reading.
You are very welcome that I read your message.

What I did know is that if you ground pounded after spinning from a flower, you'd go down quickly with no windup. What I didn't know is that you can do that with your spin jumps too. Also, if you press and hold Y right after a ground pound, you'll start a roll at high speed. Combining these two is a great way to start Koopa Footraces.

NEXandGBX said:
What I did know is that if you ground pounded after spinning from a flower, you'd go down quickly with no windup. What I didn't know is that you can do that with your spin jumps too. Also, if you press Y right after a ground pound, you'll start a roll at high speed. Combining these two is a great way to start Koopa Footraces.
I doubt there's anyone who beat the game knowing ALL, and I do meanALL of the moves.

Back